Get to Know Me Tag REVISITED!

So I've been scouring the blog for the past hour or so looking for more material to add to my humorous family memoir that I'm writing for my senior writing seminar project (which let me tell you, has been a grueling undertaking--writing has just been really hard lately, and writing about my own life seems nearly impossible for some reason). Anyway, I've found a few good things to use, but I've also found some real doozies, and some super embarrassing stuff that I hope nobody ever finds even though it's on the web for anyone who really wants to blackmail me.

I've also found a whole host of Tag posts, which I guess was a big thing back in the early 2010s. I decided it would be fun to redo some of those old tags before I reread the old posts, and see how my answers compare! So, first, head over to my original Get to Know Me Tag post, which I'll link here. It was originally posted in 2014, so I was sixteen years old, and now I'm 21. Read that one, and then come back to this one and see how much I've changed, or if I've changed at all!

1. Are you named after anyone? 
     I was named after North and South Dakota since my dad was a truck driver. They wanted to name their kids after places on the map, so I'm named for the Dakotas and my brother is named for the capital of Texas. 

2. When was the last time you cried?
     I teared up a little bit on Easter when this sweet old lady we brought to church with us stood up and said how thankful she was to have a place to go to church again. It was just so cute and she had a tear rolling down her cheek, which made me want to cry too. 

3. Do you have kids?
     Lol nope. But I think I've decided once and for all that I do in fact want to be a mother someday. Although I am still adamant about not wanting to give birth. 

4. If you were another person, would you be a friend of yourself?
    Uhhhh probably not. I'd probably find me annoying. We usually don't like people who are too similar to ourselves. It feels too much like a competition. Plus the things about me that annoy other people would probably become evident to me and annoy me. 


monkey looking at mirror
Me meeting me. 


5. Do you use sarcasm a lot? 
     Definitely not as much as I used to! I can say that with finality after reading all my sassy blog posts of yore. Although, it's hard to tell when I was being sarcastic and when I was being dead serious in my blog posts...I was very very opinionated. I think I have simmered down a bit. 

6. Will you ever bungee jump?
     Eh, probably not. It doesn't sound that exciting to me. I'm not an adrenaline junkie. 

7. What's your favorite cereal? 
     I don't like cereal. I do like oatmeal though. Does that count? Is that technically a hot cereal? 

8. What's the first thing you notice about people? 
     Probably their clothes. I love looking at people's style. Or maybe hair--if someone has a really distinct hair style or color, that is often the first thing that stands out to me. 

9. What is your eye color? 
     Good old classic brown, baby. 

10. Scary movie or happy endings? 
     Happy endings for sure! I do not derive joy from being frightened! 
couple sitting on wooden bridge
Happy ending FTW


11. Favorite smells? 
     I love the smell of must, like old dank basements and cellars. I also love the smell of old books, and the smell of antique shops. Even the odd smell of thrift stores has a special place in my heart. I love all kinds of smells, so I could list them forever. Most of the smells I like are of old things and places. If we're talking like perfumey scents, I adore lavender. I'm not big into florals, so I prefer herbal scents. 

12. Summer or winter? 
     You know, I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm 90% sure that when I go to read my old "Get to Know Me" tag post, my answer for this question is going to be winter. But now that I'm older, and I've spent three winters cooped up in a dorm cell (er, room), I have a longing desire for summer like I have never had before. And even though I HATE to sweat, I think at this stage in my life I would rather sweat and have sunshine and free time and wide open spaces and long lazy days and time in my hometown than cold, dreary, dark, depressing winter. So that's definitely something about me that has changed. 

13. Computer or television?
     TELEVISION. I am in love with TV and movies and I'm not ashamed. There are just so many good stories out there! 
person holding remote pointing at TV

14. What's the furthest you've ever been from home? 
     Costa Rica!! This has definitely changed since the last time I did this post! 

15. Do you have any special talents?
I have a knack for recognizing actors from other movies that they're in. I'm also kind of good at looking at people and realizing who else they look like. 

16. Where were you born? 
     Waynesboro Pennsylvania--and I've lived five minutes away from there for my entire life!

17. What are your hobbies?
     Watching TV and movies, reading, writing, listening to music, listening to podcasts, thrift shopping, buying plants. 

18. Do you have any pets? 
     I have two cats, Blackie and Zipper, and a Great Pyrenees dog, Blitzen. 

19. Favorite movie?
     Ughhhh this question is so hard! Can I just list several movies I really like? Not counting mini series? Tramps, Strictly Ballroom, The Jane Austen Book Club, Far from the Madding Crowd, Little Miss Sunshine, Everything is Illuminated...there are a million more. 

20. Do you have any siblings? 
     I have an older brother named Austin and he’s 23 and just chopped his thumb on Monday at work and had to get stitches! Not related to the question, but fun fact. 
Austin and me pinching each other mercilessly at church on Easter.


21. What do you want to be when you grow up?
     Ok so college had made me reevaluate what it means to have a career when you grow up, because I’ve realized that I don’t actually want to do what I love with all my heart as a full time job or I’ll just come to resent it. So there’s a difference between what I want my sustainable career to be, and what I want my life’s significant work to be. As far as career, I would be happy working at the housing authority where I’ve been interning at because I love the environment and the cause. I’d also be happy working with special needs individuals, or working for s local newsroom or magazine. As far as my life’s work—the thing I am so passionate about that I will do it no matter if I never get paid and it never becomes my “job” will always and forever be writing. If I get published someday, cool. If not, that’s okay too—it won’t stop me from writing things I’m passionate about. 


So there you have it folks! Now I'm going to go read my old responses and see how much I've changed.

Thoughts after reviewing old post:

Awwwww Kansas was the farthest I'd ever been! That's so cute. And I definitely do not remember having a rabbit named Casper...I mean I know I had a rabbit but I had no idea that's what his name was. Shows you how invested I was in that rabbit. Woops. Somehow I thought my responses would have been longer back then because most of my old blog posts are suuuuper verbose but actually this one ended up a lot longer!

Some things that definitely did not change were my distaste for cereal, my appreciation for strange smells, and my adamant-ness about happy endings being way better than scary endings. I guess some things never change, teehee.

-VaughnDL 

Comments

Popular Posts