2019 Winter Update

*Written on December 16, 2019*


“Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.” Edith Sitwell

As of now I've been on break for a week. I'm not going to lie it has been a glorious break so far. I got my grades back on Sunday so now I can completely relax and do nothing. Unfortunately, the silence and the calmness will not last for long because the craziness starts on Wednesday. I guess I have one more day then. That went by fast.

I've been thinking about this blog a lot and frankly what we should do with it. I knew when we started the blog there would come a time when it would stop. I knew our lives would get busy and chaotic and maybe writing about our lives on the internet would become monotonous. There would be a point where we would stop writing about books, music and movies. At the same time this blog still holds a special place in my heart and I think it always will. I used to make a post at the end of every semester/season where I would post pictures and talk about them. I stopped doing that for two reasons. One is that blogger would remove the photos. I would go back to the posts a month later and the pictures would be gone. I wish that I was tech savvy enough to know why or how to fix it. The second reason is that I kind of stopped taking pictures with my camera. Film is expensive and the camera that I use is not being sold anymore. It's also very difficult to find the film and this also makes it even more expensive. This makes me extremely sad because I love that camera but I can't use it as much anymore. 

I wanted to find a happy medium in posting on the blog somewhat regularly and documenting my life. I thought that I would post a life update every season. Yes, that would mean I would only post four times a year but it is better than nothing. I've come up with a few categories that I'll talk about and we'll see how this goes. 

General Update

I'm at home for winter break and will be here for over a month. This is my last winter break so I'm trying to soak it all up and enjoy every minute of it. I also love winter maybe even more than Fall now. Salisbury doesn't really have a fall so it was hot and then it got cold, then hot and now I guess it's colder. It was in the fifties when I left. We had our first snow day and I was overjoyed by it. This is the one season where I can really relax and not have to worry about much. I've already finished a book in the week that I've been home and to the library twice so I'm doing just fine. The semester was stressful with the start of a new internship and a difficult professor but I've survived. I've missed Colt but I've been cuddling with him every day and he's always thrilled to see me when I get up in the morning and when I come home. I'm more than ready for Christmas and to see my aunt, uncle and cousins from Virginia on Christmas Eve/Day.


College/Internship


I will be heading into my final semester of college in the spring. That is so crazy to say. The classes are harder this year. Unfortunately, we are doing a lot of research which is everyone's least favorite class. It's very dull and dry and not very useful unless you want to go into macro social work and I don't know anyone who does. Everyone I talked to wants to do clinical. Other than that the other classes were not that bad. One of the classes has to do completely with our internship. The internship is a lot and sometimes stressful. I love my supervisor though she's very sweet and we have very similar personalities. She's also young so she knows my professors and how stressful classes can be. There are four other interns who are wonderful and we all get along really well. I was a little worried in the beginning because we have different personalities but it actually works. We pick on each other all the time but it's out of love. I'm going to miss them by the end of the year. Some of us are going straight into the graduate program, one of us is going to a different school and some of us are going straight into the field. I've decided not to go into the graduate program next year. That's mostly because of two reasons. One, it's too expensive. Second, I'm tired of school. I don't want to stay in Salisbury. As much as I wanted to I don't see myself living there. There are no mountains, it's humid and none of my family and friends are here. I've loved the people I've met, the professors I've had and I'm grateful for the opportunities I've been given. My heart just isn't there. I will get my master's eventually and they even offer an online program which is more expensive but also more convenient. 


Reading/Reading Challenge

My main goal for 2019 was to read more. My mental health got bad when I started college and I was only reading 30-40 books a year as opposed to 70-80 books. I don't need to read that many books in a year but I missed it. I wanted to fall in love with reading again. I also wanted to read books that were on my TBR shelf for awhile. It was so much fun to read all those YA books that were so popular in 2015-2016 or even before that. I fell in love with Throne of Glass and Six of Crows. My favorite book this year was probably Queen of Shadows which is the fourth book in the Throne of Glass series. I managed to get Swag to read Six of Crows which she also loved. I'm definitely slowing down but that was to be expected with school and finals. I've read 78 books so far which I am thoroughly pleased with. Will I be able to do that in 2020? Probably not but maybe?

Journaling




I think I'm about to go onto my twenty-seventh journal soon. Last year around this time I was barely writing anything. Maybe because I was going through a big life transition. From September to now I've written in three journals which is insane. I guess with my internship and school there is more to write about. The one thing I asked for Christmas was journals. If anything I need to slow down on writing because I can't afford to buy a journal every month. More than anything I'm grateful to be writing again on an almost daily basis. I'm enjoying documenting my chaotic life. I was able to organize my bin of journals because I'm starting to forget the order of them. That was a little sad for me because I used to know the chronological order. There's too many of them though and I think I got them in the right order. Thank God for dates. 


Future Plans

Right now the main goal is graduation and that's all I'm focusing on. The future is daunting right now but I'm trying to stay positive. While I've officially been an adult for a few years after graduation is when it becomes real. I'm going to try to enjoy the last few months of college. Then a job and getting my master's and God only knows what else. 

DFTBA
-AB



Comments

Popular Posts