What to Watch on Netflix

1. When We First Met
This is an adorable movie and if you're in the rom com mood you should totally watch it. It's basically a Groundhog Day/13 Going on 30 mashup so it's kind of predictable in that sense, but the ending was really cute.

Image result for when we first met

2. Nailed It!
I don't know why I found this show so funny, but I did. I think it's because it reminded of when my friends and I would try to bake things and they'd turn out not quite as expected but we'd have fun making them anyway. Plus the people on the show don't take themselves seriously at all and are just there to laugh and have fun, which I appreciate.
Image result for nailed it show



3. Candy Jar
Another adorable rom com. This one is the classic "I hate you now I love you" trope, but the characters and the subject matter were original enough that it didn't feel over-done.

Related image

4. The Great Interior Design Challenge
I only watched a couple episodes of this, but it kept my attention! While I didn't love any of the designers' styles, I still found the show interesting because it kind of reveals how the interior design world parallels the fashion world in that you have to be very original and take chances and even make what I deem to be ugly things in order to avoid being boring or cliche. The "contestants"/designers were interesting, down-to-earth people too.
Image result for the great interior design challenge



5. 3%
This show made me fall in love with Portuguese. It sounds so strange and I love it. But other than that, it's also a really interesting, thought-provoking show. Kind of similar to The Hunger Games or Divergent, but with a couple twists. Season 2 just came out on Netflix and I think I might like it even more than the first season, which is saying something because I loved the first season. Favorite characters include Fernando, Gloria, and Ezequiel. All of the characters have a lot of depth to them and you never know quite how they're going to act, which makes the show even more interesting. Plus, there are characters that you absolutely despised when the show started that you start to love, so A+ for character development.
Image result for 3% season 1



6. The 100
Okay, the first two or three seasons were great, but I stopped watching after that because it had just turned really gory and violent and all of the love triangles/squares that I cared about had died off and I just ceased to care what happened to the characters because it turned out they were all pretty crappy. But the first few seasons of this show are awesome and you should totally watch them. This is another show that makes you love characters you once hated (and hate characters you once loved).
Image result for the 100 season 1



7. Given
Wow. Watch this movie just for the cinematography. Seriously, it's so beautiful. I'd watch it on mute to be honest. Like the story line was nice and all, but the cameramen made this movie worth the watch.
Image result for given documentary



8. Dare to Be Wild
Okay, this movie was pretty cheesy and the love interest irked me, but I watched the whole thing and it really made me appreciate garden designing and made me want to have a garden some day. It's based on the true story of Mary Reynolds, the youngest woman ever to win the Chelsea Flower Show.
Image result for dare to be wild



9. Living on One Dollar
I watched this a couple years ago so I don't remember a lot about it, except that it was good. It's about a group of guys who live on $1 a day for two months in rural Guatemala.

Image result for living on one dollar



10. Lion
I watched this movie with MF and it was so so good. The cinematography is stunning and the little boy is so so so cute. Definitely a tear-jerker. And (spoiler alert!) it's based on a true story!
Image result for lion movie

11. Travelers
I totally binged this show. Now they have a season 2 on Netflix but I haven't started it yet. I'll have to add it to my list. The show is about a future where they've figured out how to send people's consciousness back in time (to the 21st century) into recently deceased people's bodies and they use this technology to try to save the future from destruction (by altering the past). I think I made DL watch this one with me....
Image result for travelers netflix



12. The Rain
Guys. This show is so scary but so good! I started watching it on a whim and was sucked in in the first two minutes. As soon as I realized it was dubbed though, I switched it over to Danish with English subtitles because dubbing is a major pet peeve of mine. It's interesting to see how many things they say in English though. Yeah, the premise of this show is way over-done, but I love post-apocalyptic/survival books/movies/shows so this was right up my ally, as they say.

Image result for the rain netflix



13. Containment
This show is super similar to The Rain, and I actually watched it before The Rain, at DL's recommendation. It's super intense, super emotional, and I either loved or loved to hate each character. Definitely shed a tear over one particularly heart-wrenching scene. Jake and Katie forever........haha.
Related image



14. Set It Up
Buzzfeed wasn't wrong when they berated Netflix for always coming out with super awful original rom-coms, but they also weren't wrong when they said that this one was a hit! It was funny, cute, and the characters actually had personalities and fell in love with each other because they liked each other and not just each other's bodies, which is very rare to find in romance/rom com movies in the 21st century. If you're looking for a light-hearted, feel-good movie, this is the one for you.
Image result for set it up netflix



I hope that this post gave you some good suggestions for shows and movies to watch in your free time this summer. Or next semester when you need something to de-stress from school...
-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts