Free State of Jones

I went to the movies last night for a rare dose of Father/Kid bonding time (it was me, dad and Noob). We saw the movie Free State of Jones and it was really, really, really good. 

I went in with pretty much no expectations at all. I'd seen bits of the trailer on the tv but basically all the knowledge I gleaned from that was that it was about slavery or the Civil War or something, and Matthew McConaughey was in it. Well, I'm a sucker for a historical flick, so I was a-okay with seeing the movie, especially cuz it meant I got to spend some time with my dad and brother. I'm so glad I went because the movie completely blew away my few expectations. 

Basically what it was about was this guy Newton Knight (Matthew McConaughey) who deserts the confederate army after his nephew dies in his arms. Once he takes his nephew to be buried, he finds some connections and ends up living in te swamps with a small group of runaway slaves. After a while, the small group becomes a large group comprised of not only runaway slaves, but also more army deserters. They kind of form their own company and don't really stand for either side (they basically just want their homes back and the war to end, and for the army to stop taking all their food and clothes.) Newton Knight is their leader and dude. McConaughey did SUCH a good job. He gave Newton Knight so much depth and personality, like he was this bad@$$ guy but was also super sensitive and loved everyone so much he tried to fight all their battles for them. And, okay, this is weird, but I always have respect for actors who play characters who get dirty. So I definitely respect all the actors in Free State of Jones because they were all in a perpetual state of sweaty, greasy haired, dirty clothed-ness. Which obviously made it more realistic because they were living in a swamp for Petes sake. Plus it was the 19th century, so like, there wasn't any Pantene to pass around if you know what I mean. Anyway, something else I loved about this movie was that Gugu Mbatha-Raw was in it!!!!!!!! I love her!!!!! She's so pretty and such a great actress. 

Though I didn't actually cry during this movie, I got pretty stinking close a few times. The whole thing just did such a great job of illustrating the struggle of everyone--not even just the deserters and runaway slaves. The union soldiers and confederate soldiers, and mothers and wives and children too. You got to see everyone's perspective and realize that nobody wanted to be involved in such a bloody and horrific war. After a certain point, the honor of fighting and even the reasons WHY they were fighting wore off and they just wanted to go home and get back to some semblance of normal. It was a very emotional, respectful, and powerful film and I absolutely recommend it to anyone. I'd watch it again in a heartbeat. 

P.s. It was based on a true story too!!!! Which is always super cool. Makes you feel like you're learning something. 

-VaughnDL 

Comments

Popular Posts