The Nanny Diaries (SE Version)

     Today we got home earlier than usual because my aunt had a conference call from 5-7 so I headed to the bedroom and broke open my emergency gummy bears and sat on the floor eating them for a while and then just a few minutes ago I caught JP lying under the bed eating Nutella with his fingers and instead of being the nice nanny and letting it slide I was like "How many Nutella have you had?" (he barfed a few nights ago because he ate five packs of Nutella) and he was like "Huh?" because he had his headphones on and so I repeated myself and then he was like "What?!" And I repeated myself again and he was like "Huhhh????" even louder so I got mad and he was like "What?! I really can't hear you!!" And I was like "Take your headphones off!!!" So he paused his show and told me he'd only had one Nutella and when I looked under the bed, sure enough there was one Nutella container...plus a cream cheese wrapper. This kid eats cream cheese plain. Ew. So I cleaned up his trash and let him be. Not my fight to pick. 

     Today was the first day I was officially the "nanny", as in I was the only one in charge of this kid. My aunt had a meeting from 8am-12:30pm so JP and I were left alone in the apartment. I kept falling asleep and then waking up in a panic thinking that JP had woken up and realized he was basically home alone and gone crazy. Around 10:30 (we've been going to bed around 2AM and waking up around 11. It's an awful schedule, I know) I woke up to the sound of something being pounded and, thinking it was JP, I jolted awake and whipped around, expecting to see an empty bed beside me but was happy to see that JP was still in it. Thank goodness. He was kind of half-awake though so I crawled out of bed, went to the bathroom, and came back, hoping he'd fall back to sleep and I could read in peace for a while but then he sneezed and so I was like "bless you" and then he was ready to get up. 

     I had instructions to get a bath ready for him and then make him breakfast while he bathed so I did that (having to knock on the bathroom door twice to tell him to turn off the water) and I guess I'm half-decent at warming up soup and slicing some bread and sticking some pre-sliced individually wrapped cream cheese on a plate because he ate it all. Then I was instructed to help him with his "travel journal" and "travel scrapbook" so I just kind of hovered around and watched him glue down the stuff his mom had laid out because I wasn't about to help this kid make some craft he clearly didn't want to make. Then he played with his Magformers for almost an hour while I wrote in my journal. It was probably the most pleasant morning to date. Then my aunt came home and we went to Notre Dame and Saint Chapelle (both cathedrals). The stained glass was beautiful but JP was being annoying and even got shushed by two little old ladies. 

     Overall, it's been a relaxing day...kind of on the boring side but I needed a day like that. Oh and we got macaroons! I've had a dark chocolate, a pineapple, and a raspberry. JP took one bite of the raspberry then threw it in the trash which was basically a sin because they're the equivalent of $2 a piece so my aunt dug it out of the trash (it had just landed on a piece of paper) and washed it off and I ate it. No shame. I still have an orange one left and I'm so excited to eat it. 

     Because I can't exactly make a living as a blogger (although that would be amazing) and teaching doesn't pay well enough to travel around the world...I think maybe there's a future for me as a traveling summer nanny. I'll teach during the school year and then over the summer I'll go with families on their vacations and watch their kids while they go gallivanting through foreign lands...sounds good to me. 


Quotes of the Day:
"Religion is a scam."-someone walking through the Notre Dame. 
"Get ready to be shushed by the guards."-some random dude talking to my aunt in the Saint Chapelle (referring to JP's loudness). 
"Go pick up your trash from under your bed. That's not a trash can."-a Mean Nanny Somewhere in Paris

Day 948 Song Recommendation: "Esmeralda" by Ben Howard. I was reminded of this song because the gypsy's name in The Hunchback of Notre Dame is Esmeralda. 

-SE Wagner 

Comments

Popular Posts