Once More To The Lake

This morning the day was not looking to be a good day. I was running late and on the way to school we were stuck behind a bus and then we had to run up the hill to make it to class on time. There are some reasons that I love school and I absolutely love English class. We read the essay "Once More To The Lake" by E.B. White and someone made a comment that by the end of the essay E.B's son had died which is dumb and even when we corrected him he refused to believe us. The sentence that made him feel that way was,

"Languidly, and with no thought of going in, I watched him, his hard little body, skinny and bare, saw him wince slightly as he pulled up around his vitals the small, soggy, icy garment. As he buckled the swollen belt suddenly my groin felt the chill of death."
I think I understand what he's saying there. Just because the word death is in the story doesn't mean that someone is dead and when someone dies I doubt you would feel something in your groin. I think E.B. was talking about as if he didn't belong to the lake anymore. That he was older and seeing his son enjoy the things that he used to do when he was his age was hard for him. We all grow up and love new things and the things that we used to love just don't feel the same because we've moved on or grown up. I used to love going to the lake every summer. We would swim all day everyday, go tubing etc. This year it just didn't feel the same though. I felt as if I didn't belong, it was beyond lonely. That's also the kind of way that I feel with high school. I think the reason that i'm sad isn't because i'm not seeing my friends it's because i'm moving on. High school isn't the same anymore and I find that college is way better. Today in my public speaking class we had a discussion about communication and what is communication? We had a real and thoughtful discussion about technology, God, mental diseases like schizophrenia. My classmates were actually respectful of other people's beliefs and thoughts. It was something that I had never been a part of in a classroom setting. Also if they end class early you can just leave. You don't have to wait for a bell to ring. If you have to go to the bathroom you can just get up and go. Is there more work? Yes but going to class with people who actually want to be there is something that I just can't get over. It changes so much about the classroom and the attitude of it.
Moving on sucks and I know that i'm still in high school but it's over before you know it and we'll be college students, "adults". Am I sad? Yes because I high school was fun except for Junior year and so far it's fun but there's that little tear and it's getting bigger and bigger. Eventually we'll all get that chill of death in our groins.
DFTBA
-AB

Comments

Popular Posts