Summer Of Change
I know that the title sounds like a hallmark movie but please read the rest of this.
One of my goals this year was to change. I didn't know exactly what that meant but with summer coming upon us I have started to think about that. As many of you know this year has been really stressful/miserable. There have been a lot of tears, anxiety, confusion, wanting to rip out my hair etc. But now that the school year is coming to a close I am starting to begin to think about Senior year. I can't believe that it's so close. As people we are so used to normalcy that change sincerely scares us and I am no exception. If life is normal and somewhat good than I am fine with that. The problem with that is that it gets boring and we go on with the boring schedule. Here are some of the things that I want to do before the end of this year.
I am sick of normal.
One of my goals this year was to change. I didn't know exactly what that meant but with summer coming upon us I have started to think about that. As many of you know this year has been really stressful/miserable. There have been a lot of tears, anxiety, confusion, wanting to rip out my hair etc. But now that the school year is coming to a close I am starting to begin to think about Senior year. I can't believe that it's so close. As people we are so used to normalcy that change sincerely scares us and I am no exception. If life is normal and somewhat good than I am fine with that. The problem with that is that it gets boring and we go on with the boring schedule. Here are some of the things that I want to do before the end of this year.
I am sick of normal.
- Get healthier, I hate healthy foods, there I said it. I would much rather have real chocolate than fat free chocolate yogurt any day. At the same time though summer is when I sit on my but all day and watch Youtube. It's not exactly the healthiest thing in the world and also by the end of the day I feel like crap. If your reading this I give you permission to keep me accountable with this. We have this hill at our school and we call it 'Hell Hill' the name fits it perfectly because it feels like you are in hell walking up it. I have asked my friend Jill to walk up it with me three times a week. If Jill were a normal person she would have said no but this is Jill. The girl is willing to do almost anything that sounds like a challenge. Running a marathon would probably sound fun to her because she would want to have the 'experience'. I'm not joking she told me she was going to do the JFK Marathon one day. I told her it was sixty miles and she shrugged and I said "I know." We all need at least one Jillian in our life.
- Cut my hair, this one is kind of controversial because some want me to do it and others don't. I have had the same hair for way to long. It's obnoxious, heavy, wavy and get's frizzy if it is the least bit humid outside. It's time for a change. Maybe i'll actually wear my hair down more often afterwards.
- Become more confident, I am not the most confident person in the world. I hate public speaking. I get beyond nervous because what if I say the wrong thing then i'll look stupid and so on and so forth. I don't know how but I got the courage to take a public speaking class. Right now it makes me want to throw up. At the same time people have told me that it has helped them with their fear of public speaking. I will also be taking this class with my cousin who is also shy and we'll be there for each other for moral support.
- Get out of my comfort zone, this kinds of goes with number three but this year I have made decisions that will affect next year. I don't know how but I grabbed some more courage and decided to take an AP course. Even though my mind was telling me I couldn't do it, I did it anyway. I also decided to take a creative writing class this may involve reading short stories or whatever I write for everyone to hear. Again I ignored my mind and went with my gut.
- Spend more time with friends, I also tend to spend the summer alone. The first week of summer it's just me, myself and I. I enjoy every little second of it. Then the second week roles around and that's when the boredom sets in. Summer is supposed to be spent with the people you love and I love my friends. I don't want to just see them again on the first day of school. I also don't want to lose touch with my friends that are seniors now. I love them very dearly and don't want to lose them so quickly.
- Make an attempt to choose happiness, do I really need to explain this one?
- Get closer to God, This year has really tested my faith. It has been a rocky road. There have been peaks and valleys if you will and often times I have ignored him and that's not fair to him. He has given me so much the least I can do is humble myself and thank him. Have a little conversation with him everyday.
If you are reading this I want you to keep me accountable. Slap me if you have to.
DFTBA
-AB
I remember watching this for the first time and just balling at the end. There is just something about people crossing a finish line after 26 miles that gets to me. I can't wait to see which one Shay Carl will do next.

I'll keep you accountable! I'll slap you if I have to! You're going to have a great summer and I cannot WAIT to see your hair! (And all your other awesome changes as well).
ReplyDelete