June 2015 Wrap Up

1. 99 Days, Katie Cotugno 2.5/5

This is one of those books that I bought on a whim. I was a the bookstore and I just had to get a book. I picked up this one and thought it looked interesting. I know that we shouldn't judge a book on the liking the characters but honestly. I hated at least one thing about each character. I know that characters do something stupid and then eventually they learn from their mistakes and move on. If something bad happens to you let me give you some advice.
DON'T DO IT AGAIN. SERIOUSLY.
Most of the guys in this book were complete douche bags. Which was a disappointment. The reason I give it a 2 instead of a 1 is because of one line. Yes one line that totally defines feminism and a kick-ass girl who doesn't take crap anymore. At the same time this book does deal with cheating and that's a topic that not a lot of people want to discuss the real problem that I had with this book was that the main character didn't even feel remorse and I don't feel that she really learned a lot or felt bad about what she did to so many people.
Disappointing.



2. P.S. I Still Love You, Jenny Han 3/5

I think it's safe to say that I didn't love this book as much as the first one. The first book could have easily been a standalone. Lara Jean was sort of annoying throughout the entire book. It felt like this book was only written to make more of a profit.

I am really tired and disappointed.






3. Off The Page, Jodi Picoult, Samantha Van Leer 5/5

I think that I will love Jodi Picoult forever. I was a little bit hesitant in thinking that she could write a cute fairytale story but of course as always she and her daughter deliver a beautiful and breath-taking story.



4. A Court Of Thorns And Roses, Sarah J. Maas 4.5/5

The fact that I finished a full blown fantasy book in one day says something about that book. I was not a crazy Sarah J. Maas fan but this book has convinced me that she is a good writer! This book was such a good retelling of the Beauty and the Beast. It was full of fighting, romance, faeries and it was just interesting. It was stressful reading because I had not idea how this book was going to end. I'm kind of happy about how it ended but I also know that there is two more books and God only knows what can happen in two more books.
Just please no love triangle, no triangles. They're awful, don't do it to me.


5. Confessions Of A Shopaholic, Sophie Kinsella 4/5

I don't know why I hadn't read this book sooner. I guess because I had seen the movie and I don't really like reading the book after seeing the movie. Yet there is only one movie and there is seven books I believe. I am glad that I picked this up and seeing that it was completely different from the movie. I actually got to see the how I pictured the characters and they were nothing like the people from the movie. This is definitely a funny, light hearted read and so much better than the movie. Can't wait to read the rest of the books.




6. Finding Audrey, Sophie Kinsella 5/5

Before Reading:
I would just like to thank Sophie Kinsella for writing a book that deals with mental health. Not just mental health but Anxiety Disorder. As a person who struggles with Social Anxiety it gives me a great feeling that people are wanting to end the stigma of mental health. This is just one step to not only dealing with mental health but taking it seriously. The power of a book is very strong and imagine what would happen if we kept writing books about it? Or writing about characters who deal with and actually acknowledging it

After Reading: If you want to know more about anxiety disorder please read this book. Sophie captures it beautifully. I didn't know how she was going to incorporate humor into the book but she did and it made it that much more enjoyable. I loved the fact that we didn't see Audrey fully recovered from her disorder but healing and moving on because it takes a while and a lot of strength. The bits about the family were hilarious, the whole computer ordeal was the best. Poor Frank. I loved every character. It was so great to see this dysfunctional families going through all their struggles.
Now I actually want to try Starbucks. The world is going to end.


7. The Rosie Effect, Graeme Simsion  2.5/5

I absolutely loved the Rosie Project and I was as equally excited for the companion which is this book. The book felt to long for the plot line. The characters were still awesome but the book was way to boring to fall in love with like the first one.
I wish I could have enjoyed it more.


8. Crown Of Midnight, Sarah J. Maas 4.5/5

I will say that it was better than the first one. I'm just going to talk about the things that I liked first and then we'll get to the bad stuff. The writing is so different than anything i've ever read. It's like the main character is narrating and at the same time she isn't. I also enjoyed the characters a lot more than the first one. I knew more about their personalities and I found out what I liked and didn't like. I won't spoil but there was one part where I really cried because if you read it you understand why.
Celena also got more annoying. She can be awesome and at the same time I just ask myself why is she doing what she's doing? It's painful to read and it raises my blood pressure. I have no idea what the next book is going to be like so since it's longer I can imagine it will be more stressful.


9. All The Light We Cannot See, Anthony Doerr 4/5

This is one of those books that I had seen at the store and bought on a whim. I had heard a lot of good things about this book. The characters were really good but at the same time I didn't feel a strong connection to the story. It got really confusing with switching back and forth with the dates and the characters. So Swag if you read this book please clear some things up for me.



10. Interrupted, Jen Hatmaker 4/5

This book was gut wrenching, the entire time I was reading it I just felt sick. Someone said to me once that Americans need to help ourselves before we can help other countries. If we think realistically America will never be 100% okay. We live such abundant lives and so many people say that they aren't happy and it's amazing how if help others how much happier we can become. People are dying in seconds and that's not okay. It was eye opening to see what pastors and christian people say about giving money to others. That's what really got me sick. It's time for us to wake up and begin to help others. We don't necessarily have to go to other countries but simply helping the poor. Donating money, clothes, food etc. I can really understand why other struggling countries look at us with disgust. How we can spend so much money to buy a new TV but they won't donate money to a charity that could give it to someone who really needs it.



11. Vanishing Girls, Lauren Oliver 1/5

I could not finish this book. I am a fan of Lauren Oliver and I think I went into this book with two high of expectations. Also maybe psychological thrillers aren't my thing? I hate the speed of them and usually you can figure out the end in the middle of the book. I got to the point where I just didn't care anymore. It seemed like the Gone Girl book but for teenagers.
I wish I could say that I wasn't disappointed.
This reading slump is on a roll.



12. The Heir, Kierra Cass 4/5



I told myself that I wasn't going to read this book because of how much anxiety that the first three books caused me. Every time I picked up this book I had butterflies in my stomach. I also thought that 'The One' ended on a good note and that it seemed kind of stupid to do a continuation. But when I saw a signed copy at the store I had to get it. 
This book was somewhat difficult to get through and I don't know if that's because of my reading slump or not but I found myself just not caring. I already know who I ship Eadlyn with so I don't really care about the other guys. The ending though! Why? Why would you do that. You just had to go that route Kierra? Why!?


Overall:
I know that it's not really the end of the month but I don't really want to pressure myself to read the next book really fast because that will not help the reading slump. This month has been a 'blah' kind of month I don't think I've ever read this many books in one month. There were good ones but mostly not that great.
Hopefully July is better.
DFTBA
-AB

Comments

Popular Posts