Do What You Want

About a week and a half ago one of my best friends went to Spain for a summer trip. Part of me is mad at her because last summer she went to Italy which is a dream of mine. At the same time I am really happy that she is taking the time to see the world before her choices become limited.
And that's what I'm going to talk about.
You'll probably see a bunch of "We're getting closer to being done with high school" and "I don't want to go to college." posts. I apologize in advance.
That's just the joy of being a senior.
Anyway the day before she left we decided to do a last minute video chat and after all the laughing at each other and saying stupid stuff we got pretty serious. Leah is one of the few people that I would talk about "The Future" with because damn it's scary and a lot of people, especially adults have opinions about what you should and shouldn't do. I started telling her the story of the YouTube channel "Jacks Gap" which we both were really inspired by. Then she told me that she was considering not going to college for a while because she had no idea what she wanted to do. That she was thinking about going to different countries. Of course I was the logic one and asked about money and how she wouldn't know anyone and what if something bad happened? Even though I was saying it, I really loved the idea and the fact that she was so brave to even consider it. Now i'm not saying that I'm going to jump on a plane next fall and go to some foreign country. I always dreamed that I would go to college, get married, have kids and live in the country. For some reason that dream is dying a little and it's not really bothering me as much as I thought it would. To just see a different country would be nice. 
I think a lot of people have this dream and not a lot of people actually do it. I was on Amazon today planning for future birthdays and Christmas. (The two things I try to plan ahead.) and I saw the book Packing Light, by Allison Vesterfelt which either SE or DL have talked on the blog before. I decided to get the book and I went on Allison's twitter and she tweeted:

"I hope in my short life I can learn how to stop trying to impress people and just love them instead,"

Amen.

I really think that relates to the people who are not just seniors but the people who have no idea what they are going to do with their life. Imagine how many opportunities were missed because someone didn't want to upset someone or they just wanted to make someone proud. I don't think she could have emphasized the short life part more. Life is way shorter than we think and most of the time it feels like it's going by way to quickly. This summer is going  by really quickly and I hope for the last year of being at high schooler. Go to work, be with friends, drive to new places, don’t take life to seriously, say goodbye to people I might not see again because life happens. 

Also to love people rather than impress them.

DFTBA
-AB

Beautiful Spain.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts