Between



     I started a new series on Netflix called Between and to be honest, the acting is subpar and the story has been done a million and one times, but it has good cliffhanger endings and TV is TV (by that I mean, it's better than being productive). The show kind of reminds me of The Andromeda Strain. Except that almost everyone dies in The Andromeda Strain. It's weird to see Jennette McCurdy playing a serious role. I don't know how I feel about that. She actually does a pretty good job, as much as I don't like her character. What I do really appreciate about the show is that while one of the actresses has Down Syndrome, that isn't what defines her character. I like that we're finally seeing diversity in television without it having to be the center of attention. It's kind of the whole The Fault in Our Stars thing, where Hazel has cancer but that isn't what defines her. Krystal Hope Nausbaum, who plays Amanda in the show, has Down Syndrome, but that isn't what defines her. That's just a part of her, like my height and hair color are a part of me. Those things don't define me- my hobbies and interests and the people I surround myself with define me, just as Krystal Hope Nausbaum's acting ability and family and interests define her. And another thing I like about the show is that it has a great soundtrack. That's always a major plus.

Day 556 Song Recommendation: "Smother" by Daughter.

-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts