Having Fun is Fun

This is what all the freshman were thinking.
     Well, my freshies are all squared away and ready for their first day of high school! You know what I think is funny? How much things change in just a few short years without you even noticing it. Like I remember when I was a freshman coming in for orientation the day before school started, and I remember that I was wearing new jeans, an oversized men's shirt over a tank top, and high top sneakers. Now, those "new" jeans are in the dump somewhere because they ripped when I was getting into SE's grandma's car last year, I no longer wear that oversized men's shirt because I realized that it didn't look very good on me, and those high top sneakers are basically in tatters, but guess what?? I wore those same sneakers today to freshman orientation again! Only this time, instead of being the angst-y incoming freshman talking to my friends about how stupid the whole thing was and how annoying all the Link Leaders were, I AM the annoyingly peppy Link Leader that the 9th graders are mumbling profanities about. And you know what? I'm glad. When I was a freshman--and I think this goes for most people--I thought it was cool to pretend to hate everything and be annoyed with everyone around me, and I thought it was lame when people actually tried to have fun at freshman orientation, and cheered people on for the embarrassing games. But now that I'm going into my third year of high school, I realize how flawed that thinking is. How is it lame to have fun?? Having fun is FUN! And you can talk about the "dumb" Link Leaders all you want, but honestly, they are here to help you, whether you like it or not. It's your decision whether you take the help they're offering you. I guess it all comes full circle. Two years ago, I was rolling my eyes at the pointless cheering and tacky Hawaiian leis, and now here I am, cheering people on pointlessly and dawning a tacky Hawaiian lei, all for the sake of helping the freshman feel at home. And two years from now, those freshman today that were rolling their eyes and not wanting to participate in the activities because they think they're "dumb" will probably be Link Leaders too! Which is cool, because that means they've matured and realized that being helpful and kind and goofy isn't dumb, it's kind of fun.

Movie Recommendation: Slumdog Millionaire. I've heard ceaseless praise about this film ever since it came out in 2008, and I FINALLY got a chance to watch it yesterday. It is as amazing as everyone says that it is. It has one of the most unique plots I've ever seen, great casting, wonderful cinematography, a cool soundtrack, all the works. If you haven't seen this movie, it's a must-see. It will make you feel both deeply sad and incredibly happy all within the span of two hours. :) The trailer makes it seem like it's mostly a romance, but it's not really.
                           -VaughnDL 

Comments

  1. I want to see that! I had no idea that's what it's about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts