The Program Book Review
I just finished The Program and the epilogue alone was enough to make me recommend this book to someone just so that we could discuss it. At first I was like, "What the heck?" and then I was like, "Oh crap" and then I was like, "Wait, what just happened and is there a sequel?" It was a heck of an ending, let me tell you.But anyway, from the beginning.
I loved the premise of this book, but kind of hated the characters. Specifically, the main character, Sloane Barstow. She was one of those pretty girls who knows she's pretty and takes advantage of it and seems to only drink Diet Coke.
The guy main characters were also lacking in good personality traits.
Basically, everyone had problems with mood swings and communication issues.
But as I said, the premise- that suicide is an epidemic and the only cure for it is The Program, a treatment that erases all "infected" memories, leaving behind a person who doesn't remember who he/she was- was interesting and the book was worth reading for the premise. And the epilogue. But I did have to kind of slug through it in places. The romance was obnoxious 65% of the time, and I felt like there were a lot of opportunities to make the plot more complex, but none were taken. I'm making this sound like a really crappy book, but I would actually recommend reading it. There were some pretty cool plot twists that I didn't predict, and it was a pretty quick read (if I hadn't been so busy doing "other things" (surfing the net)).
Okay, so there is a sequel. Thank goodness. I just want that dang epilogue explained. Actually, I don't know if I'd read the sequel... I think I'd get AB to read it for me and tell me what happens.
This Goodreads review kind of sums up my thoughts on the book:
"This book was an entertaining read, I will give it that. Unfortunately, I had some major problems with it. For one thing, you didn't get any good descriptions of anything really besides James. It is true it leaves the reader to his or her imagination, but a better writer would give you some of both.
Secondly, Sloane was very dependent on boys. She depended on James to get her through Brady's death, she depended on Realm to get her through the program, and she even depended on Roger to help her remember one memory. And that memory was about two boys.
Third, Sloane doesn't love Realm, she states that to the reader but she stays with him and lets him call her "sweetness". Even after she is reintroduced to James and starts to have feelings for him, she stays with Realm. It is like she wants to insure one boyfriend before she leaves the first.
Fourth, besides from boys Sloane's character wasn't that great. She couldn't even figure out how to not eat the pills she was given when she knew they were erasing her memories.
Personally, I don't like reading books that depict the main character as a needy, dependent on boys female, who can't think for herself."
Amen to that.
Day 204 Song Recommendation: "The Best Thing" by Ivy.
-SE Wagner

Comments
Post a Comment