Pre & Post TFiOS
Pre-TFiOS, 6 P.M.:
I've been bored for the past 8 hours because the highlight of my day doesn't happen until 6:40, when DL, AB, and I go to see TFiOS. I've wandered around the house, incessantly craving the cookies and other delicious treats leftover from TJ's party. I've spent mindless hours on my iPad, read The Program, which is taking me forever to read, ate food that I didn't want, and just been kind of depressed. It's cloudy.
Time to go make a grilled cheese without mustard for dinner. Yay.
Watching TFiOS was a lot like reading The Book Thief... I thought there was something wrong with me when we were nearing the end of the movie and I had not shed a single tear while AB sniffled and cried beside me. AB was crying after the first minute of the movie, and yet I didn't cry when Hazel was rushed to the hospital, or when Hazel said she was a bomb, or when Gus told Hazel the cancer was back, or when Gus started treatment. I was getting really mad at myself for not crying, and I didn't know why I wasn't crying. I mean, I knew what was going to happen, but that shouldn't have made it less sad. I was like, trying to cry, but I just couldn't. And then I did. It was at the scene where Hazel is going to the Literal Heart of Jesus to eulogize Augustus and her parents stop her and they get in a fight and Hazel tells them she heard her mom say "I won't be a mom anymore" when she thought Hazel was going to die. I started crying then, and cried kind of on-and-off after that.
P.S.
OH AND THE SOUNDTRACK! I just started reading DL's post and I remembered that I forgot to mention the soundtrack! It was so great.
-SE Wagner
I've been bored for the past 8 hours because the highlight of my day doesn't happen until 6:40, when DL, AB, and I go to see TFiOS. I've wandered around the house, incessantly craving the cookies and other delicious treats leftover from TJ's party. I've spent mindless hours on my iPad, read The Program, which is taking me forever to read, ate food that I didn't want, and just been kind of depressed. It's cloudy.
Time to go make a grilled cheese without mustard for dinner. Yay.
Post-TFiOS, 9:30 P.M.:
When DL, AB, and I were sitting in our huge, comfy recliner chairs, waiting for the previews to start, I was legitimately sweating and shaking, I was so nervous for how it would turn out. Then it started and I was like, "Okay. Cool."
When DL, AB, and I were sitting in our huge, comfy recliner chairs, waiting for the previews to start, I was legitimately sweating and shaking, I was so nervous for how it would turn out. Then it started and I was like, "Okay. Cool."
The acting was stupendous. Isaac, played by Nat Wolff, was my favorite character. His pre-funeral eulogy was so beautifully perfect. One of my favorite scenes from the book, the scene where Gus tries to buy cigarettes at the gas station but his G-tube is infected and he has to call Hazel and she gets there and he's a mess and he started crying and cursing and saying "I hate this I hate this I hate myself" was also one of my favorite scenes in the movie. It was heartbreaking and just... that was when I was convinced that Ansel Elgort was Gus. The vomit and tears and saliva and blood... It wasn't fake. It was him. He believed it. He was Gus in that moment.
The moment I knew Shailene Woodley was Hazel was when her parents come into her room after she finds out that Gus died, and she just starts sobbing. That wasn't fake- she was truly torn apart by it, and you could tell. You can't fake that kind of crying.
The moment I knew Shailene Woodley was Hazel was when her parents come into her room after she finds out that Gus died, and she just starts sobbing. That wasn't fake- she was truly torn apart by it, and you could tell. You can't fake that kind of crying.
I was disappointed that they cut out the part where Hazel recites that red wagon poem and then adds her own lines, but I see why they cut it. It wouldn't have translated well to the screen. I was also disappointed that there weren't flower blossoms in Amsterdam and that Oranjee wasn't on the river, but I get it. It was a good cinematic choice. Plus, they probably would have died of hypothermia had they filmed it outside...
I was also disappointed that they changed the Encouragement, "Without pain, how could we know joy?" to "There are no rainbows without rain." But whatever. I'm sure there's a legit reason, and that is a very minor thing.
I have to say, I've never heard so much crying in a theater before. It wasn't rude crying- there was no sobbing, or "OH MY GOD!"s, but there was a lot of sniffling and heavy breathing.
I was also disappointed that they changed the Encouragement, "Without pain, how could we know joy?" to "There are no rainbows without rain." But whatever. I'm sure there's a legit reason, and that is a very minor thing.
I have to say, I've never heard so much crying in a theater before. It wasn't rude crying- there was no sobbing, or "OH MY GOD!"s, but there was a lot of sniffling and heavy breathing.
When we left the theater, it was pouring down rain, the kind of rain that is loud and deep and makes you feel small. It felt appropriate for the occasion.
Day 198 Song Recommendation: "Stars" by the xx.
P.S.
OH AND THE SOUNDTRACK! I just started reading DL's post and I remembered that I forgot to mention the soundtrack! It was so great.
-SE Wagner

Comments
Post a Comment