I Want Cookies and Daisy
I JUST WANT A COOKIE!!! What the frick!
Anyway, today I woke up at 7 and spent 4 hours volunteering at a Humane Society Mega Adoption event in the Petco parking lot. Let me tell you what the Petco parking lot temperature was: Hell. My Lord Heavenly Father, was it hot. Ain't no way was it only 82 degrees. Maybe in the shade in some grass somewhere, but not baking on black asphalt. I fell in love with a Boxer mix (I think she was really a German Shepherd mix) named Daisy who had been seized as a cruelty case and had a couple scratches on her head, probably from her abusive owner. After my mom helped a family adopt the dog she'd been walking around with for a few hours, we went over to look at the other dogs and I saw Daisy sitting so calmly and happily in her cage, and she just looked so sweet and I had to take her out, and once I did, I fell in love with her. She had no fear of people, even though she must have been abused by her last owner. She was the cutest, sweetest dog ever.
And then this lady came over and started petting her and then started scratching at where the cuts were on her head saying "Doesn't that feel good? Doesn't that feel good?" in that annoying baby voice people use when talking to little kids and animals, and I was like, "Um, yeah, I'm sure it feels great to have someone scratch off your freaking scab, lady! How would you like me to do that to you?!" and these little chunks of fur were coming off her head and I was like, "Dude, lady! Go away!" and once she'd freaking rubbed a bald patch on my poor Daisy, she walked away, leaving Daisy with a fresh pink mark on her head. I was super pissed off. But what could I say, "Stop petting my dog, bi*tch."? She thought she was being nice. And Daisy was entirely too well-mannered to complain. If only she knew "Sick 'em"...
Anyway, this other lady saw her and liked her, so she went and got her husband and son and they liked her too, so they adopted her. I almost started crying. I wanted to keep her! She was mine! And I didn't really like the lady who was adopting her. She used that annoying baby voice. The husband and son seemed okay, but they didn't seem like Daisy's parents. The whole adoption process takes about an hour, with all the paperwork and whatever, so I had Daisy out of her crate the whole time on a leash, and we walked around with the guy and his son and the dad bought Daisy a strawberry snow cone and she ate the whole thing. He took out a giant pocketknife to cut open the side of the cardboard cup with, and I was like, "Was that really necessary? It's cardboard. You rip it." But to each his own. Anyway, after all the paperwork was done, and Daisy was sold for $75 dollars, I watched her go along with her owners and I watched the guy smoke a cigarette in his pickup truck before they left and I just hoped they'd treat her right.
I would do anything for her to have been adopted by me. Or at least someone else. It wasn't that the people who adopted her seemed like bad people, but you know how sometimes you just get that feeling that something doesn't quite fit? Well, Daisy didn't fit with them. She fit with me. She loved me and I loved her before anyone else. That's right- anyone. I exaggerate. But still. I know I'm supposed to be happy that Daisy got adopted, but I'm not. Maybe that's selfish. There was another lady that met her and fell I love with her and she was also volunteering at the event, but with another animal organization. When the lady who wound up adopting Daisy left to go get her husband and son, the volunteer lady said, "If she doesn't come back, I may just have to take you." (to Daisy). But the other lady came back and adopted Daisy and the volunteer lady had to say goodbye to Daisy. She would have made the perfect mom for Daisy. They just fit together. Why'd that other lady have to come back?!?!?!
| Specifically a cranberry and macadamia nut cookie leftover from TJ's party. |
| Daisy looked a bit like this. |
I would do anything for her to have been adopted by me. Or at least someone else. It wasn't that the people who adopted her seemed like bad people, but you know how sometimes you just get that feeling that something doesn't quite fit? Well, Daisy didn't fit with them. She fit with me. She loved me and I loved her before anyone else. That's right- anyone. I exaggerate. But still. I know I'm supposed to be happy that Daisy got adopted, but I'm not. Maybe that's selfish. There was another lady that met her and fell I love with her and she was also volunteering at the event, but with another animal organization. When the lady who wound up adopting Daisy left to go get her husband and son, the volunteer lady said, "If she doesn't come back, I may just have to take you." (to Daisy). But the other lady came back and adopted Daisy and the volunteer lady had to say goodbye to Daisy. She would have made the perfect mom for Daisy. They just fit together. Why'd that other lady have to come back?!?!?!

Comments
Post a Comment