Geisha Intrigue

    "7" Day 2:  Well, there's nothing like starting off strong! Or, in my case, weak, and sugary. So everything was going swimmingly, my school lunch actually fit within the bounds of my 7 diet, which was really surprising and exciting, and when I finished eating, I just stopped thinking about it all together, because it was no longer a worry. So when MF handed me a forkful of her deliciously decadent triple chocolate cake, I didn't think twice about scarfing it down. Until like thirty seconds later when I realized what I'd just done. Oh well, I'm sure it was just the first of several mistakes that will inevitably occur during 7. No harm done, especially since it's only day 2. I've decided that every day I'll write a little blurb about how things are going.

     Now on to something else.
     It feels like I haven't made a real, legitimate post in quite a while, so today, I'm going to finally hunker down and do a real post about a real topic and do a real movie recommendation where I actually TALK about the movie I'm recommending and everything, instead of just posting a trailer and calling it a day. So here it goes.

     So a few years ago, I bought the book Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, based mostly on the fact that I liked the cover, but I read it and loved it. I felt transfixed by the alluring geisha lifestyle. I don't know why. It was like I was peeking in the curtain of some secret society, a whole other world full of mysteries. The geisha have intrigued me to no end ever since. Mulan is one of my favorite Disney movies, I dressed up as a geisha for Halloween two years ago, I had an Asian themed Birthday Party for pete's sake, and recently I watched a documentary about a modern geisha house.
     When I read Memoirs of a Geisha, I honestly thought it was a biography/true story at first, because it just felt so real. I felt this euphoric pull towards the story. I think if they invented time traveling machines, I would not only travel back to the 1960s, but also back to the 20s and 30s when geisha tea houses were at there peak popularity, and experience that lifestyle.
     I recommended Memoirs of a Geisha, the movie, a while back, and something that made that movie especially good was the fact that it was really close to the book. The actor that was chosen for The Chairman was literally exactly what I pictured The Chairman from the book to look like, which was really really cool.
I would literally consider using my Make-A-Wish to be a geisha for a day.
     I mean, I don't know what it is about them, but I am just so fascinated with the lifestyle. The idea that you devote your entire life to learning things such as music and tea-serving and dancing, and entertainment, just to wear beautiful kimono and hairpieces to impress rich guys. That sounds so shallow, but so alluring, and geisha can make TONS of money from it! And it sounds so easy, but it's a life's work, that's for sure. Kimono weighs like, 50 pounds, and you have to sleep on a special little neck stand so your perfectly styled hair doesn't touch the ground. You have to learn how to show JUST enough wrist, but not too much to arouse some rich senator man to BUY your virginity. Why is such a thing so coveted? It's plainly scandalous. So why do such ridiculous lifestyle choices intrigue me so much? I have absolutely no idea. If you haven't read the book already, I highly recommend Memoirs of a Geisha, and after you read it, you have to immediately watch the movie, because it's really good.

Movie Recommendation: The Impossible. I watched this movie this morning while I was getting ready for school and it was really good. It's about this family that gets caught in a tsunami while on vacation, and get separated from each other and have to search for one another. It was really heartwrenching and touching. It stars Naomi Watts, who is the actress from The Painted Veil, which as I'm sure you know is one of my favorite movies. Here's a clip:


                                                     -VaughnDL

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts