Drink, Drank, Drunk

"7" Day 3: Things are going well so far. The hunger hasn't set in yet, although I will say that I really want an oatmeal creme pie. But I would just like to say that one of the things that will definitely make this month ten billion times better is the fact that my Mom is being totally awesome about it. She took me out last night to two different grocery stores so that I could buy a bunch of 7 Specific foods, and she's even been trying to cook things that I can eat, which is really amazing. My whole family is actually being really cool about it, which is a blessing. :) (She did, however, mistakenly offer me some delicious looking oatmeal raisin cookies.)

     Okay, so one of my personal beliefs is the idea of not drinking alcohol. Yup, I'm a total teetotaler, and always will be. While most of my beliefs stem from my religion, and the religious practices that go along with being a Mennonite, my belief in not drinking alcohol actually has its roots in a different area of my life.
     My grandfather, "Pappy" was a happy, wonderful person who loved Christmas more than anyone else in the whole world, and loved St. Bernards, and his kids and his grand kids, and the world in general.When he was sober. But when he was drunk, he was mean. I've seen my father reduced to tears in the kitchen, recounting tales of his drunk father, and I refuse to repeat history. My father doesn't drink, and neither does my mother, and I will follow in their footsteps.
     There are so many things that it's easy to feel disconnected to. For example, it's easy for me to say that I do not agree with abortion when I've never been in a situation that required me to think deeply about it. But the subject of alcoholism strikes a little deeper in my life. From a bystanders point of view, you could say that alcoholics are terrible people who do not deserve to be forgiven. But my Pappy was one of the most loving, and wonderful people ever. How can I say that he doesn't deserve to be forgiven or that he is terrible when he dressed up like Santa Claus and held me on his lap? I can't because it's not true. That, however, doesn't mean that I have to make some of the same choices that he did. His drinking more or less led him to the grave, and caused sadness is my father's life, and mine too, in some ways, because he died when I was very young, so I never got to know him as well as I would really like to. It's because of these things that I've made the decision to abstain completely from alcohol of any kind.
No thank you.
     I certainly do not condemn people who don't feel the same way. It's a personal choice whether or not you drink. It's just that my experiences have shaped my beliefs, and I believe that you should let your experiences do the same.
     I mean, Jesus drank wine, wine is mentioned endlessly throughout the Bible. A glass of wine now and then with dinner never killed anyone. But I'm just afraid that drinking is something that could hinder my ability to use my full potential in other areas of life, and that's why I won't allow it into my life.
     Plus, come on, we all know the consequences of heavy drinking. If you don't, just go on YouTube and search for "drunk driving accidents" and you'll be very well informed, trust me. I think it's important to think long and hard about how you're going to live your life based on your history and your experiences.


Movie Recommendation: I'm subscribed to MovieFone on YouTube, and today they released the trailer for a new movie called Magic in the Moonlight, so I watched the trailer, and it looks really really good. It has Colin Firth and Emma Stone, two actors who I like a lot, and the plot seems very unique, which is often hard to come by these days since so many films have been made already. Here's the trailer.


                              -VaughnDL

P.S. I just found this awesome article about celebrity teetotalers!! Check it out here.

Comments

Popular Posts