Ten Awesome Shows That Aren't On Anymore

     Today, if you couldn't guess from the title, I'm going to be talking about some pretty amazing shows that either ended their runs and are no longer producing new episodes, or shows that got cancelled and cut short, so hope you enjoy, and I'll be putting these ten shows in my recommendations page if you want to check out some more information on any of them.

 Ten Awesome Shows That Aren't On Anymore
1. Boy Meets World
Pretty much anyone you ask who grew up in the 90s has at least heard of this show, and that's because it's seriously one of the greatest out there. I remember that I saw my very first episode of this probably in kindergarten--I would always watch a show or two in the mornings before school because I had afternoon kindergarten--and I instantly fell in love with it. I'm still a huge BMW fan to this day.
What's It About?:It tracks Cory Matthews, Average Guy from 6th grade until college, and will have you laughing until your sides hurt, and crying just as much.
Who's It For?: If you like long running family-appropriate sitcoms, this show is perfect for you.
2. Drake and Josh
This show should have won an Oscar, I swear. Seriously, this show was so pivotal to my childhood. I am the person I am because of these infamous step brothers. Just kidding, but this show is seriously awesome.
What's It About?: After their mom and dad (respectively) get married, Drake Parker and Josh Nichols must learn to live with each other, despite a conniving little sister and having little to nothing in common.
Who's It For?: If you want a tame, but hilariously silly kids show that translates well for older audiences too, you'll love these goofy dudes.
3. Jane By Design
When this show got cancelled after a measly one season, I was M-A-D. So many plot lines were left open: who does Jane end up with? Nick (ew)? Jeremy (ewww)? Billy (yesyesyes)? What happens with Jane and her mom?? What about Ben and Miss Shaw? What about that backstabbing b-word LuLu??? I'm still steaming. Now I sate my undying desire for an ending to this show by watching FanVids on YouTube and reading super lame FanFic.
What's It About?: Jane Quimby, unpopular girl (Yeah right she's totally gorgeous) lands her dream job at an elite fashion firm, and there's only one problem: they don't know she's a teenager. Between juggling her fashion job, school drama, the return of her long-lost mother, and her feelings for her best friend Billy, Jane has her hands FULL.
Who's It For?: Tween to teen girls who like pretty clothes, cute boys, and double-life drama. Sure, it's a show about a completely unrealistic situation, but that's what makes it fun!
4. The Nine Lives of Chloe King
Yet another show cancelled after a pittance of episodes. Although I wasn't AS upset about this show's cancellation as I was about JBD, I was still pretty angry. I mean come on, how hott is that guy on the right? Yeah, well, he was JUST ABOUT TO END UP WITH CHLOE FOREVER BUT THEN HE FREAKING DIED AND WE NEVER GOT TO SEE IF HE WAS REALLY DEAD OR IF CHLOE BROUGHT HIM BACK TO LIFE OR WHAT HAPPENED. Why would you do that to me ABC Family???
What's It About?: Chloe King, part of this weirdo ancient tribe thing, has some special cat like powers, including nine lives. As if high school hooha and a love triangle isn't enough to deal with, now she's being chased by an assassin.
Who's It For?: If you like things of the sci-fi thriller persuasion, and you have a taste for adorable romance, you'd be a total Nine Lives Nerd.
5. Christy
Before I say anything else, if you are interested in watching this series, DO NOT WATCH ANYTHING THAT DOESN'T HAVE KELLIE MARTIN IN IT. There are several versions and sequels to this show that do not star Kellie Martin, and I absolutely cannot stand when they try and continue an already perfect series with someone else as one of the main characters! That is a travesty to the integrity of the storyline!!!!! If it's not Kellie, it's not Christy. Okay??? I do wish that there were more seasons in the Kellie Martin version, but alas, I'll take what I can get. This has got to be my alltime favorite show in the whole world, and I do not say that often. It's all thanks to my Mom.
What's It About?: Christy Huddleston is nineteen and naive, but has a great ambition. She travels alone from her comfortable home in Ashville, Tennessee to the rough highlands of the Smoky Mountains, specifically Cutter Gap to teach school. Going from fancy city life to living in a place where most homes have only one room and no electricity, Christy realizes she is in way over her head. By the grace of God and the help of her friends at the Cutter Gap mission, Christy sticks it out and teaches school to the impoverished children of the Gap. Christy learns to appreciate the mountain life, begins to care less about the luxuries of her home, and of course finds herself caught in a love triangle between the Mission's young reverend, and the Highland doctor.
Who's It For?: If you like inspirational and spiritual series, historical fiction, or just a good wholesome feel-good show, Christy is a great choice for all ages.
6. Bunheads
Yet another heinously unfinished ABC family series. I understand that if viewership is lacking, it's sometimes necessary to cut a show, but what about us fans who DO care???? Isn't there a way to appease everyone? Like have a revealing finale where the show is like "Okay, we don't have enough viewers to continue this series, but here's what would have happened had the show continued" and then have a two hour end show that wraps up any cliffhangers! That makes sense doesn't it? I think it does.
What's It About?: A down and out showgirl marries a rich dude on the spur of the moment and moves back to his hometown with him to help his eccentric mother teach ballet class.
Who's It For?: This insanely quotable and side-splittingly funny TV show appeals to many groups of people, but mostly teen girls to 20-something women.
7. House of Anubis
Okay, don't expect this show to be intellectually furthering in any way, and please don't take it seriously. I love HOA, but I do realize that the acting is kind of second rate, and the mystery story line is pretty lame-o. Still, it was funny and fun, and I seriously applaud House of Anubis for actually following its plot the whole way through and not leaving any unanswered questions when it ended. Plus, let me just say that my Mom, who is not a TV watcher outside of game shows and obscure British dramadies, did fin House of Anubis "pretty entertaining". That's right people, HOA is MamaVaughn approved.
What's It About?: A rag-tag group of Brittish teens get caught up in an Ancient Egyptian curse, and must solve the mystery under the strict and watchful eye of their house guardian (who coincidentally is part of the curse too).
Who's It For?: Tweens and teens who aren't too critical of slap-stick mystery and less-than-perfect acting skills will find this Nickelodeon original quite charming.
8. Sabrina The Teenage Witch
My unexplainable love for Melissa Joan Hart is not the only reason for my intense appreciation of this 90s sitcom. I mean, Sab the Teen Witch is just magical! There was a time in my life (like literally four months ago) when not a day went by without me watching at least two episodes of Sabrina. I don't know why this show is so compelling, maybe its all the pun infused humor, or the endearingly snarky (and totally fake) black kitty cat, or the adorable awkwardness that is Harvey Kinkle. But whatever it is, it all adds up to make a show that's at the top of my list.
What's It About?: Well I feel like the title is kind of self explanatory, but nonetheless, Sabrina the Teenage Witch is about a teenage girl living with her two wacky aunts who finds out she's a witch, and must learn to control her powers lest she, I don't know, turn her arch nemesis into a jigsaw puzzle--oh wait that actually happened.
Who's It For?: I don't know a single person who wouldn't enjoy this show! I'm serious, it's totally versatile. Sure it's not hard hitting drama or serious thriller, but it is great fun all on its own.
9. Saved By The Bell
My love for these Bayside sweeties runs deep my friends. I grew up in a heartbreaking love triangle between Slater, the totally hott hunk of sweet meat, and Zack, the witty and charming preppy blonde. I still can't decide who I'd rather be with. Maybe Screech. Anyway, this show will always harbor a special place in my heart, and I will force my hypothetical children to watch and appreciate it with me when I'm grown up. There's just something so surreal about the techni-color frizz-haired world that this charismatic group of friends revolves in. It's an AU I'd love to be a part of. Also, as weird as it may sound, I totally ship Zack and Lisa! I know they were only together in one episode, but they seemed so perfect for each other!! #Zackisa Morrtle
What's It About?: Pretty much nothing, and at the same time, everything all at once. In all honesty, Saved By The Bell is a show about everyone's ideal high school experience. It's a place where jocks and nerds and cheerleaders coexist in harmony, and everyone wears mis-matched wacky 90s clothes and still looks totally amazing!
Who's It For?: Anyone who wants to watch a show about true friendship at its best will love this lighthearted teenybopper sitcom.
10. Sister, Sister
When I write my autobiography, there will be a very large section about media of my childhood and teen years, and all of these shows will play essential roles in that section, but Sister, Sister was literally my all time favorite show at one point in my life. When I was 10 or 11, pretty much all my life choices were dictated by Tia and Tamara. They are just the epitome of well rounded modern teen girls.
What's It About?: Twins, separated at birth, discover each other out of the blue at a shopping mall and move in together, along with their polar opposite parents.
Who's It For?: This show is not only seriously funny, it also tackles some tough topics like adoption struggles and race and has a great message about the meaning of "family". If any of that appeals to you, Sister, Sister might very well be your Soul Series (AKA a TV show that you are obsessed with and love with every fiber of your being).

--------
While I apologize that this list seems to be dominated by teen oriented shows, specifically from either the 90s or very recent years, I don't apologize for the content of the shows I listed, because each and every one of them are totally amazing series that are well worth the watch. Hope you enjoyed! :)
                                               -VaughnDL


Comments

Popular Posts