Born to Run
Well, I totally just ditched reading my government chapter in order to read this blog. Well, and do other homework. And go to a two hour confirmation rehearsal. DL and AB already said it, but I'm going to say it again- health class is seriously making me paranoid. For the past two days, I've either walked out of class feeling itchy and like I need a full-body scrub-down and a total cleaning of my entire house, or feeling like every mole on my body was melanoma. Ah! I'm already paranoid enough. Like AB, I'm a bit of a hypochondriac. I've gone on WebMD far too many times for illnesses I definitely did not have. That's why cancer is so scary- it can grow inside of you unseen, unnoticed for months-years- and by the time your body is willing to give up its cover and show you some symptoms, it's too late. The body is an amazing machine, but it's not invincible. It bruises and breaks and bleeds and destroys itself. But we can control it. The best way to do that is just to EAT RIGHT and EXERCISE. Of course, go ahead and indulge yourself every so often with ice cream and chips and double fudge brownies, but don't eat fast food every day, and of course, eat your veggies. :) Maybe we should just rename this blog "ADVICE COLUMNS GALOR". Sorry about that. Actually, I'm not sorry. Because you know what? I want you- YES, YOU!- to be here tomorrow and the next day and 50 years from now. So I'm not going to apologize for wanting you to be alive.
Day 151 Song Recommendation: "Run" by Snow Patrol. If you don't like Snow Patrol, I suggest you learn how.
When I was looking through our iTunes account to find a song to recommend, I saw the song "Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen, and I was reminded of the book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. I read this book last year and it was probably one of the most inspirational/motivational books I've ever read. I was out running every week while I read this book, and for about a month afterward. But then I quit. But I'm running again! Seriously, read this book. You don't think you can run because you don't have that "runner's build". There's no such thing. EVERYONE was born to run. It's in our blood, ingrained in our minds. It's like a primal instinct. Christopher McDougall, at the beginning of Born to Run, was not an enthusiastic runner. He found it painful and not fun. By the end of the book, he was doing 50 mile races. Of course, he didn't go from being a reluctant runner to an ultra marathoner just like that, but he was transformed by all of these different runners he met who taught him about running, and why they run. It's worth reading. Even if you despise sports and hate running and hate exercise and never plan on running a mile, heck even 200 feet, you should still read it.
-SE Wagner
-SE Wagner

Comments
Post a Comment