Book Censorship

In one of my classes for school we had the opportunity to make a survey about a controversial topic that we were passionate about. Some people didn't take this project seriously and picked other topics and honestly I was going to do the same thing. 
Then I started thinking...okay, I have a Tumblr, Website and a YouTube Channel dedicated to books. There was a obvious option right in front of me. 
So I did a survey on Book Banning and Book Censorship. I will admit I am a bit of a conservative and stand by traditional values. When it comes to books though, it's a completely different story. I believe that we should be able to read the books we want, with the topics we choose. 
One of my friends who is a die hard republican asked me if I was a republican myself why would I be so open to letting children and teenagers pick what they want to read?
Here's my opinion,
Books are a sense of freedom to a lot of people. Bringing up a sensitive topic in a typical conversation can be awkward. So the things that we have questions about don't get answered because we don't want to be the weird one bringing up the topic rape. Books are sometimes the only place where we are able to learn about topics. Even if we don't agree with a certain topic or subject you should at least be educated about it. Understand why people believe and support the movements etc. that they do.  
One of my favorite books is Judy Blume's "Are You There God It's Me Margaret". I read this book when I was a lot younger. I loved it, I adored that it talked about what it was like to be a girl and growing up. How lonely it can feel. Some parents believed that this book was inappropriate and that the people who should tell their kids about growing up and 'changing' should be them. 
Um, honestly when were you going to tell your child that is in high school or middle school about their 'emotions' or 'hormones'? They have already heard about it from their friends or have seen it in other places. Another book that I love and is well known is 'Looking For Alaska' by John Green. 
If you haven't heard of John Green you clearly having been watching good You Tube videos. 
Anyway this book has been banned in many schools in Texas. Thank God it has not been banned in mine. 
There is this really bad, disgusting, erotic sex scene. 
Hold on, don't leave me yet. 
John wrote this awful scene to make the next part ten times more beautiful. a scene that was not physically sexual. 
The reason that they banned this book was because they thought that it would cause teenagers to have 'immoral thoughts'. 
Why are teenagers so underestimated? It's insulting.
Here's a link to John Green's video talking about 'Looking For Alaska' being banned.

Comments

Popular Posts