April Movie and TV Madness

Ok I have set a challenge for myself that I'm not allowed to write more than just a couple sentences because I already watch too many movies per month, and then I write way too much about each of them and even I get bored of it. So I'll try my best. This month was definitely a major mixed bag when it comes to media. Let's jump in

GIF by Kim's Convenience - Find & Share on GIPHYKim's Convenience Season 4
★★★★☆
Where to Watch: Netflix
I liked this season better than the last I think! Even though I adore Jung and Shannon together, I kind of miss the unresolved romantic tension (but that's always my favorite part of any romantic arc). Anyway, Janet was WAY more likeable this season, and there were some really hilarious and endearing moments and story arcs in this season. I am pumped for another season, even though I can start to feel things winding down with this show, which is sad.


photosets ray liotta brandosgifs whoopi goldberg tina majorino ...
, Corrina 4.5/5
★★★☆
Where to Watch: $2.99 to rent on YouTube
This was such a lovely, feel good period movie. Reminded me of other films like Flipped, The Help, Man in the Moon, stuff set in that era of the 50s to 60s. Whoopi Goldberg is honestly so dazzling in this, and the little girl knocks it out of the park with her acting!!! The aesthetic, the heartwarming story, and the little funny moments really make this film sparkle. Highly recommend.






Jeremy Sisto and David Walton in Break Point (2014)
Apparently no gifs exist for this movie?? Nonsensical
Break Point 5/5

Where to Watch:  .99 cents to rent on Amazon
The dad from Suburgatory teams up with one of Jess from New Girl's boyfriends, Cyrus from Andie Mack plays their ball boy and JK Simmons plays their dad. What could be better??This movie was extremely endearing. I find no fault with this film whatsoever. Very good redemptive brotherhood movie.




Farce the Music: Tiger King Country Reaction Gifs
Tiger King 4/5

Where to Watch: Netflix
Would give it 5/5 if it weren't so overhyped and if people weren't treating these real people as if they're just amusing zany characters. But truly the documentarism is top notch.



The Bodyguard DNF (Did Not Finish)
Where to Watch: Amazon Prime
the bodyguard, whitney houston | The bodyguard movie, HoustonI mean it goes without saying that Whitney Houston is gorgeous and talented. But why is everybody fawning over hairline receding, no personality Kevin Costner but SLEEPING on that chauffer guy??? He was so attractive??? And really funny?? Who is he? Why haven't we seen more of him? Quite frankly, HE should have played the bodyguard. I'd want him guarding my body any day, way more so than bland Kevin Costner that's for sure. I also just felt like the body guard and Rachel had absolutely ZERO chemistry and just randomly ended up in bed together because the plot called for it. Blah. Couldn't finish it because I was super not invested.

STONEHEARST ASYLUM GIF | GfycatStoneheart Asylym 3/5

Where to Watch: Netflix
This was recommended to me by my brother and sister in law. It was good and had some compelling plot twists, but I did not like how they kind of romanticized mental illness as this like, sexual, sexy kind of thing?? Also just not really my style of story. I like lighthearted, brightly lit movies with redemptive endings. LOL.

Trailer Stx GIF by The Upside - Find & Share on GIPHYThe Upside 3.5/5

Where to Watch: Showtime
Ok this had some really good parts and I loved the concept--also Kevin Hart really surprised me with his serious acting chops!! But I could not tell whether this movie wanted to be taken seriously or not?? Like it either felt like a serious film that was accidentally a comedy, or a comedy that was too serious to really be classified as a comedy. IDK, it was at a weird intersection that I didn't feel like they captured as well as other similar films like Me Before You.

Beyond the Shadows 3/5

Where to Watch: YouTube
Out Of Shadows Makes Some Interesting Points But Fails As A ...My brother made (sorry, recommended) me watch this documentary about celebrity cultism/coverups LOL. While there were a lot of parts that made me like "wow I need to look into that because that's wild and I can totally see how that is happening", there were a lot of parts that really tweaked me as a journalism major. Any good documentarian knows that you need to have as many interview subjects as possible, and they can't just be people you know?? Also the counterpoint should be addressed adequately. Plus there needs to be three different levels of input: pedestrian, expert, and uhhhh the third one I can't remember right now. (I promise, I did go to journalism school!) Anyway, I felt like this documentary relied heavily on pedestrian input, but under the guise of expertise because they were reporters and actors, etc. Anyhoo, I definitely see validity in the subject matter, but I think more work needs to go into the fact collecting and presentation of the topic. This review pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly.

11 Memorable Quotes from Crip Camp - AccessNowCrip Camp 5/5

Where to Watch: Netflix
WOW LOVED THIS SO MUCH AGH MADE ME CRY FROM START TO FINISH. This is a documentary about the civil rights fight for disabled people, which pretty much always gets totally overlooked when we talk about the civil rights era. I will say that this film also did something similar to the one above which is that it highlighted politicians that denied the civil rights petitions of disabled persons, but never highlighted the politicians that put the 504/ADA into law, which seemed odd to me. There were also no interviews with anyone in politics that was involved, which I think would have been an interesting perspective, especially if we had gotten to hear from some of the people who were in office when 504/ADA kept being denied. But aside from those small gripes, this film was sooooo powerful and empowering and made me so happy, then angry in the middle at the injustice, and then happy at the end again!

Bring It On GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYBring it On DNF
Where to Watch: Uhhhh idk I watched it on DVD
This is a truly bizarre piece of filmmedia. I'd always heard this was a classic, so I decided to give it a go, but I don't think this is my type of rodeo. Also these women have no respect for the sanctity of a straight hairline. I mean I know it was the 90s but wow, why was that ever a trend.



The Help (rewatch) 5/5
The Help - Julianne's literature blog

Where to Watch: Also own this on DVD
This movie will never not be amazing. And watching it again made me pick up on stuff I hadn't before, which is always my favorite part of rewatching movies.




grace van patten | Tumblr

Tramps (rewatch) 5/5

Where to Watch: Netflix
Again, stellar stellar film that in my opinion is excruciatingly underrated. Click here to read my original review.





Tiger Tail 3/5

tigertail netflix | TumblrWhere to Watch: Netflix
The trailer for this movie was sadly very misleading...the actually movie turned out to be largely depressing, and kind of badly acted. The ending I think tried to be redeeming, but I wasn't feeling it. The scenery was still really beautiful, and the beginning was really cute. I'm still glad I watched this, it just was not what I was expecting. Swag and I watched this together using Netflix Party which was cool.

Giant Mechanical Man 3.5/5

Where to Watch: Amazon Prime
the giant mechanical man | TumblrI'm kind of torn about how I feel about this one. There were some really charming moments throughout, and it was a relatable concept with likeable actors. But at the sametime it didn't have a really satisfying payoff in the end? Almost too relatable. Also, I will eternally have a fundamental issue with the whole trope where someone is in a costume, the other person sees them, then when they'renot in costume,the other person sees them and falls in love with them but doesn't recognize that they were in the costume???? Like come on, you're telling me she saw this man on stilts, looked into his face and wasn't like "you know he kinda looks like Tim! Same bone structure, same build, and Tim is artsy so he'd do something like this." Not to mention she saw him on TV and they SAID his name was Tim!!Puh leaze. Also I'm sorry but Jenna Fischer just doens't do much for me as an actor. She seems really nice but it just seems like she's typecast in this very specific and unflattering role. Like she's always playing these sad women with very meager job prospects who have a hard time speaking up for themselves. I would love to see her in a more redeeming role where she gets to be a bad@$$. Anyway, this was a pretty middle of the road movie. Chris Messina, who I love, was of course gorgeous. But even that wasn't enough to push it above a 3.5/5

Ok ok I wrote more than I anticipated for that last one--and I didn't even give it a good rating!! Actually I feel like I usually have much more to say about subpar and crappy movies than good ones. Anyway, that's all folks. Let's see if I scale back any on my media consumption in May...

VaughnDL

Comments

Popular Posts