Some Photos from Portugal

     Meant to post this a few weeks ago when it was still relevant... Hopped over to Portugal with a friend for a long weekend at the end of April. We stayed in Porto and took a day trip by train to Lisbon. Both cities were beautiful, the people were lovely, and everyone spoke English! We had an amazing 4-day weekend and I would definitely go back to Portugal in the future. We stayed in a really old hostel in the city center and our room was located on the fourth floor (no elevator) which reminded me of my apartment in Philly. There was a sink in the room (no bathroom, just two twin beds with mismatched sheets and antique furniture) which was weird, and the beds were a little sorry, but it felt like a classic European hostel experience that I'm glad we had. The place was quiet, safe, and clean, which is what matters the most. 
     Also, side note: if you're ever in Portugal...you gotta try the pastel de nata. It's like an egg custard pastry thing which sounds gross but it was so good! I had two in my four days there. Actually, we ate a TON of good food when we were there. The Portuguese actually use SPICES in their food! Imagine that! Although, they love cod a little too much... 
     The most tragic event of the entire trip was when our shared jar of peanut butter that was sustaining us was confiscated at the airport on the way back to Spain because apparently peanut butter is a "gel" and it was over 3oz. I almost wanted to point out to the security guard "But but...we already ate half the jar!" Instead I watched as he chucked it in the trash. It was the best peanut butter I've had since coming here too. Not Jif by any means, but decent. 

Botanical Gardens in Porto

The library that the swinging staircase in the
Hogwarts castle is based off of. 

This is SUCH a basic white girl photo, I am fully aware, but
just look how AESTHETICALLY PLEASING that is. It
also tasted amazing and made me want to start making smoothie
bowls as a hobby. They have everything I love in them:
smoothie, dried fruit, nuts, and more fruit....all laid out in a
beautiful fashion.

The azulejos (tiles) in Portugal are SO pretty.
I would make us stop so many times so I could
snap a quick picture of tiles I particularly liked.

Lisbon, view from Saint George's Castle (Castilo de Sao Jorge)
Walking through the picturesque streets
of Lisbon


This dog was posing so still and model-like I
had to take a photo.

Not pictured: giant dent in other side of car. 
so #artsy

Look closely: Yes, those are blue jeans hanging
out of the planters. They're huge on blue jean
planters in both Spain and Portugal. Or at least
Madrid and Lisbon. It's strange but makes me smile,
so I approve. Also, when I saw the windows of blue
jeans on the white house I immediately thought of
the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and their quest
in the last book to find the missing pants in Greece.

The first afternoon we were in Porto, it poured...
not nice for tourism, but great for moody pictures
like this.

Tiles
More tiles...


And there ya have it! Until next time...

-SE Wagner


Comments

Popular Posts