3 Days in Barcelona: What to Do, Where to Stay, & What to Eat

Where to Stay:

Hostal LIWI

Located around 3 miles from Barcelona's Gothic Quarter, it is by no means in a central location, but is very accessible by bus and metro. The metro is a two minute walk from the hostel, and it takes about 30 minutes to get to La Rambla or the Gothic Quarter. Additionally, Hostal LIWI is cheaper and safer since it's not in such a crowded, touristy area. The hostel was clean, quiet, and pretty. The staff were friendly and accommodating. Sheets and towels are provided, communal bathrooms were very clean and there was never anyone else in them when I was showering, washing my face, using the bathroom, etc. Around the area there are a lot of restaurants and a few convenience stores and a grocery store, so you have everything you need. The restaurants near the hostel were also a lot cheaper, more authentically local, and less crowded than restaurants in other parts of the city. Price is around 35 euro per night.

The best part of Hostal LIWI was hands-down the terrace/patio. It was huge,
empty most of the time, and nice and warm in the sunshine.

There's a kitchen and dining area in the hostel, as well as a common area with
couches, a TV, and a keyboard.


Patio


What to Do:

La Rambla

I don't actually have any pictures of La Rambla proper, but it's essentially just a wide stretch of street where people set up stalls and sell touristy nick knacks and there are shops and restaurants along either side. 
A street near-ish to La Rambla

Barrio Gótico (Gothic Quarter)

The Gothic Quarter is the oldest section of Barcelona--one could argue the heart of Barcelona--where the streets are pretty, old, and narrow, and there are lots and lots and LOTS of shops. And lots of people too! (So don't try to bike there...yes, I know this from experience). You could find pretty much anything you could ever want souvenir-wise there. We didn't go shopping but it was still fun to walk past the different stores.



Mercat de la Boqueria

I don't know what is is about them but I LOVE food markets, especially open-air ones. A lot of people get overwhelmed by them and I can understand why they would not be good places to take small children as it is very easy to lose full-grown adults in them, but I love weaving my way through people, admiring the sensory overload of colors, sights, and smells and picking out several different (inexpensive) things to try.






Parc de la Ciutadella

After Mercat de la Boqueria, take your market goods over to Parc de la Ciutadella for a picnic. The park is beautiful, big, and not too crowded. 









La Sagrada Familia

I've been to a lot of old churches in Europe, to the point where they cease to impress me. Instead of being struck by the awe and wonder of God in them, I am struck by the ugly displays of wealth and the hypocrisy of men. I do not think that God is impressed by giant cathedrals, beautiful frescoes, gold plating, or vaulted ceilings. I've felt the presence of God more strongly in my bedroom than I ever did in the Vatican. In general, I would say that I dislike most churches in Europe. However...La Sagrada Familia is an exception. It's stunning. The stained glass is mesmerizing, designed so that the side with the cool-colored stained glass gets lit by the sunrise in the morning and the side with the warm-colored glass is golden with the sunset. We came around mid-afternoon, so we got to see the sunset side lit up, which was awesome because I think I definitely prefer warm colors. It was so peaceful and calming inside. We walked around with our audioguides for a while, hearing about the history of the cathedral. It's still being built and is set to be complete in 2026, 100 years after Gaudí's death.

We had tickets to go up into one of the towers, so we paused our audio tours and did that. A tiny elevator takes a group of around 8 people (plus the Official Elevator Operator) up to the very top of the tower. We're let out and allowed to spend however much time we want at the lookout, taking pictures or just admiring the view. Looking down from the tower, I realized I might have a slight fear of heights...After the lookout, we made our way down several hundred steps, spiraling our way dizzingly (woah, right as I typed that the song I was listening to said "I felt dizzy at the sight"...) down the staircase. That was honestly scary because there was no handrail on the side and you could easily just step off the staircase into the abyss and tumble your way down several hundred flights of steps. The views from the portholes walking down the tower were amazing though, especially of the city sprawling out towards the sea.

After we finished the tower tour, we continued with our audioguides and I shut mine off for a little while and just sat in the sanctuary of the church. It was really nice. Then I lost the other three girls I was with for like 15 minutes and that wasn't fun but we found each other, checked out the gift shop, and headed back to the hostel for afternoon naps.



Me with my audio guide looking super touristy







Fuente Mágica de Montjuic


Fuente Mágica de Montjuic has light and music shows every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from 8-9pm (extended days during Christmas season and during the summer). It's definitely a Barcelona must-see. It reminded me of Disney World (even though I was too young to really remember Disney World much except in vague chunks, like a chocolate dessert that looked like an artist's palate, a boat ride at night when I was sleeping and spinning my Tinker Bell toy around, and catching frogs at night with my brother...). It was definitely one of those things, like fireworks, where a camera can't catch the magic of it, so after a few pictures I put my phone down and just enjoyed the experience. If you want to get front-row spots (and most definitely get wet from the fountain), you'll have to get there early. But if you're content with a bridge spot (still very good views), you can get there whenever.


After the show, view of the castle from the fountain.





Parc Guell


Most people picture Parc Guell, without even realizing that's what they're picturing, when the picture Barcelona. A lot of things that have become famously associated with a place often to turn out less great that you'd hope, simply because they're so dang overrun with tourists. I would say that Parc Guell, with the exception of the most iconic photo spots (the mosaics/city view (pictured below) and the dragon sculpture), is one of those major tourist hot spots that is still enjoyable, beautiful, and better than expected. The park is HUGE and there are timed entries, so it wasn't overly crowded. The flowers were blooming, the palm trees were beautiful, and there were all kinds of hidden gems I had no idea existed (because people mostly just take pictures of the balcony and the dragon). Well worth 10 euros.










What to Eat: 

Paella


Paella is a staple of Spain in general, but it was particularly good in Barcelona. I got a chicken paella (I know, I know, you should get seafood paella if you're gonna have paella, but I am not a seafood fan) and it was delish.

 

Gelato
It's nearly impossible to get gelato in the north of Spain during the "cold" months, so it was like heaven to go to Barcelona and see gelato EVERYWHERE. Is it too small and too expensive? Absolutely. Did I still buy it? Absolutely.



Something from Mercat de la Boqueria 

As aforementioned, this market was the bomb! Definitely recommend for a cheap breakfast, lunch, or snack destination. There's something for everyone there, from seafood, meat, cheese, bread, empanadas, fruit, juice, smoothies, chocolates, bakeries, spices, popsicles, gelato, eggs, dried fruit, veggies, crepes....
(beware the chocolate stalls: get maybe one or two pieces of chocolate,
but don't be fooled by their tiny size; they are expensive!
 I would stick to the fruit, juices, and places selling
empanadas or other traditional Spanish foods.)



Other Places I Recommend But Don't Have Pictures Of:

Bread & Coffee (if you do indeed decide to stay at Hostal LIWI, there's a cafe around the corner from it that has a 2 euro coffee and donut deal)

Deleit Sushi (another "if you're staying at Hostal LIWI" recommendation). Cheap "menu del día" and everything I got was delicious.


Tips & Tricks: 

  • Get a 3 day metro pass (includes metro from airport!)
  • Consider eating away from the big tourist destinations like La Rambla or the Gothic Quarter. You'll spend a fortune eating there just because of the location, and the food probably won't be as good as elsewhere.
  • Consider staying away from the city center. As aforementioned, it's quieter, cheaper, and safer.
  • PICK POCKETS ARE A REAL AND PRESENT DANGER IN BARCELONA. They are extremely good so the best thing you can do while touring the city, especially the most tourist-y parts like the beaches and ESPECIALLY when you are on public transportation or anywhere crowded---crowded public transportation is a double threat---is to just not bring valuable things with you. Your passport should stay locked in your hostel or hotel, only bring enough cash to get through the day, keep credit cards and IDs at home, and consider keeping your phone either on your literal body (tucked into your bra or, if you don't wear bras, in an inner pocket that is inaccessible to anyone but you) or buried at the very bottom of your zippered purse or backpack. . 
  • NEVER let your guard down. Take it from someone who had their phone pick pocketed on a crowded bus on the way to the beach (AKA a pick pocket's dream). I was wearing my backpack on in front of me, I could see myself in the bus's security monitor the entire time, and my phone was tucked into a side pocket of my backpack which may I remind you again I WAS WEARING IN FRONT OF ME. Don't think you're smarter than a pick pocket. You're not. Keep your valuables somewhere safe. (Also, in case you think I'm just an anomaly, I know three other people who were also pick pocketed in Barcelona. It can/will happen to you too if you're not smart and overly cautious. I was uber cautious the first two days and let my guard down at the wrong time and had to pay (literally) for that mistake. I wouldn't want anyone else to have to deal with that, so just play it safe and while you're in Barcelona, be skeptical and distrusting of humanity).
  • Like all places in Europe, you will be charged for ordering water at a restaurant. If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg staying hydrated while touring, bring a water bottle with you.
  • Book tickets in advanced! You do need tickets to get into places like La Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, and Casa Batllo (Gaudí's house). 
  • Do not rent bikes to ride near or in the Gothic Quarter. It is way too crowded for that and you will walk your bike more than you ride it, and will also piss off pedestrians. If you want to do a bike tour of the city, consider signing up for an actual tour. They are a million bike tour companies and it's just a safer, less stressful way to bike around an unfamiliar city. They even have free ones!
  • If you're staying in a hostel, don't forget shower shoes and check to see if your hostel provides towels and sheets! Believe it or not, some don't, which is how they can get away with such low prices.
  • If you're not into the club scene, stay away from La Rambla/Gothic Quarter at night. You will be bombarded by "club promoters", young dudes trying to get you to come to their club. They are so persistent that the only thing that can shake them is a dead-panned "I can't hear you" face, fast walking, and no eye contact. "No, gracias" is taken as encouragement, as is eye contact. Don't speak, don't look, keep walking, and you'll be fine. They're harmless, just annoying as heck.
I do recommend Barcelona as a destination if you're ever in Spain, but I also recommend that you have a heightened sense of caution while you're traveling in this lovely city, as it is not for the naive or dumb...Be smart, be aware, and you'll have an amazing time. 

-SE Wagner


Comments

Popular Posts