Questions From My Nana


I haven't posted in over a month. It's gotten to that point in the semester where I'm busy. It's becoming stressful and I can feel the anxiety on campus. Unfortunately, this means I don't post very often. We've all been struggling to come up with ideas for posts. I would come on the blog everyday there would be nothing new. I've finally come up with something though. The other day my grandmother called and asked me questions about college life etc. I thought I would take those questions and make sort of an update thing. 

1. What are your roommates like?


Katelyn is not necessarily my 'roommate'. I guess she's a flatmate? I'm not going to talk about my actual roommate and you can guess why. I live in a 'suite' so technically I live with seven other people. It comes with it's positives and negatives. Katelyn is really great though and I'm glad that we've been able to get along. She also doesn't live very far from my home which is wonderful. We've already had our fair share of making cookies, watching movies, going to Walmart etc. She's also nice enough to hang up the tapestries that I've bought. We've also fought about what tapestries to get and somehow I won both times.


2. Are you making friends?


I've made some really great friends. I do have pictures of all of them but that would take up a lot of space. These are the people that I met at orientation and I'm glad we've stayed friends. I'll try to introduce them to the blog...

Maya- She is the most lively out of all of us. She says things just to shock me and I wish I could share them...It's not appropriate though. I laugh the majority of the time. She's the one that really broke the ice. She started talking about personal situations in her life and we all felt safe to do the same. 

Natalie- Natalie is the most like me, she's reserved. She's very intelligent and sweet. If you have a question about anything, ask Natalie. I don't know how but she'll have the answer or find it in a short amount of time. She's also incredibly open-minded. She's the most spiritual out of all of us. I was feeling really sick one day and she offered to 'clear my Chakra' and I let her. She told me that in order for it to work I had to believe it would. (I didn't). I let her try it anyway and she told me some interesting things about myself.

Amira- Amira was the first person I met at orientation and then we later met Maya. I think she enjoys trying to annoy me. At the same time she is the most adventurous. She's lived in the city for most of her life so she likes to explore nature. She'll come to dinner and tell us all about a pond that she found. She also loves to ask questions and ponder life. She somehow got me to go the philosophy club which was interesting. 


3. Are you having fun?


The greatest experience would be going to a Harry Potter Convention. I don't think I have ever been that excited in my life. I was thrilled when Natalie told me that I would be able to buy a wand there. We got to the convention and I felt at home. The convention is not very far from where Natalie lives so we stayed there for the weekend. It's generally a more liberal part of Maryland and it was perfect. It was beyond adorable and clearly more open-minded than Hagerstown. We ate a lot of food, I got a Ravenclaw edition of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. We watched Quidditch, watching people play Quidditch is incredibly awkward. People were not meant to be snitches. If nothing it was entertaining. I took forever to get a wand and then acted like an idiot for the rest of the day. I met an incredibly sweet woman who sold pins. She was specifically selling Ravenclaw pins and she was also a Ravenclaw. I obviously had to buy her pin. The last thing we did was watch a man make free wands for children. There was a little boy who was beyond excited and told everybody who passed that wand was his. We were exhausted by the end of the day and watched four hours of the BBC version of Emma. Yes, it was completely worth it. That's the best version.

4. Who is your favorite professor?

I really love my professors this semester. The majority of my classes are Social Work so I'm able to get to know professors I'll have for the next two years. I think I love my Social Welfare professor the most. She reminds me a lot of Trelawney. She has a thick New York accent and is the sweetest person. She's very compassionate and understanding. Those are probably the best qualities a professor can have. I think she likes me because we talk about politics from time to time. She does an incredible Obama impersonation. I'm going to miss her a lot because I don't think I'll have her again. She's also the one that has guided me and answered all my emails with clueless questions. Bless her.

5. Are you still homesick?

Yes, of course. Is it as bad? No. I got to go home last week and I'm glad I did. The weeks before that were absolute torture. I was crying every night. I could barely talk to my mom because I would start crying or become even more homesick. I felt like I was annoying people by calling them. I'm getting better though. I'm not crying every night, Thanksgiving is coming up, my birthday, Christmas. My mental health has improved as well. I still struggle, obviously. I do feel like I'm where I'm supposed to be, I love my major, I have good friends etc. 

Nana, you can stop worrying. 

DFTBA
-AB

Comments

Popular Posts