October: Movie Madness!

     Welp, I think it's some kind of record you guys. I have watched 3 movies this month. THREE. That's a new low my friends. Just wow. Of course, I also watched the BBC North and South miniseries for the third time, and that's 4 hours long, so it's basically two movies butttttt I've already written about that a few times, and it's not TECHNICALLY a movie, so yeah. Only three! Craziness. Enjoy anyway! Maybe I'll watch more in November.

Easy Virtue
7.2/10
Netflix

 movie colin firth ben barnes jessica biel bin bons GIF tango colin firth ben barnes easy virtue jessica beil GIFThis movie earned itself .2 points just in the last ten minutes of the film. And I'm glad, too, because I wasn't really all that into the rest of this film. It just felt like everyone was wearing a sign that said "This Is A Movie! I Am Acting!" That's not to say that the acting was BAD, just that it felt like we as viewers weren't supposed to think that the events were actually realistic...I don't know if I described that very well, but that's how I felt. It really seemed like a movie I should like. Set back in a cool retro time, lots of beautiful costumes and architecture and scenery, a strong and sassy female lead, a very very cute love interest, (played by the same guy who played the lovely Prince Caspian soooo yeah). But it just didn't keep my interest. Until, like I mentioned the last ten minutes, when the main character girl leaves her love interest (sad because he's real cute, but necessary because he was kinda a flake) and runs off with his father (played, naturally, by Colin Firth). I surprisingly hadn't seen it coming, which made it a really interesting plot choice! But maybe if I'd been paying more attention for the rest of the movie, I might have caught on a little quicker...Whatever. Despite the ending being really well done, it did still feel like there were lots of plot lines that had never been resolved. Like what happened to her love interest? He LOVED her! And what about the crazy sister who showed her bare butt to everyone? Does she ever get with that one dude she loved even though he was a sleezeball? And what about the whole family now that their father just left them? So many questions.



Spider Man: Homecoming
8/10
Messiah College Lost Film

Spider-Man: Homecoming tom holland spiderman homecoming GIF
I mean WHO could resist that face!?
I'm one of those people who always says "Eh, I don't really like super hero movies", and then watches a super hero movie and is like "Well, okay, I liked THAT one, but usually they're boring". Thus was the case with this movie. I went into it expecting to be bored by predictable action sequences where of course the good guy prevails, and flat character portraits-- because who needs a personality when you get to save the WORLD!? But I was very pleasantly surprised! I think the biggest thing that makes this movie more accessible than some other super hero films is the fact that Spiderman is a teenager (although don't get me started on how confused I am that there's like multiple different Spidermen from multiple different "universes"? Huh?). Anyway, so Spiderman was a teen, and he was adorable, and had an actual personality, and said funny things, and did stupid things, and wasn't hardened by a long and arduous life of Saving The World. And yeah, there was a girl/damsel that he liked and had to save from danger, but she wasn't as 2 dimensional as I was expecting! And the plot twist was actually genuinely unexpected! I mean, I guessed it a little bit, but not entirely!
Spider-Man: Homecoming mask tom holland spider man spiderman homecoming GIF
His aunt is like NOT old enough to be his aunt though, let's be honest. (Yeah, that's her
in the background)
   Truly, I was still a little bored during the fight scenes and the action sequences, but I think that's something I'll never really be able to kick. I think my favorite part of the movie is when Spiderman (sorry, Peter Parker) and his best friend Ned are putting together that gigantic Death Star lego set. Like THAT was relatable and entertaining. LOL. Also, I was DEVASTATED when Peter missed the Academic Bowl Decathlon. That was SO SAD. I hate when stuff like that happens in movies! Like why couldn't you just let the poor guy get back in time to answer the last question and save the whole team or something? I don't know. It was just sad to me. I'm still not over it, clearly. OH and I really liked in the beginning how Peter's vlogging and making dumb videos on his phone! Adorable!
     Overall, if there was a sequel, I'd probably watch it! Not in theaters, but once it came to Messiah's Lost films or Netflix or something! So that's saying something.

Bridget Jones' Baby
8/10
Netflix

I don't know why I held off so long on watching this movie. AB and SE had been telling me to see it for a while, but I just never did. I wasn't a humongous fan of the first one, so I guess I just thought it wouldn't be all that great. Plus, I'm still a little mad at Renee Zelweigger for getting a nose job. Like why. She was perfect before! But, I finally put aside my reservations and watched this movie, and it was surprisingly good! First of all, I think it's a rare instance in which a middle aged woman gets to have a fun, flirty RomCom! Usually RomComs are just young, impossibly gorgeous people having trouble in paradise. But these were people with crows feet and wrinkles and grey hair and midlife crises having trouble in paradise! So that was different!
Bridget Jones funny cute comedy baby GIF
I MEAN LOOK AT P.D.'s FACE. BEAUTIFUL. 
     Now, I've never seen why women are so taken with Colin Firth. I mean, I think he's a really swell actor, sure. But attractive? Nuh-uh. Patrick Dempsey, on the other hand, is like a fine fine wine who was just as beautiful in this movie as he was back in Enchanted, or Grey's Anatomy, or Made of Honor, or any of the other various hunky roles he's inhabited. I mean, like will he EVER stop being so goodlooking???? Of course I can appreciate the history and chemistry that Bridget and Darcy (Firth's character) have, so even though Patrick Dempsey is a grade A silver fox, I'll let it slide that she doesn't choose him.
Bridget Jones love cute men pregnant GIF     I will also say that sometimes it takes a lot to impress me when it comes to comedy movies. I just don't find slapstick or vulgar humor all that funny, and that seems to be what a lot of films rely on for laughs. With that being said, this movie was GENUINELY funny! I could have done without some of the profanity--like I totally think they could have made this movie equally as entertaining at a PG-13 rating. BUT, that part where the two guys are trying to lug Bridget into the hospital when she's in labor? Hilarious. And the whole music festival bit when Bridget and her friend have NO idea who Ed Sheeran is because they're too old and out of touch? Classic. Plus, ever other little funny thing in between really made this movie enjoyable.

-VaughnDL




Comments

Popular Posts