Wish App: Scam or Nah?

I would like to take you along with me on my journey towards discovering whether or not the much-advertised Wish App is worth the hype, or is a complete rip off. So, shall we?

Step One: Watched Safiya Nygaard's Wish App trial and review video. Interest was piqued.
     Since I've been watching her videos for quite a while now, I trust Safiya to be honest about her experiences with products, so the fact that she had about a 75% satisfaction rate with Wish caught my attention-- especially considering the fact that she ordered all clothing, something I find incredibly risky to do online. You can watch her Wish video here.

Step Two: Downloaded the App.
     Actually, before I even downloaded the app, I went on the website on my laptop. Once I saw what that was like, and decided my computer hadn't been spammed or anything, I headed over to app store and downloaded it for free.

Step Three: Scrolled through the endless amounts of cool stuff.
     Okay, think for a moment about that one thing you've wanted for years but never really got around to buying, or that thing you've been asking for for Christmas, but nobody seems interested in actually getting it for you. Now search for that item on Wish. Did it come up? And if so, was it so much cheaper than it is at the store or on another website that you got suddenly very suspicious and very intrigued? Yep, that basically describes my entire relationship with Wish so far...Like it's gotta be too good to be true, right? How can they possibly sell 175 gigabyte flash-drives for $5?? Or adorable bathing suits for $10? A set of 72 colored pencils for $8??

Step Four: Ordered some stuff.
     After much mindless scrolling and searching for items I've always wanted but never felt like spending good money on, I finally decided to test this seemingly awesome app. I ordered four things to start off with, telling myself I would not exceed $30. I ordered the following items:

Holographic Backpack in Purple
$16 + $5 shipping
Set to arrive by August 31

Cassette Tape Aux Cord Converter
$1 + $1 shipping
Set to arrive by September 17

Sparkly Liquid Eyeliner in Silver
$1 + $1 shipping
Set to arrive by September 17

Polaroid Photo Album in Orange
$3 + $1 shipping
Set to arrive by September 17

My total came to $29.

I'm telling you, if these orders come on time, in good condition, and live up to my expectations-- I don't think I'll ever be able to shop anywhere else again. It would be the PERFECT place to shop for family Christmas gifts as a broke, busy college student who doesn't have time or money to be running all over creation during the Christmas season for peoples' gifts. I am seriously pumped to see how well this first set of orders go. I will keep you updated.

Step Five: The Stuff Arrived

Wish notified me that the Holographic Backpack in Purple arrived on August 19th! That is over ten days before it was set to arrive, so that's a pleasant surprise. Since I sent the packages directly to Messiah College rather than to my house, I won't be able to actually open them until I get there. I got several other emails, not from Wish, but from Messiah, notifying me that I'd received packages and they were waiting for me in my mailbox. When I got to Messiah, three out of four packages had arrived and I only had one more to wait on. Now, about two weeks later, my final order arrived!


Step 6: I Opened the Stuff! 






1. Here is the Polaroid photo album I ordered! I'm very pleased with it! It looks just like the picture, only cuter in person! The quality seems good and the color is so adorable. This item arrived over 20 days earlier than the expected arrival date, which is so exciting!


2. This is the Cassette Tape Aux Cord Converter. It also arrived over 20 days early, and appears to be in good shape. I haven't tested it out in my car yet, but I have no reason to believe it won't work.
Update: Okay, so now that I have actually tried it, I can definitively say that it doesn't work as well as I was HOPING. It works, but when there's a bass beat in the background, it like rattles my whole car, and not in a cool way. In a "I think my car is about to shatter into a million pieces" kind of way. And there's some blurry feedback too that makes the music sound kind of muffled and scratchy. Sometimes it's totally clear and fine, but not all the time. I guess that's what I get for $2. It'll hold me over until I get an actual, good working one some day.  



3. This is, as you can see, the purple holographic backpack, and can I just say, it is everything I could have wanted and more?? There are more storage pockets than I had anticipated, and the more storage pockets, the happier I am. Plus, the color and shine are so perfect, I absolutely adore it!! The quality of the bag is far higher than my expectations for a backpack ordered on a bulk sale app, and though it was the most expensive purchase I made, it is still much much less expensive than most backpacks you can buy in-stores. The only drawback and possible concern I have about this bag is that it's a bit smaller than I was hoping. It definitely won't hold my laptop, which is a little disappointing, but I'm hopeful that it will hold all my other textbooks and folders and notebooks and whatnot. I guess we'll find out tomorrow when classes start!

Update: Okay I've been using this backpack for about a week now and I really like it!! I've gotten a couple compliments on it, and Marina said "Dakota that backpack cracks me up. It's just so 'you'." So that makes me happy! The only two downers I've discovered besides the fact that my laptop doesn't fit is that A) it kinda smells like shrimp inside??? Not sure what that's about. And B), the inseam is very close to the zipper and has gotten caught when I've been closing the bag a couple of times. But usually it's smooth sailing, so overall I really really love this item and I think it's my favorite thing that I bought so far. 



4. This is the silver eyeliner I ordered! It was the last item to arrive, but even so it still arrived ten days before it was supposed to! I get the feeling that Wish gives really broad arrival dates so that you're not too impatient or disappointed when something takes a long time to be processed and shipped to you. I am pleased with this eyeliner! It goes on easily (even though I suck at putting it on) and it would work not only as an eyeliner, but also as a highlighter if you wanted! It's more white than silver, but I like it nonetheless. 


Step Six: Overall Impressions! 

I am incredibly pleasantly surprised with Wish!! I went in knowing that lots of people have had less-than-perfect experiences with the company, so I was understandably wary. But all of my items came promptly, and in good shape. No, they weren't all exactly perfect (aux cord doesn't work as well as I wish it did, backpack's a little small, eyeliner is a slightly different color than anticipated). But I honestly feel like those are things that could have been a gamble no matter where I purchased them online. That's just the risk you take when buying things on the web. I would give my experience with Wish so far a 90%, and I will certainly be coming back to the app in the future! Probably one of my biggest hesitations in ordering things is the fact that the range of when your items are set to arrive is so wide that it's very difficult to predict when things will show up, so I'm hesitant to order things for, say, people's birthdays, since those things are timely events. But when just ordering for myself, the only time constraint is my own impatience, and that's something I can deal with. 

So, here's my hearty endorsement! Just make sure if you decide to check it out and eventually order from Wish, be smart and sensible about how you buy. Read reviews, look at all the pictures, check out where the buyer is from, see if things ran too small or too large for other people. Basically, have a healthy dose of skepticism, as you should when buying items anywhere! And, after you've checked off all the necessary boxes, then go ahead and enjoy the buying experience. 

Happy "Wish"ing!

VaughnDL 




Comments

Popular Posts