Meeting the Neighbors

     Today I decided to take on the project of weeding the bed around the big oak tree in our backyard. I don't know why, but it was really bothering me, so I put on some old clothes and started ripping up weeds. While I was outside with Maggie (we got a fence today so now she can go outside without her leash on, but she needs to be supervised so she doesn't bark at every living thing), I met both neighbors, the ones to the left and right of our house. The ones to the left also have a dog named Maggie and the ones to the right baked us a lemon cake as a welcome gift! It's so weird though, being in my backyard and having social interactions with strangers. That did not happen when my backyard was ten acres...we essentially didn't have neighbors for my entire life, so this whole concept is rather new and exciting to me. I mean, we literally share a fence (we only had the back and front fenced in and are using the neighbors' current fencing for the sides).
     I decided that I needed to actually leave the house today, so I walked down the street to the Dunkin Donuts for lunch and on my way I stopped at a house a few doors down where a few middle school age girls were having a bake sale (I could hear them screaming "BAKE SALE! BAKE SALE!!" from my bedroom window, lol) and bought a chocolate cupcake and a mini lemon meringue pie. Then later that day when I was sitting on the porch outside, watching Maggie, the girl who was having the bake sale walked by the back of our yard with her dog and she waved and said hi and I came over and we introduced ourselves and our dogs. She was like "I didn't realize you lived here! When did you move in?" and I told her Tuesday and then she was like "This is a nice fence, I saw them putting it in this morning!" And she told me that she watches dogs if we ever need someone to watch Maggie. She was really nice. Her name was May and her dog was Tucker. It's just so weird though, knowing that people know all about what happens around your house. And then the neighbors had a party in their backyard this evening and I could hear the chatter and the sound of people playing cornhole from inside my house. It's strange, being so close to other people. I mean, you think I'd be used to it, after living in a dorm for a year, but I guess it's just different when it's my own house and I'm used to my own house being isolated and silent.
Murph's favorite spot is my bed.

The yard, with the new fence (and weeds).

Maggie "helped" me with the weeding.
After my hours of labor...pulling weeds is actually vaguely satisfying.
Day 1277 Song Recommendation: "Window" by Magic Giant.

-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts