March & April 2017 Wrap Up

I can’t believe that I have forgotten my wrap ups. March and April were some of the most busiest months I ever had. I had final projects, last minute things, studying and then the dreadful finals. Basically, there wasn’t much time to read.

1. Lady Midnight, Cassandra Clare 4/5



“Being told that love is forbidden does not kill love. It strengthens it.”

In a kingdom by the sea…
In a secret world where half-angel warriors are sworn to fight demons, parabatai is a sacred word.
A parabatai is your partner in battle. A parabatai is your best friend. Parabatai can be everything to each other—but they can never fall in love.
Emma Carstairs is a warrior, a Shadowhunter, and the best in her generation. She lives for battle. Shoulder to shoulder with her parabatai, Julian Blackthorn, she patrols the streets of Los Angeles, where vampires party on the Sunset Strip, and faeries—the most powerful of supernatural creatures—teeter on the edge of open war with Shadowhunters. When the bodies of humans and faeries turn up murdered in the same way Emma’s parents were when she was a child, an uneasy alliance is formed. This is Emma’s chance for revenge—and Julian’s chance to get back his brother Mark, who is being held prisoner by the faerie Courts. All Emma, Mark, and Julian have to do is solve the murders within two weeks…and before the murderer targets them.
Their search takes Emma from sea caves full of sorcery to a dark lottery where death is dispensed. And each clue she unravels uncovers more secrets. What has Julian been hiding from her all these years? Why does Shadowhunter Law forbid parabatai to fall in love? Who really killed her parents—and can she bear to know the truth?

I’ll be honest...I don’t remember much of what happened in this book. I remember stressing about school and I couldn’t give this book the attention that it needed. I say this so that my thoughts on it are taken with a grain of salt. I didn’t love this book as much as people said I would. I didn’t immediately fall in love with the characters like I did in the other books. I like Julian and Emma’s relationship and the forbidden love aspect but again I couldn’t pay attention.
What was with that ending though?
I probably will read the next book but I’m not dying to read it.

2. Milk and Honey, Rupi Kaur 5/5



“i want to apologize to all the women i have called beautiful
before i’ve called them intelligent or brave
i am sorry i made it sound as though
something as simple as what you’re born with
is all you have to be proud of
when you have broken mountains with your wit 
from now on i will say things like
you are resilient, or you are extraordinary
not because i don’t think you’re beautiful
but because i need you to know
you are more than that”

milk and honey is a collection of poetry and prose about survival. It is about the experience of violence, abuse, love, loss, and femininity. It is split into four chapters, and each chapter serves a different purpose, deals with a different pain, heals a different heartache. milk and honey takes readers through a journey of the most bitter moments in life and finds sweetness in them because there is sweetness everywhere if you are just willing to look.

Can I quote this whole book?
I love dramatic, thought-provoking poetry.
You could honestly read this book in half an hour and it would be worth every minute. I love how brutally honest Rupi is about her pain and survival. She definitely doesn’t sugar coat anything in this book.

3. The Handmaid’s Tale, Margaret Atwood 5/5



“Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.”

Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are valued only if their ovaries are viable. Offred can remember the years before, when she lived and made love with her husband, Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now

This book, oh my gosh
If you are a woman you need to read this book. I can’t even begin to say how eerily timing this book is. I was afraid that this book would read like a book you were forced to read in high school and hated. I wish that we had read this book in high school though. It’s well written and obviously deals with the topic of sexism in America. I loved how the book incorporated Offred’s life before and after the dictatorship. It really shows how tragic and different Offred’s life had been and how we take for granted things we love.
I also loved how they incorporated toxic christianity in this book. The fact that they took bible verses and twisted them into their own agenda. That could not be more fitting.
Overall this book made me want to fight harder for equal rights. We can not let America get to this point...ever.

I promise I'll be on time with the May Wrap Up

DFTBA
-AB

Comments

Popular Posts