National Poetry Month: Week Three

Image result for dorothy parker
Oh Dorothy, what a peach. 
     One thing I have discovered throughout this National Poetry Month blogging experience is that quite a few of the poems I love are very long. This is surprising to me because my love for poetry is tentative at best-- I far prefer to write it than to read it because poetry can very easily become incredibly dense and pretentious. But I think the reason why I actually do like some longer poems is because I don't necessarily need poems to be coherent or completely understandable. I know that when I write poetry, I don't always really know what I'm saying, it just feels right when I'm writing it, and it sounds pretty. So I am often drawn to poems that have passages or lines that, well, just sound pretty. On the other hand, there are a few short poems that I absolutely adore. This week's poem is a poem that I identify with greatly and never fails to make me laugh. It's so sarcastic. You can practically hear her rolling her eyes as she wrote it. I will be reciting this poem to my children, and who knows, maybe I'll get it engraved on my tombstone. It's a short little diddy by the fabulously witty and way-ahead-of-her-time Dorothy Parker, and it's called "Comment":

Comment
By Dorothy Parker

Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
A medley of extemporanea; 
And love is a thing that can never go wrong; 
And I am Marie of Roumania.

Since Parker's theme is kind of a jab at how overrated and lusted after the concepts of happiness and love are, I'm going to incriminate myself  (at least in Parker's eyes) by sharing one of the few love poems I've written. I do have to give you a disclaimer though: this poem is not about me. It's not about anyone I know. It's not about anything that's ever happened to me. Poetry is a funny business because sometimes poems are written from the perspective of the poet, but more often than not, they are written from the perspective of some random speaker that doesn't necessarily exist in reality at all. In other words, I am not the speaker of this poem. Please don't read this poem and then call me up and ask me why I didn't tell you about my new boyfriend, or ask me who the "inspiration" for this poem was. This poem is just as fictional, I promise, as my actual love life. Feel free to roll your eyes or gag at the sappiness of it. 

I know, I know
Colors
by Dakota Vaughn

Black guy in a white car
Took me to go gaze at the stars
(The same ones I see every night
Might I remind)
But tonight they look brighter
(At least in my mind)
Big hands on
Steering wheel
I wonder if he
Can tell how I feel
The blush that I’m wearing
Is not powdered on
It came when I watched him
Reach out, change the song
And I thought
For split second
He was reaching for me
And when he didn’t, I realized
I wanted him to be.
His necklace
(A gold cross)
Glows under street lamps
I want to reach out,
Take it into my hands
Another thing that glows (a bit)
Are his teeth, like neon white
When he grins in the darkness
His smile gives off light
I want to touch his arm
And see it next to mine
Coffee next to cream
Course hairs next to fine
He is beauty
(Or: the most I’ve seen)
When I mentioned this briefly
He asked what I mean
I thought for a while before I replied
Taking his braceleted wrist
“When I’m with you I feel like a butterfly:
I see colors that don’t exist.”

-VaughnDL 

Comments

Popular Posts