National Poetry Month: Week Four

     I would be remiss, during this National Poetry Month, if I disincluded the maestro, the connoissuer, the wizard: Shel Silverstein. Now, it is absolutely impossible for me to share just one poem from this genius, so I'll share two. The first one speaks directly to my spirit and soul, and if you know me at all, you'll know why when you read it. The second one is an absolute classic in my household, and always reminds me of my mom. So, for the last week of National Poetry month, please enjoy some lighthearted and humorous poems.

How Not to Have to Dry the Dishes
by Shel Silverstein 

If you have to dry the dishes
(Such an awful, boring chore)
If you have to dry the dishes
('Stead of going to the store)
If you have to dry the dishes
And you drop one on the floor
Maybe they won't let you

Dry the dishes anymore.

----

Boa Constrictor
by Shel Silverstein

Oh, I'm being eaten
By a boa constrictor,
A boa constrictor,
A boa constrictor,
I'm being eaten by a boa constrictor,
And I don't like it--one bit.
Well, what do you know?
It's nibblin' my toe.
Oh, gee,
It's up to my knee.
Oh my,
It's up to my thigh.
Oh, fiddle,
It's up to my middle.
Oh, heck,
It's up to my neck.
Oh, dread,
It's upmmmmmmmmmmffffffffff . . .


The poem I'd like to share with you from my own collection is one that I completely forgotten I had written until I found it amongst my writings from Creative Writing class last year. It's definitely on the lighter side, and when I read it again for the first time, it made me LOL a little bit, so here it is: 

Prince Charming
by Dakota Vaughn

Once upon a time
In this very fricken land,
There was a supposed Prince Charming
Who wanted to hold my hand
And me being willing and eager
To welcome the thought of true love
Allowed him to woo me and win me
And hoped that he’d rise above
But, my dear friends, let me tell you
This boy was the villian instead
He acted all princely but really
He was a jerk and he had a big head
So, because I don’t tolerate idiots,
I gave him a piece of my mind
And by “mind”, I really mean “sickle”
And he’s gone now, and everything’s fine.


-VaughnDL 

Comments

Popular Posts