The Anticipation of Spring Break

Image result for spring break
You know, me being naive, I went to google images and typed in "spring break". This cute
little icon was nowhere near the top...I've now seen way more beaches and bikinis and beers than
I was planning on. 
There's an odd sense of euphoria that comes from knowing that every day is bringing me one step closer to Spring Break. I have a countdown app downloaded on my phone, and as of now (6:52pm on Sunday, February 26th) there are exactly 11 days, 17 hours, 36 minutes and 40 seconds until my parents come and pick me up for Spring Break. That's less than two weeks. Soon that number will be in the single digits. There's only one more weekend in between me and Spring Break. These are the thoughts that keep me going.
     It's not like things aren't going well. Things are going swimmingly, in fact. I did way better on my Spanish exam than I'd been expecting. There have been some cool events going on like the Humanities Symposium and Coffee House the other weekend. My classes aren't too overwhelming. I started watching The Office and it's great, a wonderful incentive to finish my homework in the evenings.
     But people, home is still home. It's still a place I want to go back to. It's still a place I miss. Maybe the rest of you college folks are sticking your  noses in the air at me because college is now your home and your home and parents don't have any appeal for you anymore, but I don't really care. I still think my bedroom at home is the bomb. I still miss my cats (and, okay, even my dog). I still think my parents are pretty cool people.
     It's weird. I feel like I have two lives. When I'm at college, it's pretty easy to compartmentalize and not think about my other life too much. And when I'm at home, it's easy to pretend like it's the same as it's always been. But the closer we get to Spring Break, the more those two lives are intersecting in my mind and the more I long for the opposite one. I guess the grass is always greener right? Maybe when I'm at home and my cat pukes on my bed, I'll be wishing I was back at college. Or maybe when I'm at home and realize all my good pants are still in my dorm, I'll be longing to go back. It's just a strange balance. All I know for sure is that I'm not even mad tomorrow is a Monday. Because Monday means it's almost Tuesday, and Tuesday means it's almost Wednesday, which means it's the middle of the week, which means the weekend is coming soon, which means it'll be less than a week until I get to go home!
     And now, since I figured out how to utilize some new technology on the blog, here's a poll about whether or not you're excited for Spring Break! Feel free to fill it out, or don't. I'll accept the rejection like a man if you decide my poll is lame and you don't feel like taking it...


Are you excited for Spring Break??

Oh my goodness yes, it's all I think about.
Eh, not really, it's only for like a week anyway.
I'm a working adult. I don't get a spring break. In the real world, you don't get spring breaks. Enjoy it while you can, kiddos.
quizmaker

-VaughnDL 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts