January Movie Madness!

I apologize in advance for how long this post is. I've just seen a lot of good movies this month!

Hoovey
7/10

Image result for hooveyA teenager defies the odds after being diagnosed with a brain tumor in order to do the one thing he loves: play basketball. 

This movie was basically exactly like the movie 23 Blast except instead of blindness it's a brain tumor and instead of football it's basketball. SE recommended it and I would say I liked it pretty equally to 23 Blast as well. It had some recognizable faces (like Cody Linley, aka the guy who took all of our breaths away back in 2008 when he wooed Hannah Montana and became her boyfriend Jake. Oh, he was also in Hoot, where we ALSO fell in love with him despite some majorly bad hair decisions), some good songs in the soundtrack, and a feel good, uplifting message about never giving up in the face of adversity. I will say that the girlfriend in this one kind of annoyed me just because she had no personality, and just a very typical looking face. But that's not her fault.


Already Tomorrow in Hong Kong
10/10
Image result for already tomorrow in hong kong
Fun Fact: The actors were engaged during the filming of the movie!

An attraction forms when a Chinese American girl visiting Hong Kong for the first time meets an American expat who shows her the way, but timing may not quite be on their side. A walk and talk romance set in the beautiful city of Hong Kong, the film asks the question - what happens when you meet the right person at the wrong time?

I had seen the trailer for this movie a while back and thought it looked good, so naturally, I sent the trailer to SE. Then I kind of forgot about this movie for a while until SE texted me and told me I absolutely had to see it because it was really good. Since SE and I are basically movie soulmates (nobody else could even tolerate half the movies we absolutely adore) I took her word for it and watched it. Of course, she was absolutely right! Already Tomorrow in Hong Kong is everything I have ever wanted in a movie. This movie has a unique premise that is unlike anything I've ever seen before, and nothing draws me in like original plot. This movie definitely had those indie vibes, but not in the overly-existential-lots-of-lines-that-are-trying-to-be-quotable-and-lots-of-grungey-clothes-kind-of-way. Just in a very colorful, intriguing, realistic way. And the Hong Kong scenery was so cool. It kind of made me want to go there. This movie also somehow managed to take lots of cliche situations (romantic dance scene, cute meeting, girl convinces boy to follow his dreams, girl and boy take on the city and try on sunglasses at random vendor stations--seriously, this happens in like every movie I have ever seen) and make them feel very un-cliche. It takes great talent to make something that's been done a million times feel like it's happening for the first time. (It's why the show Lost is so great.) I also really really appreciated the fact that the ending was uncertain. Because sometimes the ending IS uncertain, and not necessarily happy or happily ever after. It was realistic! It was also realistic and HIGHLY APPRECIATED how the characters actually TALKED and GOT TO KNOW EACH OTHER instead of just falling in love based on attraction and talking about stupid superficial stuff. (Also points for a cute guy. Who speaks Chinese. And carries a messenger bag). I would most definitely recommend this movie, even if you don't particularly like romance. Because it was out of the ordinary and not sappy at all.


Naomi & Eli's No Kiss List
9/10

Image result for naomi and ely's no kiss list
Fun Fact: The actors were dating during the filming of this movie.
Incoming NYU freshmen and childhood neighbors Naomi and Ely have been in love with each other their whole lives, even though Ely isn't exactly into girls. The institution of a "No Kiss List" has prevented the two from rifts in the past, but their bond is tested when they both fall for the same guy. The once-inseparable pair must figure out if their friendship is strong enough to get past such an epic predicament as they struggle with the realities of growing up. 

(This summary does nothing to help the movie's credibility. I would not watch this movie based on this summary. I'm almost tempted to leave this summary out all together.) 

Image result for naomi and ely's no kiss list ending quote
From Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List
This sounds so pretentious, but I really didn't want to like this movie. Actually, I kind of started watching it just to make fun of it. That's how much of a snob I can be, I know. The thing is....I kind of ended up loving it. At the beginning, I was convinced that it was just a mash up of every YA novel I'd ever read and it was trying to deal with tons of issues at once. I also thought the characters were really superficial and annoying. I thought all these things because these are the things I was EXPECTING from the movie. But as the movie progressed, my negative expectations were completely exceeded. I really thought that in reviewing this movie, all I was going to be able to say about it was that it had really cute boys and a good soundtrack. And while those two statements are still wholeheartedly true, this movie was so much more than that. At it's heart, it's a movie about friendship, and about how good, true friendships are not always going to be easy. I'm not lying to you when I say that I actually cried. I don't want to give too much of this movie away, but I will say that it was emotional for me because I know what it's like to have really really really amazing friends, and I know how soul-crushingly painful it would be if I were to lose them, especially over something stupid. And I think this movie captured that heartbreak so so perfectly. As for thinking the characters were annoying, that wore off too. In fact I think you're SUPPOSED to think the characters are annoying at first. I think they're supposed to kind of be showing you that we're all kind of superficial and fickle inside but that we have to put that part of ourselves aside if we ever want to grow. And that's something I liked about this movie too: the characters actually grow! There's real live character development here people! There's also this really great theme throughout the movie about how you have to put other peoples' feelings and desires above your own in order to have an actually fulfilling relationship. And I think that's a really important thing to be telling people. Something else I really appreciated about this movie is the casting. I mean I know I haven't read the book so I don't really have anything to base this opinion on, but I think there's really no better girl to play a snobbish New York college girl than Victoria Justice. Also, Pierson Fode is perfect as Ely. He just really does a great job of playing that character. So much so that I have a feeling he's probably quite like Ely in real life... So, let me just say that if you start watching this movie and think you hate it and that it's irrelevant and that you can't relate to the whiny rich kids of New York City (who are college students but never seem to actually be going to college?) then I can assure you that it gets way way better. And if you've ever had a best friend, or multiple best friends, this movie is definitely for you. #TheFeelsAreReal


Kate & Leopold
7/10

Image result for kate & leopold
Yep, there's a horse riding scene. 
This movie was like Back to the Future meets Enchanted. And when you're dealing with dukes and time travel, there's bound to be a certain level of cheese factor. But I must say that despite having to suspend my disbelief pretty far, and overlooking the overly gooey romantic parts, this movie was pretty good! I always love that whole trope where someone from centuries ago comes to the modern era and is all confused and bewildered by modern technology and has to figure everything out for the first time. It never ceases to be funny. And, along with that trope, there's often the trope of the skeptic who is all like "Oh haha you're from the 18th century? Yeah sure you are uh huh real funny, but who are you REALLY?" This movie had both of those tropes (and spoiler, they fell in love). What I liked about this movie was that it wasn't trying to be too serious. I wasn't in the mood for some heart wrenching classic romance for the ages. I just wanted something fun and cute. And that's what I got. Also, I am always super impressed if a movie can take a guy who I don't find attractive at all, and develop his character enough throughout the movie to the point that by the end, I'm like "Okay, I was mistaken, he's actually really attractive, I'm kind of in love." And this movie did that. Because I have never understood the Hugh Jackman craze (in fact I can hardly ever even remember his name! I literally had to google him just now because all I could think of was Hugh Heffner LOL). He's just very average looking and a very average actor and just not memorable to me. But this movie definitely endeared me to him a bit more, and I can see why women might find him charming. Something I did find supremely annoying about this movie is Kate's hair!!!!!!! It's all choppy and piecy and completely in her face the entire time. From my short time in YROC and church plays, I know that would never be allowed. I always had to pin my bangs back when I was in stage productions thank you very much. And Meg Ryan should not be an exception to this rule!! Also it was just super annoying to watch. She kept shaking her head back and forth to get the hair out of her eyes and the haircut itself was really ugly. Ugh.

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison
8.5/10

Image result for heaven knows mr. allisonA marine and a nun form an unlikely friendship. The marine is shipwrecked on a Pacific island and the nun has been left behind there; they find comfort in one another as the two wait out the war.

For this movie, I actually wrote out the thoughts I was having as I was watching the movie in real time. So here are those thoughts, as transcribed from the Notes section of my iPhone:

I must admit I don't like old movies. I wish I did, I feel like it would make me seem like a more credible and evolved movie lover if I loved old movies, but I just don't. Especially not black and white. And I think black and white is so dreamy and romantic! But black and white movies are just so hard for me to watch. The only old movies I really like are all the super typical ones like Breakfast at Tiffany's, Some Like it Hot, and The Sound of Music. But I must say that I'm actually really, really enjoying this one!!


Well this is heartbreaking in the most wonderful way possible. They love each otherrrrr but they can't be togetherrrrr. He made her a comb! He gave her a flower! He risked his life to bring her food! He nurses her back to health when she's sick and gives her his shirt to keep her warm. She couldn't sleep because she was afraid he was dead. WAAAAAAAAHHHH why isn't love like that nowadays????

Slow pacing. I mean I get it, it was the fifties (1957 to be exact). I know they wouldn't be able to keep up with our mile-a-minute movies these days but still. It's a little hard keeping my attention for some of the parts. 

Why is this movie not more popular?? It's stinking good! It should be a classic or something! And it's a great date movie. Forbidden romance for the girls, war and suspense for the boys. 

"So a nun and a marine are stuck on a desert island" sounds like the beginning of a really lame joke. 

That's it? That's the end? My. Heart. Is. Broken. But I loved it! 



Not Another Happy Ending
9/10

When a struggling publisher discovers his only successful author is blocked he knows he has to unblock her or he's finished. With her newfound success, she's become too damn happy and she can't write when she's happy.The only trouble is, the worse he makes her feel, the more he realises he's in love with her.

Image result for not another happy ending

Well this was just a hipster dream!!! <3 <3 <3 Here are my thoughts on the movie in a bulleted list:





  • The main character was like a mixture of Zooey Deschanel and Anne of Green Gables
  • The main guy character looked like if James Marsden from Enchanted decided to stay in New York City and join the hipster movement. I'm also kind of getting a Westley from Princess Bride vibe.

Image result for james marsden enchanted
This guy PLUS...



...this guy PLUS...



...this random guy who popped up when I googled "hipster" EQUALS...

All of this glorious man candy <3 <3 <3 


  • I am so utterly in love with the setting and backdrops in this movie. HER APARTMENT. HER OUTFITS. SHE WENT THRIFT SHOPPING. SHE IS WHO I WANT TO BE IN LIFE. Also, her voice was oddly calming. I kind of like it when women have deeper voices. Maybe that's weird.
  • All the side characters were great as well! Tom's best friend was hilarious, as was Jane's stupid boyfriend who was played by the amazing Henry Ian Cusick! Whom I love!
  • Good soundtrack! I feel like the music in this movie is the music I would listen to if I lived in Scotland (still not sure why the main guy character is French, but I'm not complaining). 
  • A few minor dislikes: plot seemed a little slapped together at times? Like it felt like it was quickly put together to get to the good parts (which I totally understand on a creative level, but it still felt a little confusing). Also, I can't tell if the guy who plays Tom is a bad actor or if it's just his accent that makes his speech sound halted. Either way, his great looks and wardrobe made up for any not-so-great acting har har har. I mean come on, that BEARD.
  • You know, I should really just stop paying attention to movie reviews (I have already told myself this sentiment a million times but do I ever listen?) Because I always seem to really like the movies that didn't get the best ratings, and often dislike movies with really good ratings! What can I say, I like the quirky out-there indie films! Even if the general public does not.
  • Tom shouting in French as he throws grass at his car made me laugh more than it probably should have.
  • Woah. Okay. I mean, he is French, so naturally, there would be French kissing, but woah. Where's the rosy cheeked embarrassed emoji when you need it?
  • This movie is an absolute riot. It's like exactly attuned to my sense of humor. 
  • Awwwww that ending was perfect. Should have seen it coming based on the title. Just perfect.


Practical Magic 
7/10

Image result for practical magic house
I MEAN LOOK AT IT. It's perfect. 
The wry, comic romantic tale follows the Owens sisters, Sally and Gillian, as they struggle to use their hereditary gift for practical magic to overcome the obstacles in discovering true love.


I really liked parts of this movie, but other parts of it were just so/so. I'd say the best things about this movie were the soundtrack/score, the wardrobe, and the scenery. And even the premise was a unique one. But the execution and the screenwriting just felt scattered to me. Plus I had to suspend my disbelief a LOT and that's just something I'm really not good at. The thing that annoyed me the most was that for the first half of the movie, the main character Sally is like this quirky nerd girl who is resentful of the fact she's a witch and just wants to live a normal life selling homemade lotions and body scrubs, but then for the second half of the movie, she's suddenly this well dressed, super beautiful vixen who uses her magic way more than she ever had before and is super into this unattractive cop guy even though her really awesome, really cute husband just DIED! It was like two completely different characters! I thought maybe I missed something in the middle or something, but no. The writing just completely shifted. And I've always heard that this movie is about girl power, and in one sense, it is because it's the power of friendship and sisterhood that eventually breaks "the curse", but the biggest plot point in the whole film is that Sally's sister Gillian is promiscuous and is getting possessed by the ghost of her crappy, abusive boyfriend. That doesn't exactly scream girl power to me...but back to the things I did like: The soundtrack was full of folky-90s-indie-girl music which was awesome. Stevie Nicks would have been proud. A lot of the clothes were REALLY cute, like stuff I would totally wear, so I guess you could describe my style as a bit witchy. And the scenery was awesome. They live in this gorgeous old house with towers and spires and the interior design and greenhouse and gardens were to die for. Plus, it was right on the edge of a big lake, which was breathtaking, and the house was in a little town that reminded me of Stars Hollow from Gilmore Girls. So if I were to base my opinion of this movie purely on aesthetics, I'd give it a 10 out of 10. But the plot was just really lacking and oddly contradictory, at least in my opinion. 

Update: I JUST DISCOVERED THE MOST AMAZING THING!!!! One of the songs on the soundtrack for this movie was written by Stevie Nicks specifically for the film!!!!!!! I knew Stevie had something to do with this movie! It just seems like her style. If you're interested, the song is called "Crystal" and it's amazing. 

Chalet Girl
7.5/10

Former skateboard champion Kim wants to make more money after her mother's tragic death. She joins the elite posh servicing company, which sends her off to Austria.
Image result for chalet girl
This movie is exactly what you would get if you mixed together Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging and that snowboarding video game my brother and I used to play when we were kids (AKA the only video game I was ever halfway decent at. And honestly he was probably just letting me win). This movie was the perfect thing to watch on a cold January Saturday. It's light and pretty cheesy but still has likable characters and a good soundtrack (why is British pop music always so much better than American pop music?) Honestly, this is the exact type of movie I would have love love loved back in middle school and I can totally see me and AP watching it in AP's basement and laughing at all the stupid parts and making fun of the love interest guy's face (because he was not my type at all). I guess I would say I liked this movie in a nostalgic kind of way because it reminded me of my taste a few years ago. I'm surprised it's rated R though, because it's definitely targeted towards a younger audience...Anyway, it was a pretty good movie that would be perfect for the sleepover of some middle or high school girls. 


Jesus Camp
5/10
Image result for jesus camp
Jesus Camp follows several young children as they prepare to attend a summer camp where the kids will get their daily dose of evangelical Christianity. Becky Fischer works at the camp, which is named Kids on Fire. Through interviews with Fischer, the children, and others, Jesus Camp illustrates the unswerving belief of the faithful. A housewife and homeschooling mother tells her son that creationism has all the answers. Footage from inside the camp shows young children weeping and wailing as they promise to stop their sinning. Child after child is driven to tears. Juxtapose these scenes with clips from a more moderate Christian radio host (who is appalled by such tactics), and Jesus Camp seems to pose a clear question: are these children being brainwashed?

This is a difficult film to review for a few reasons. First of all, it's a documentary, so it's not necessarily meant to make you feel good inside. And typically the movies I give high ratings to are the movies that make me feel good. Secondly, it's a film about very radical conservatives made and produced by radical liberals, so it really doesn't do a good job of representing a majority. It's really a documentary about a niche group of people who seem, in my own opinion, incredibly misguided as Christians. The portrayal of Christianity in this film is almost cult like, and at one point there's even a scene where they basically pray to a cardboard cut out of George Bush. So clearly, the subject matter is incredibly extreme. That being said, I had to take the entire film with a grain of salt. It relied heavily on shock and awe, focusing on impressionable young children as the main focus. All in all, I don't know how to feel about this film. I wouldn't say I necessarily recommend it, but it was certainly interesting, and different than anything I'd ever watched before. 

War Room
7.5/10

A seemingly perfect family looks to fix their problems with the help of Miss Clara, an older, wiser woman who teaches them the power of prayer. 

Amen sister, amen. 
This movie is really good, but it's kind of one of those movies that's made by Christians for Christians. Which is fine, but I think if the goal of the movie was to inspire non-Christians to think about prayer or adopt a different worldview, it probably didn't reach that goal. That being said, it was funny and interesting and the characters all had really unique and realistic personalities, which sometimes is not the case with Christian movies just because of low budgeting or trying too hard to make it PG. The movie also does a good job of showing that God can do anything and use anyone even people who think that they're too far gone. We watched this movie in my Bible study group, which I think was the perfect audience, especially since last semester, our group focus was prayer, so the movie was quite fitting!



Image result for split movieSplit
8.5/10

Read my review here.  


Wishing you a happy, movie filled February!
-VaughnDL 

Comments

Popular Posts