November 2016 Wrap Up

I am currently wearing layers upon layers of clothing. Since my dad is hunting for the week we have no fire. I wish that I could say that my mom and I knew how to light a fire but we don't. It's about sixty degrees in the house and I want to cry.
Anyway this was not a bad reading month. I could have read more but I truly read books that I loved. I was also proud to read at least three books.

1. Small Great Things, Jodi Picoult 5/5 *Favorite*


“What if the puzzle of the world was a shape you didn't fit into? And the only way to survive was to mutilate yourself, carve away your corners, sand yourself down, modify yourself to fit? How come we haven't been able to change the puzzle instead?” 

Ruth Jefferson is a labor and delivery nurse at a Connecticut hospital with more than twenty years' experience. During her shift, Ruth begins a routine checkup on a newborn, only to be told a few minutes later that she's been reassigned to another patient. The parents are white supremacists and don't want Ruth, who is African American, to touch their child. The hospital complies with their request, but the next day, the baby goes into cardiac distress while Ruth is alone in the nursery. Does she obey orders or does she intervene? Ruth hesitates before performing CPR and, as a result, is charged with a serious crime. Kennedy McQuarrie, a white public defender, takes her case but gives unexpected advice: Kennedy insists that mentioning race in the courtroom is not a winning strategy. Conflicted by Kennedy's counsel, Ruth tries to keep life as normal as possible for her family—especially her teenage son—as the case becomes a media sensation. As the trial moves forward, Ruth and Kennedy must gain each other's trust, and come to see that what they've been taught their whole lives about others—and themselves—might be wrong.

I am convinced that Jodi Picoult will never disappoint when it comes to her books. They open my eyes every time. They usually deal with topics that I can't relate to. Topics that I don't want to relate to. This book opened my eyes to my white privilege. The things that make Jodi's books so amazing is the characters. I'm assuming that the white people who read this book related to the lawyer, Kennedy. I related to her because she was also blinded by her white privilege. The both of us wouldn't call ourselves racists. At the same time we aren't doing anything to end the stereotypes and prejudices. There was a point in the book where something slammed into my heart. Ruth and Kennedy had gone to the store to buy something and multiple store workers wouldn't leave Ruth alone. They checked to see if she was stealing multiple times. Yet they left Kennedy alone. Then I asked myself the question, "Have I ever done that? Have I judged someone based on how they looked? Did I think lesser of them because of the color of their skin?" Yes, yes I have. The worst part is that Ruth was used to it. That was her life. There were points where she was even defending white people. Most likely because she felt that she had to. So it would be easier for her in the long run. I never have to think about these things and that's privilege. I don't worry about someone judging me because of my skin color, I don't 'have' to deal with racism. Racism doesn't affect me personally. If I'm being honest I could ignore it for the rest of my life. That's sickening to think about though. I can't end racism on my own but I can do small great things and hopefully that leads to a ripple effect. 

2. Georgia Peaches and other Forbidden Fruits 4/5


Joanna Gordon has been out and proud for years, but when her popular radio evangelist father remarries and decides to move all three of them from Atlanta to the more conservative Rome, Georgia, he asks Jo to do the impossible: to lie low for the rest of her senior year. And Jo reluctantly agrees. Although it is (mostly) much easier for Jo to fit in as a straight girl, things get complicated when she meets Mary Carlson, the oh-so-tempting sister of her new friend at school. But Jo couldn’t possibly think of breaking her promise to her dad. Even if she’s starting to fall for the girl. Even if there’s a chance Mary Carlson might be interested in her, too. Right?

I've been looking for a book like this forever. There are not a lot of LGBT Rom-Com books. This book was so much fun to read. At the same time it tackled different issues like the LGBT community and the church. I loved that the main character was gay and at the same time was strong in her faith. We need more of that in litterature. The romance was so cute and the book wasn't depressing which unfortunately can happen a lot in LGBT books. There is so much more that I want to say about this book but it would give away to many spoilers. 

3. Promise of Fire, Amanda Bouchet 5/5


“Happiness is a strange, frightening, fragile feeling when you're not used to it.”

Catalia "Cat" Fisa is a powerful clairvoyant known as the Kingmaker. This smart-mouthed soothsayer has no interest in her powers and would much rather fly under the radar, far from the clutches of her homicidal mother. But when an ambitious warlord captures her, she may not have a choice… Griffin is intent on bringing peace to his newly conquered realm in the magic-deprived south. When he discovers Cat is the Kingmaker, he abducts her. But Cat will do everything in her power to avoid her dangerous destiny and battle her captor at every turn. Although up for the battle, Griffin would prefer for Cat to help his people willingly, and he's ready to do whatever it takes to coax her…even if that means falling in love with her. 

I never would have picked up this book on my own. Luckily Rachel Hollis has great taste. I will pretty much read anything that she recommends. This was the second book for the Rachel Hollis Book Club and it did not disappoint. This a great book to read if you just want to get away. It's an escape to a magical world with a wonderful romance. Who doesn't need that in their life sometimes?


Hopefully December will be a good reading month. I know the beginning will be terrible with finals coming up. After that I have about a month off which will be glorious and filled with reading. That break is much needed right now. 

DFTBA
-AB




Comments

Popular Posts