Hair Update!

Trying vs. Not Trying
     As you can tell from the picture, short hair is not always beautiful. There are good days, and there are bad days. More like there are good mornings and bad evenings. By the end of the day, my hair usually looks like the bottom right. It has lost any semblance of a "hair do" and is simply a hair disaster. I've come to embrace this and sometimes even laugh at myself in the mirror when I see how crazy my bed head is. I've come to love the headband. Oh, what wonders you do! My hair is also long enough to dutch braid in the front so I do that when I don't want it in my face. When I take it out of the braids though, it looks like this mess:
     I also spent a good chunk of time sitting in the library with a man bun, until Melissa forced me to take it out.
I think it looks #swag, but apparently not.

     Anyway, over the past three weeks, I've discovered that short hair does care. And yet at the same time it doesn't give a rat's butt. I guess it's because when I want to care, then yeah, short hair takes a little time and effort. But when I want to look ratchet (usually any time after 4 P.M.), I'll let my hair do whatever it pleases, and sometimes that's not all that visually appealing.
     I don't really remember what it was like to have long hair, to be honest, except that it was annoying. I forget sometimes that my hair is so short though. I haven't gotten to that stage where I look at girls with long hair and can't wait for my hair to grow out, but I feel like in a few months when it hits that awkward stage, I'm going to be lamenting how long hair takes to grow. Overall, I'm so happy that I decided to cut it off. No regrets. I also had a girl ask me where I got my hair cut and she said she was thinking about donating her hair too! Whoop whoop! A lot of girls have said that they would never be "brave enough" to cut off all their hair and I just tell them "Just do it!" Because I wasn't brave, I was just tired, in all honesty. Tired of long hair, tired of the same hair style, tired of seeing myself the same way. 
     I'm not going to pretend that short hair is all sunshine and moonbeams. There are times when I look in the mirror and see a pre-pubescent teenage boy and think "Ew." But I've found ways of compensating for that feeling by wearing jewelry and headbands and trying to be creative with my outfits. I think short hair has reminded me that there are other forms of self-expression outside of your physical body. You can have a style that is separate from your physicality. So if I'm feeling down, I can just pull on my kaleidoscope pants or put on my big owl earrings and all of a sudden I have a little confidence boost! Because who doesn't like psychedelic pants? But when I don't feel like "dressing up" and am walking around the dorm in my sweats and sweatshirt, I'm reminded that NO ONE CARES WHAT I LOOK LIKE. NO ONE. So yes, if I want to try hard and dress nicely then I should go for it, but I should do it for me. Because probably no one's really going to notice if I come to class in a dress or in my PJs. Okay, maybe they'd notice, but they wouldn't treat me any differently. Because I'd still be me and they'd still be them. And that is the moral of this story: just do you and let everyone else do everyone else. :)

Day 1078 Song Recommendation: "Walls" by Kings of Leon. -SE Wagner

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts