Bridget Jones & College Robots

Today is the first day of slacking. Normally right now I am doing homework or studying. I have about two hours of 'free time'. Using the term 'free' loosely. It's basically just homework time. When college started it was time to read and let my mind wander. I don't have that luxury anymore. The people in this small cafeteria is somewhat interesting. I see about the same people every time I come here. Of course there is the occasional annoying group of people. You know the ones that act like they're still in high school. It is also unbelievably cold in here. Anyway you would think that I would talk to some of these people. Nope. The thing that sucks about this college is that everyone keeps to themselves. Today some idiot moved all the tables. Now the lonely tables are now connecting tables. Luckily I found one of the small booths. People walk into the square room, look around and then leave. We had one rebel who moved a table away. I wish that I was as brave as her. I would have just left. I mean some of us glance at each other awkwardly and then look away. That's it for interactions. My plans to have made friends by now has been a failure. It's hard to talk to people that don't actually want to talk. One of the few people I have tried to talk to speaks so quietly I can't understand what he's saying. Of course he's the one that wants to talk about everything under the sun. College students are weird. It's like they're all desensitized robots with backpacks.


If you walk near them they walk away and if you look at them they look down. None of them seem to smile. I didn't realize how much it was bothering me until yesterday.
I was in the middle of trying to figure out how to type an APA paper. Thanks a lot high school for always doing MLA. You were a huge help. Then Jane texted me and asked if I wanted to go see Bridget Jone's Baby. I knew that it wasn't wise to go see a movie with so much work to do. I wanted to get away from the stupid laptop though. I needed to get out of my room. Most importantly though I needed to be with someone who didn't look like a zombie with backpack. Jane and I weren't all to excited about the movie. We didn't think the sequel was going to be as good as the original. It was hilarious though. There had to be about six other people there. Luckily they had a sense of humor. We were laughing about more than half of the movie. Jane and I were ridiculously loud. I would even go as far as to say yelling. Hopefully the other people were amused and not annoyed by us. We were cursing, yelling, hitting and holding each other. I cried and Jane didn't. No one is surprised by that. She also made fun of me. How can you not get emotional when listening to a baby's heartbeat? Or seeing a baby in general? C'mon I don't have a heart of stone.  We really got into the movie. Would I recommend the movie? Yes, absolutely. It was like the first one but possibly better. It was inappropriate at some points but that is to be expected. Especially if you've seen the first one. Bridget Jones is such a relatable character. She makes mistakes, she's not a supermodel and yet somehow she get's a happy ending. (Depending on who you wanted her to end up with).

We've all felt this way at one point.

When I got home a disappointing question came into my head.
"When was the last time that I laughed like that?"
I couldn't remember. I was laughing so hard that I gave myself a headache. Once again I was reminded how great it is to laugh. Also how important laughter is. Then I got a little sad. 
I wish that I could say that today I tried to make as many friends as possible but that's not true. In fact I've been sitting here for about an hour and a half and haven't spoken. I glanced awkwardly at two people. I guess that's something? I think about my brother. I think about how he probably had twenty friends by now. Knowing him that's probably a understatement. I am not my brother. That's obvious. My brother handled college way better than I did. He worked every job possible, got good grades and was loved by everyone. I made him sound like he was dead. He's fine and very much alive. I am almost the opposite of most of those. I have good grades and most of these people in this square know who I am. Well they know they know what I look like. Comparing yourself to other people sucks though and we shouldn't do it. I know this makes me sound like a loser but I know that I can't be the only 'adult' struggling to make friends. It's hard being around people who you've known your whole life and then be surrounded by robots.
Hopefully some of these people aren't robots.
DFTBA
-AB

Comments

Popular Posts