Randomness
SE is back!!!!!!!!!!!! And blowing us all away with her incredible wittiness and philosophically sentimental blog post that made me laugh out loud more than a few times. Don't you think that her family should have their own show??
Well, for the first time in a long time, I opened up a blank blog post with no specific reason in mind. I've talked about this a little with SE about how all three of us utilize this blog differently. I tend to only write when I have a topic actually in mind, which is why I can go for embarrassingly long amounts of time with writing nothing. It's just that I feel like nobody actually cares to read about my day to day happenings, although that's not necessarily true because I absolutely love reading about SE's day to day happenings. But of course I feel like my life isn't as interesting as hers is. I mean, I went on vacation for one week (actually only four days to be honest) to the same place I go to and talk about every year, and besides that all I've done is renovate my living room and kitchen. Which has been interesting for me, but I doubt if it would be interesting for you. Plus, another reason I don't just write about myself is because I have a journal that I write in (HAHA yeah sure I do, I haven't written in it in like two weeks ugh!) so then when I write what's happening on the blog, then I don't feel like writing it in my diary, and vise versa. And it's kind of a cycle that stressing me out even though it shouldn't.
SE tends to utilize the blog as like an online journal, which honestly makes a lot of sense, because then there's ready made content, since she's writing about her experiences, and she doesn't have to worry about writing it in a journal too, since she can just use this blog as a journal and go back through old posts to reread what happened, similarly to how I go back through my pile of old journals to read what happened to me in the past.
I feel like AB probably utilizes this space the most like a blog. She's fairly consistent, but not overly so. She talks about a mixture of what's happening in her life, and current important topics, as well as keeping us updated about books, since she's the book blogger. SE keeps us updated about songs too, but I MAJORLY SUCK at keeping up with movie reviews and recommendations, and for that I apologize. I don't know what it is. I guess I feel like nobody actually cares, and I also feel like when I read a movie review on someone else's blog, it annoys me if I fall in love with the movie and then I can't actually watch it because it's not available for free anywhere. But sometimes I review a movie that I just happened to see on TV, and it's not available anywhere else for anybody to watch anyway. Or I'll see a movie in theaters, but maybe by the time I post about it, it's in that limbo space between theater and DVD release. So then it's like pointless for me to review something you can't go out and watch right now. Those are probably all just super lame excuses for me being really terrible at keeping a schedule or routine, but they're the things I tell myself to make me feel better, LOL. I am excited for college though, because they have a theater where they show movies in limbo! They call them "lost" movies, and they're only $2 to watch, or $4 for someone who doesn't go to school there. I doubt if I'll ever go to the actual movies for all four years when I can just wait till they air it at school for way cheaper! I'm so pumped for that.
Anyway, enough of my mindless babbling.
I ordered my textbooks for college yesterday, and I was ecstatic to add my total up and find that it only cost me $411!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's amazing! And truly miraculous. I had estimated it to be about $700, and I was stressing out about it, but then I found some great deals from reputable sources, and it saved me so much money. I'm renting two of my books, so that saved me literally hundreds. I got a $500 scholarship from my local Ruritan, and I thought it was only going to cover some of my books and the rest I'd have to pay out of pocket, but instead it covered all of my books and still left me with almost $100 left over! Which I will put towards opening a bank account, which I'll need for my direct deposit checks when I start my job at college. Ugh, adult things. I don't know if I'm looking forward to having a job...I've never had a job before (yeah yeah, I'm a spoiled white kid, whatever) and pretty much all of my friends have told me horror stories about their places of employment. But in another sense, I have this totally fantastical image of myself working at the little Union Cafe (that's where my assignment is), looking all adorably collegey and nerdy in like plastic gloves and a hairnet or something, and it'll be like in The Prince and Me, and this cute guy will come up and I'll spray him with the soda hose for being a jerk, but then he'll get a job at the same diner and I'll have to teach him how to use the meat slicer, and then he'll ask me to a party but I'll decline, but then later I'll take him home for Thanksgiving with me, and he'll drive a little riding mower and my family will like him and we'll fall in love and then I'll find out he's actually a PRINCE and he's been lying to me the whole time so then I won't speak to him for a while, but then my friends encourage me to follow my heart so I go to England or wherever and find him amongst a parade and tell him I love him and then we'll live happily ever after!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I literally just summarized the entire plot to that movie, so there you go, there's my movie recommendation for today LOLLL). So yeah, clearly I've been deluded by movies and have no sense of reality and am making my expectations for my college job way too high. When what will REALLY happen is I'll probably look gross and be bitter because I can't wear jewelry or open toed shoes to work, and I'll feel like the whole thing is pointless since the money will be going direct deposit and I'll be using to pay my tuition and not actually see the fruits of my labor anyway. Yup. Eh, we'll see.
Something else that happened to me recently is that I went to dinner with KM and Noob at the house of an older couple from our church. Now, my family is not the type of family that invites people over for dinner. For one thing, we don't have a dining room at all, we have a kitchen table that seats four people comfortably, and six people uncomfortably. Our kitchen is tiny (hence the renovations) and for a long time it was super cluttered and crappy and awful (also hence the renovations). Sorry house and family, but that's just the truth and you know it. Not only do we not have people over for dinner ever, we also don't get invited to dinner anywhere besides my grandparents' house. Which is a mile away and which we go to several times a week anyway, so it's not like a super formal event or anything. All of this is preface to say that I don't know how I'm supposed to interact when I've been invited to dinner somewhere. Yeah, I eat dinner at my friends' houses somewhat often, but again, I'm close to those people so it's not as formal. But last night made me realize I need to get some stinking manners and also I need to learn how to small talk because I am colossally bad at it. MF is really good at small talk, a trait that I admire and envy sometimes, and one time I asked her why she was so good it, and she said "Well, I don't live close to any of my family, so small talk is all we do." And that made a lot of sense. It still doesn't help my plight, but it gave me a better understanding of MF's talent for it. Anyway, I like jumping into topics and sticking to them for a while, and discussing them for a long time. But in small talk, you just flit from topic to topic, never scraping more than just the surface, never really opening a full discussion. It's like picking up a book and just reading the table of contents. I have a really hard time with that, because what often happens is someone will ask me a question. I'll answer the question, then give space for someone to build onto my answer, but stay on the same topic. But with small talk dinner conversation, instead of building onto my answer, whoever talks next will change the subject by saying "that reminds me of bla bla bla". But I wasn't actually done talking about my thing, I was just trying to continue the conversation about it! Maybe that doesn't make sense, and that's definitely a character flaw in me that shows that I'm selfish and just want to talk about what I want to talk about, but I don't know. I think I've just never properly learned how to small talk. Anyway, I'm making it sound like I had an awful time, which is not true at all. I had a good time, the food was good, the topics we talked about were interesting (It was a good Table of Contents, so to speak). So it wasn't an unpleasant experience at all. It's just something I'm so not used to. I blame my parents. Just kidding, it's not their fault. Our house just doesn't have a dining room. We could probably make one if we so chose, but I don't see us starting to have a bunch of people over for dinner. So it's fine the way it is. And anyway, the kitchen is now on it's way to being totally adorable, through mostly my own effort, so I wouldn't trade it.
Okay, I've gone on long enough. I'm sure you're all very bored and would like to go off and do your own thing now, so be free. Enjoy your Friday. IT'S ONE OF THE LAST BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOREVER. Just in case you were starting to forget. :)
-VaughnDL
Well, for the first time in a long time, I opened up a blank blog post with no specific reason in mind. I've talked about this a little with SE about how all three of us utilize this blog differently. I tend to only write when I have a topic actually in mind, which is why I can go for embarrassingly long amounts of time with writing nothing. It's just that I feel like nobody actually cares to read about my day to day happenings, although that's not necessarily true because I absolutely love reading about SE's day to day happenings. But of course I feel like my life isn't as interesting as hers is. I mean, I went on vacation for one week (actually only four days to be honest) to the same place I go to and talk about every year, and besides that all I've done is renovate my living room and kitchen. Which has been interesting for me, but I doubt if it would be interesting for you. Plus, another reason I don't just write about myself is because I have a journal that I write in (HAHA yeah sure I do, I haven't written in it in like two weeks ugh!) so then when I write what's happening on the blog, then I don't feel like writing it in my diary, and vise versa. And it's kind of a cycle that stressing me out even though it shouldn't.
SE tends to utilize the blog as like an online journal, which honestly makes a lot of sense, because then there's ready made content, since she's writing about her experiences, and she doesn't have to worry about writing it in a journal too, since she can just use this blog as a journal and go back through old posts to reread what happened, similarly to how I go back through my pile of old journals to read what happened to me in the past.
I feel like AB probably utilizes this space the most like a blog. She's fairly consistent, but not overly so. She talks about a mixture of what's happening in her life, and current important topics, as well as keeping us updated about books, since she's the book blogger. SE keeps us updated about songs too, but I MAJORLY SUCK at keeping up with movie reviews and recommendations, and for that I apologize. I don't know what it is. I guess I feel like nobody actually cares, and I also feel like when I read a movie review on someone else's blog, it annoys me if I fall in love with the movie and then I can't actually watch it because it's not available for free anywhere. But sometimes I review a movie that I just happened to see on TV, and it's not available anywhere else for anybody to watch anyway. Or I'll see a movie in theaters, but maybe by the time I post about it, it's in that limbo space between theater and DVD release. So then it's like pointless for me to review something you can't go out and watch right now. Those are probably all just super lame excuses for me being really terrible at keeping a schedule or routine, but they're the things I tell myself to make me feel better, LOL. I am excited for college though, because they have a theater where they show movies in limbo! They call them "lost" movies, and they're only $2 to watch, or $4 for someone who doesn't go to school there. I doubt if I'll ever go to the actual movies for all four years when I can just wait till they air it at school for way cheaper! I'm so pumped for that.
Anyway, enough of my mindless babbling.
I ordered my textbooks for college yesterday, and I was ecstatic to add my total up and find that it only cost me $411!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's amazing! And truly miraculous. I had estimated it to be about $700, and I was stressing out about it, but then I found some great deals from reputable sources, and it saved me so much money. I'm renting two of my books, so that saved me literally hundreds. I got a $500 scholarship from my local Ruritan, and I thought it was only going to cover some of my books and the rest I'd have to pay out of pocket, but instead it covered all of my books and still left me with almost $100 left over! Which I will put towards opening a bank account, which I'll need for my direct deposit checks when I start my job at college. Ugh, adult things. I don't know if I'm looking forward to having a job...I've never had a job before (yeah yeah, I'm a spoiled white kid, whatever) and pretty much all of my friends have told me horror stories about their places of employment. But in another sense, I have this totally fantastical image of myself working at the little Union Cafe (that's where my assignment is), looking all adorably collegey and nerdy in like plastic gloves and a hairnet or something, and it'll be like in The Prince and Me, and this cute guy will come up and I'll spray him with the soda hose for being a jerk, but then he'll get a job at the same diner and I'll have to teach him how to use the meat slicer, and then he'll ask me to a party but I'll decline, but then later I'll take him home for Thanksgiving with me, and he'll drive a little riding mower and my family will like him and we'll fall in love and then I'll find out he's actually a PRINCE and he's been lying to me the whole time so then I won't speak to him for a while, but then my friends encourage me to follow my heart so I go to England or wherever and find him amongst a parade and tell him I love him and then we'll live happily ever after!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I literally just summarized the entire plot to that movie, so there you go, there's my movie recommendation for today LOLLL). So yeah, clearly I've been deluded by movies and have no sense of reality and am making my expectations for my college job way too high. When what will REALLY happen is I'll probably look gross and be bitter because I can't wear jewelry or open toed shoes to work, and I'll feel like the whole thing is pointless since the money will be going direct deposit and I'll be using to pay my tuition and not actually see the fruits of my labor anyway. Yup. Eh, we'll see.
Something else that happened to me recently is that I went to dinner with KM and Noob at the house of an older couple from our church. Now, my family is not the type of family that invites people over for dinner. For one thing, we don't have a dining room at all, we have a kitchen table that seats four people comfortably, and six people uncomfortably. Our kitchen is tiny (hence the renovations) and for a long time it was super cluttered and crappy and awful (also hence the renovations). Sorry house and family, but that's just the truth and you know it. Not only do we not have people over for dinner ever, we also don't get invited to dinner anywhere besides my grandparents' house. Which is a mile away and which we go to several times a week anyway, so it's not like a super formal event or anything. All of this is preface to say that I don't know how I'm supposed to interact when I've been invited to dinner somewhere. Yeah, I eat dinner at my friends' houses somewhat often, but again, I'm close to those people so it's not as formal. But last night made me realize I need to get some stinking manners and also I need to learn how to small talk because I am colossally bad at it. MF is really good at small talk, a trait that I admire and envy sometimes, and one time I asked her why she was so good it, and she said "Well, I don't live close to any of my family, so small talk is all we do." And that made a lot of sense. It still doesn't help my plight, but it gave me a better understanding of MF's talent for it. Anyway, I like jumping into topics and sticking to them for a while, and discussing them for a long time. But in small talk, you just flit from topic to topic, never scraping more than just the surface, never really opening a full discussion. It's like picking up a book and just reading the table of contents. I have a really hard time with that, because what often happens is someone will ask me a question. I'll answer the question, then give space for someone to build onto my answer, but stay on the same topic. But with small talk dinner conversation, instead of building onto my answer, whoever talks next will change the subject by saying "that reminds me of bla bla bla". But I wasn't actually done talking about my thing, I was just trying to continue the conversation about it! Maybe that doesn't make sense, and that's definitely a character flaw in me that shows that I'm selfish and just want to talk about what I want to talk about, but I don't know. I think I've just never properly learned how to small talk. Anyway, I'm making it sound like I had an awful time, which is not true at all. I had a good time, the food was good, the topics we talked about were interesting (It was a good Table of Contents, so to speak). So it wasn't an unpleasant experience at all. It's just something I'm so not used to. I blame my parents. Just kidding, it's not their fault. Our house just doesn't have a dining room. We could probably make one if we so chose, but I don't see us starting to have a bunch of people over for dinner. So it's fine the way it is. And anyway, the kitchen is now on it's way to being totally adorable, through mostly my own effort, so I wouldn't trade it.
Okay, I've gone on long enough. I'm sure you're all very bored and would like to go off and do your own thing now, so be free. Enjoy your Friday. IT'S ONE OF THE LAST BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOREVER. Just in case you were starting to forget. :)
-VaughnDL

Comments
Post a Comment