One Small Step...One Giant Leap

     Huge thanks to FZ for her "on-point" post (as the kids say) and to AB for her efforts in making it happen! I don't know why we haven't done that earlier. What I would love more than anything is if everyone mentioned on this blog started blogging and we had this like huge blog chain and could keep up with each other's happenings that way...(this is your cue to make that happen).

     Oh yeah, I meant to say something in my post! I loved FZ's post! It was gr8!!!!!! (I'm hacking into SE's post teehee) -DL

     This morning, as DL mentioned, we got together for breakfast at the Dixie and said goodbye to SR, who is headed off to Georgia Tech tomorrow to BECOME AN ASTRONAUT. Well, I mean, he's going to become an aerospace engineer but same thing. Flying planes for the air force can very easily turn into flying a rocket ship for NASA. (Except between now and then you'll have to figure out a cool nickname like Buzz).
     It's weird to think that all our lives we've been taking these baby steps in the direction of who we'll become and now we're taking this giant leap and before we know it, we'll be engineers and journalists and humanitarians and astronauts and teachers and CEOs and doctors...we won't be students for too much longer. And that's not such an awful thought.
     Today my mom and I went to Walmart to get some school supplies (pens, pencils, Post-Its, etc.) and it was absolute chaos since school started back today. While I was browsing the aisles I heard a kid mention my ninth grade history teacher's name and I just kind of laughed to myself. Then when we were checking out I saw a girl from my class a few lanes over and it just hit me how small this town is.
     After our Walmart excursion, we went to a Haiti reunion picnic, which was nice. Even though I didn't go to Haiti this year and didn't know all of the people there I still felt like I was part of the community. It's funny how going to a place thousands of miles away can make you closer to people who live just twenty minutes from you. Which gives me hope that college will do the same...
     I don't know why I have the optimism bug in me today, but I won't try to suppress it.
     Also, I promise that eventually my posts will no longer revolve around college. Just let me completely beat this topic into the ground for another week and then I'll try to move on.

Day 1000 Song Recommendation: "Don't You" by Simple Minds. We started singing this song as we were walking down the street after awkward-hugging SR goodbye. I know you could never forget us weirdos...but just in case. 
-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts