Living With A Pixie Cut
It's been about three months since I got a pixie cut. One of the questions that I constantly get asked by other people is this, "Are you growing your hair out now?" I know that this question shouldn't bother me. Whenever I have cut my hair shorter I always kind of let it grow out. When I say no some of them kind of give me a strange look. Or they say the infamous word of 'oh'. I feel like whenever women make a change about their body they're making a 'political statement.' My hair is not a political statement it's my hair. I don't think I would ever cut my hair to make a political statement.
I knew that this vacation was going to be interesting. It would be the first time some of my family would see my hair. Of course none of them would say they hated it. They're not that blunt. I could tell that some of them didn't like it. I guess I know now where I got the inability to hide what I'm really feeling. My cousin's wife though loved it and in fact she won't stop telling me about it. When she asked if other people liked it I told her the truth. My mom doesn't love my haircut. I guess now it's when the truth comes out about how people really feel about my hair. Since it's obvious that I'm not growing it out. Then that night I was sitting with my family on the back the porch just talking. I couldn't stop myself from looking at my cousin's haircut. It's hard for me to explain without making it sound terrible. So I won't give all the gory details. In short it's buzzed. That's when the panic started to settle in. Would I be able to pull it off? Would everyone hate it? Would they think that I'm making a political statement? I was having the same anxiety back in May when I decided to cut my hair in the first place. I would spend about two hours every night trying to find the 'right one'. Then I went into the hair place not even knowing what I was doing. When I showed my hairstylist my idea she started to change it. Panic set in immediately. I had no idea what she was talking about all I knew is that she was changing my hairstyle completely.
Then at a ungodly hour Swag sends me an article about a woman writing about pixie cuts. After I read it I felt completely empowered. I felt the same way that I did the first day that I got my haircut. There is just something so powerful about getting your hair cut that short. I can't really explain it well enough. It's something that you have to experience yourself. The haircut itself is empowering in and of itself. Days after I felt powerful and beautiful. Like I had finally found the haircut that I was meant to have.
One of the things that surprised me about the article is how much other women struggle with wanting to get a pixie cut. I wanted to share some of the myths and pros of getting a pixie cut. I'm sure you've already run through the cons of cutting most of your hair off.
Myths:
- You need a certain face shape: This is the biggest load of BS that I have ever heard. Most of the women we see have thin faces with a pixie cut. Don't let your face shape deter you from getting the hair cut you want.
- It's easy to maintain: There is kind of a 'get up and go' factor but most day my hair is crazy. For example,
![]() |
| How did this happen? I have no idea. |
- You will look masculine: No, just no. You look like amazing. You don't need to wear more make up and earrings just because you cut your hair short. Another load of crap.
- Most people will judge you: You might get that disapproving look from your crazy aunt. The people who I thought would hate it turned out to love it.
Pros:
- It's so easy to take care of: Showering takes about five minutes and combing my hair thirty seconds. If I need to dry it add another five minutes. Much better than taking an hour and half with long hair.
- It's different: I do feel different in a crowd but in a good way. Women do give me second glances because they're probably wondering if they could pull off the same hair. I know I did the same thing.
- You don't have hair everywhere! Who doesn't want that?.
Overall I don't think I'll ever regret cutting my hair. Who knows what will happen with my hair in the future. I guess we'll see what happens.
The article from Swag: Pulling Off A Pixie
DFTBA
-AB
Song Recommendation: She Used To Be Mine, Sara Bareilles



Comments
Post a Comment