Vacation Day 1: Harry Potter & Camo Swimming Trunks


My mom and I got here after a terrifying drive. Ever since I've started driving I've had car anxiety. I feel like it gets worse every time I get in the car. I gasp, I squirm and my foot kept 'hitting the break.' Mom kept telling me to calm down but when you're almost about to hit someone you can't just 'calm down'. Anyway somehow we made it here alive. 
I have one goal every vacation and that is read as many books as I can. That means packing a lot of books. More than I knew I could read.


I actually brought more. I hid them in my suitcase. I can't have my family think that I'm crazy.

I plopped down on the bed and read my book until I finished it. Ate dinner, realized I forgot my soap, shampoo and conditioner, ate dinner, started and new book and went to bed. This morning I had to go to Walmart to get shampoo and conditioner. To say that I looked disheveled is a compliment and a understatement. Luckily no one is at Walmart at nine in the morning. Whenever I go to a Walmart I always go to the book section. When I got there I saw the new Harry Potter book. I knew it was out. I saw pictures on Facebook of my cousin going to a release party. She's ten and she's officially cooler than me. 
\

My aunt had posted all these pictures at the release party they had. It looked beyond amazing. I told myself that I would buy after I finished rereading the last two books. As I drove to Walmart I knew that wasn't going to happen. I would fight someone for that book. I'm not kidding. There had to be at least fifty copies of the book there so that didn't have to happen. I got my shampoo and conditioner and went to the check out. Then a man comes up to me and asks,

"Is that the newest Harry Potter book?"

I'm not the most social person in the world but I will talk about books forever. I told him yes and he proceeded to tell me how much his daughter loved Harry Potter and how they read it. Then the Walmart employee joined in on the conversation. It was such a cool moment. It didn't matter that we knew nothing about each other but we could talk about Harry Potter. It made me so happy. Then when I got home we all went down to the lake and sat in the boat. This is when I read the most because there is literally nothing to do. I don't have anything important to do, all my worries go away and I can just read. It was all nice and dandy until it started to rain. I don't mean like a drizzle but pouring down rain.

"It'll pass," my cousin said.

The rain kept coming down harder and luckily we had a canopy to hide under. That meant squishing on a boat with my entire family. Then there was this huge shot of lightning near us. 

"It'll pass," my cousin said again.

There was no way for me to get off the boat so I just had to sit there and pretend like everything was fine. Hence the picture up top. I wish I would have been able to get all the people in frame. After the almost near death experience we went back on the water. My cousin was right though the bad weather did pass. I pulled out my book again and began reading with Melissa. (My cousin's wife). We are the two people who like to read and don't like the sun. My family is used to me not being to social so Melissa got a lot of crap for reading. If it wasn't her it would have been me. To be honest she handles it better and she's only been in this family for four months. I've been here for eighteen years. That's impressive.

The book I am currently reading is based off of Kate Middleton and Prince William. It's actually pretty good. At the same time it's one of those books that makes you think, "That does't happen in real life." Yes I know it happened to Kate Middleton but still. It made me think about the books that I read about the lake. They all lie. Here's the reality:

  • There are no cute guys.
  • They're are no wild parties involving teenagers with beer. Who ironically always get away with it.
  • Everyone keeps to themselves. 
  • There isn't much to do.
  • The WiFi is terrible. 
Okay I did meet a cute guy once but he turned out to be a jerk. Along with the rest of his siblings. They would always ride their expensive four-wheelers. I've never seen enough teenagers at the lake to throw a wild and crazy party. It probably does happen but I guarantee it's nothing like the books. Everyone does keep to themselves. Our neighbors are these rude morticians. We've met them and they're extremely rude and dull. Also the rich people only talk to the rich people. It's the weirdest thing. It's like everyone knows their place. It's rude as well. I know you're rich enough to own a lake house that could belong to a Disney Princess but please be nice. There really isn't much to do. You can go to Walmart, the diner, walk in the woods, see a movie and go to the lake. We're in the middle of the woods of course the WiFi is going terrible. As I'm thinking about this boat I see my uncle peeing out of the boat. Luckily his back was turned to me. This of course was in front of all the Disney princess houses. Dear Lord please tell me no one saw anything. This is probably why I was never invited to any of the parties or why the mortician family is so rude. This is my family and this is my life. All I could do was sit there and shake my head. When I got back up to the house I wondered what the rest of the week was going to be like. I couldn't stop thinking about Brady and how much I wish he was here. I love my brother beyond belief. He becomes even more alive if he was here with us. He was always there to hangout with me and make us all laugh. The house just feels so empty without him. I cried a little. Then my mom came to my room and asked if I wanted to go get ice cream with my cousins. We got ice cream and looked out at the lake. I was still in somewhat of a bad mood. I miss my brother and my friends. I haven't seen Swag since June and DL since the fourth of July. I miss everyone else as well. I just want us all to forget that we all have plans and are moving soon. I want it to be where we can all be together like we used to. When we didn't have to think, "We're leaving soon." Then I looked out at the lake again and I was amazed.


The scenery alone was such a God moment. As I stood there trying not to cry again all I could think about was the song 'Oceans'. Even though I'm not at the ocean. The lyrics though were so perfect. 

"And I will call upon Your name

And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine"

Wow just wow. What a way to end the day. I forget sometimes how good God is. How he is always there through the trials that we face. Whether they be big or small. He understands, That being said I'm going to grab my bible, my notebook and watch my Church's sermon.
That seems like a perfect ending to this very random blog post.
DFTBA
-AB

Comments

Popular Posts