Movies For Your Moods

Now that it's summer time, I've been lucky enough to have more time to do one of my favorite things, which is watching movies! I always feel bad because SE recommends a song ever single day and AB is consistent with her monthly book reviews, but I'm kind of a slacker when it comes to the movie part of this blog. And while I apologize for that, I am also coming to the realization that it's more about routines than it is about movies themselves. I'm just really bad at keeping routines. I watch movies and TV a lot, so there should never be a shortage of things for me to talk about on here when it comes to that right? But somehow, just because of my personality, I have a hard time being consistent with things. I've always been bad at establishing routines and I probably always will be for the rest of my life. So I'm sorry that I don't routinely write about movies, but on the plus side, I'm writing about them right now! So you're welcome.

When you're in the mood for something lighthearted and goofy: 

The Duff


Summary:"A high school senior instigates a social pecking order revolution after finding out that she has been labeled the DUFF - Designated Ugly Fat Friend - by her prettier, more popular counterparts." [x]

Reveiw: 
I haven't read the book (sorry AB), but this movie was pretty funny. It was a little too teenagery at parts, which made me realized that my movie taste may actually be evolving! But I will say that I appreciated the plethora of modern slang and references in this movie that made it feel super current and relatable, but will inevitably be the things that make this movie feel very outdated in a few years. I really like Mae Whitman as an actress in general because she is kind of the DUFF of the acting world. She has a realistic body type and realistic facial features and she actually seems like a normal person. Plus she's a great actress. She did a really good job in this movie, and so did all of her costars. So if you're up for watching something funny and light that will remind you of everything you loved and hated about high school, I would certainly recommend The Duff.

Watch It: I saw it on TV, but unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere online for free (except sketchy illegal places). You can however get a free trial for ShowTime via Amazon.com and watch it there. [x]


When you're in the mood for something romantic that will make you cry: 


Me Before You

Summary: "A girl in a small town forms an unlikely bond with a recently-paralyzed man she's taking care of." [x]


Reveiw: 
Now this I have read the book first, and am very happy to announce that the movie matches up splendidly with everything I remember about the book, give or take a few details that didn't matter much to the progression or understanding of the story. Everyone involved in the making of this movie must have had the utmost respect for JoJo Moyes vision of the story, because it turned out beautifully and just the way I pictured it in my head when I was reading. The casting was spot on, the acting was great, the clothing choices for Clark were fantastic (I want to steal every single outfit right off of the screen), and the story was told respectfully and romantically. It was any chick flick lovers dream come true. I didn't cry at this movie, but I'm sure if I watched it again I would, and I did cry when I read the book. It's definitely touching if a bit predictable, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Watch It: In Theaters Now


When you're in the mood for something psychological and thought provoking:


The Stanford Prison Experiment

Summary: "Twenty-four male students out of seventy-five were selected to take on randomly assigned roles of prisoners and guards in a mock prison situated in the basement of the Stanford psychology building." [x]

Review:
I absolutely loved this movie and couldn't stop thinking about it or talking about it. I'd wanted to see it for a while, and finally it was on one of the movie channels on my TV so I got to watch it. First of all, I must say that I was blown away by the acting. The entire cast was made up of up-and-comers which is something I always appreciate because I love seeing fresh talent and I love seeing actors I recognize from smaller roles get to be in the spotlight more. I recognized nine of the young actors from other movies and TV shows I've seen, which was so exciting! It was so great to see actors that I'd previously only seen in lighthearted, less serious roles being cast in this really serious film. They did SUCH a great job too, the acting was impeccable and so realistic. Ezra Miller, specifically, blew me away, I'm a huge fan of him. Something else I loved about this movie is the fact that it's based on real events, which fascinates me greatly and prompted me to do quite a bit more research on the topic after watching the film. I've always been intrigued by psychological experiments and their effects on people, so this movie was the perfect film for me. I might go so far as to say that this is the best movie I've seen in a very long time.

Watch It: Once again, I saw it on TV, but unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere online for free. You can however get a free trial for ShowTime via Amazon.com and watch it there. [x]

When you're in the mood for something about different cultures with a cute romantic twist:


Loving Leah

Summary: An unobservant Jewish bachelor feels obligated to marry Leah in a levirate marriage-- a custom in which the living son marries the widow of his deceased brother in order to carry on the family line and recognize the legacy of the deceased brother. [x]

Review:
The Stanford Prison Experiment may be the best movie overall that I've seen in a while, but Loving Leah is definitely the best Hallmark Movie I've seen in a while, maybe the best Hallmark movie ever. Hallmark is not exactly known for being realistic or for having movies that tackle real issues such as culture and religion. Which is why I was so surprised and excited when I found this movie on YouTube. I ended up liking this movie so much that I watched the whole thing twice within the span of less than 24 hours. I just really appreciated the way it wove the Jewish culture into a cute and modern romantic story. I've never seen Hallmark be so respectful and delicate with their depiction of different religions before. I learned so much about the Jewish faith and their customs through this movie. I also appreciated it so much because unlike most movies these days, it was completely wholesome, yet still felt real, and the romance was propelled through the characters actually getting to know each other, rather than through physical means. This movie was definitely a breath of fresh air and I can guarantee I will be watching it many more times and hopefully buying it for myself sometime.

Watch It: (Here) on YouTube


When you're in the mood for a fun documentary: 


Meet the Patels

Summary: "An Indian-American man who is about to turn 30 gets help from his parents and extended family to start looking for a wife in the traditional Indian way." [x]

Review:
SE recommended this movie to me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It made me realize that everyone's family is crazy, regardless of background or race or whatever. And that really, truly, your parents just want what's best for you, but sometimes they just can't know what exactly that is, just like you yourself don't know what's best for you. It was also a reminder that life is both predictable and totally random. Because in the end, SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER Ravi ended up with exactly who he was supposed to be with from the beginning, but he might not have if it weren't for all the crazy twists and turns along the way.

Watch It: On Netflix

When you're in the mood for a touching and slightly sad documentary:


Autism in Love

Summary: "Autism in Love follows the story of four adults with autism spectrum disorders as they search for and manage romantic relationships." [x]

Review: Of all the movies on this list, this is the one that made me cry. SE recommended it to me (she has gr8 taste in everything, not just music). Autism and special needs of all kinds have always been close to my heart because of my uncle, who is severely handicapped, and something I find myself thinking about a lot is the fact that so many people with special needs just want to have normal lives, and they can't understand why they're not "allowed" to have what everyone else has. It's something that weighs on my heart because it makes me so sad to see people with disabilities being denied the happiness of simple things like romantic relationships, owning a home, having kids and a family of their own. This movie addressed those things in such a way that you really felt all the frustration and heartbreak of the individuals,a s well as their triumphs in having relationships and "normal" lives. In short, this movie gave me "all the feels" and was a great piece of insight into an issue that I think a lot about.

Watch It: On Netflix

-VaughnDL



Comments

Popular Posts