Last Lecture

     I've moved on..."Let It Go" by James Bay is no longer my favorite song..."Love Vigilantes" by Iron & Wine has taken its place.



     After school, MF, FZ, Cassandra and I went to Goodwill and then to Chipotle to pick up lunch for tomorrow and as we were leaving the song "Love Vigilantes" came on and I couldn't think of the name of it, but the music video for it that I'd put on the blog came to mind and I remembered that it was an Iron & Wine song.
     Anyway, this song kind of made me think of the "Last Lecture" our English teacher gave us today about how we're going to feel lonely and homesick next year but we have to stay where we are and stick it out and not come home in order to feel better because even if we do come home, home isn't the same place anymore. Our friends won't be there and we'll realize that we're just wishing for our idea of home, not our real homes. Her lecture made me a little sad-mad because I didn't want to hear that I would be miserable for a little while next year. I want to be fine. I want to do everything for myself and just be fine fine fine. But sometimes you just don't have a choice, and going into college thinking that everything is going to be sunshine and daisies is a sure-fire way to get a hefty, ugly dose of reality. So I guess I'll be spending the next three months lowering my expectations in order to not have my soul crushed when nothing goes my way.
     Anyway, it was a fun day and it was nice to be able to just do things on the spur-of-the-moment (like getting frozen yogurt before dinner) because we have no responsibilities anymore. I would say that I want another week just like this one, but I think the limited-ness of it all makes it more special. We can't put things off anymore. We have to do them now because everything is starting to change. And that's okay because we've made the most of the time we've been given and I have no regrets.

My super mature fro-yo.

FZ struggles to eat her gummy shark.
MF dines on guac and chips.
Cassandra with her prized frogurt.


Day 915 Song Recommendation: "Eighteen" by We Were Evergreen.

-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts