April & May 2016 Wrap Up

I am finally uploading the April Wrap Up. April and May have been hard reading months. Life just got stressful and when I get stressed I don't like to read. I wish I was one of those people that could read a bunch of books when i'm stressed. That's not me though. I wish that I could get lost in the book but I find myself thinking about all the things to stress about. That being said I only three books and April and one book this month. I was in some kind of funk. I wasn't doing anything of the things that I loved such as reading, writing and blogging. Now that summer is here I can finally feel myself breathe. Last night I slept so good. I could feel that I got a good sleep. At the same time I am still not feeling the greatest but that good night's rest lifted my spirit.

April:

1. The Beginning of Everything, Robyn Schneider 4/5


Golden boy Ezra Faulkner believes everyone has a tragedy waiting for them—a single encounter after which everything that really matters will happen. His particular tragedy waited until he was primed to lose it all: in one spectacular night, a reckless driver shatters Ezra’s knee, his athletic career, and his social life. No longer a front-runner for Homecoming King, Ezra finds himself at the table of misfits, where he encounters new girl Cassidy Thorpe. Cassidy is unlike anyone Ezra’s ever met, achingly effortless, fiercely intelligent, and determined to bring Ezra along on her endless adventures. But as Ezra dives into his new studies, new friendships, and new love, he learns that some people, like books, are easy to misread. And now he must consider: if one’s singular tragedy has already hit and everything after it has mattered quite a bit, what happens when more misfortune strikes?

After reading Extraordinary Means I knew that I was going to have high expectations for this book. I could definitely tell by reading it that it was a Robyn Schneider book by the writing style but at the same time there was something missing which is why I gave it a four out of five. At the same time the characters were realistic high school seniors. They weren’t gorgeous gods, they were normal everyday teenagers. They made countless mistakes and none of them were ‘perfect’. Making a teenager believe that there is a character like them in a book is one of the best things an author can do. That ending though. I didn’t know whether to be satisfied or displeased with it. I knew somewhat of what the ending was. I hate that at the same time there was an element of surprise. This book reminded me a lot of Paper Towns. Definitely can make a movie out of it.

2. Dorothy Must Die, Danielle Paige (Dorothy Must Die #1)


But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado - taking you with it - you have no choice but to go along, you know?
Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little bluebirds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still a yellow brick road - but even that's crumbling.
What happened? Dorothy. They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe. My name is Amy Gumm - and I'm the other girl from Kansas.

Swag I have found a main character names Amy that isn’t annoying. Of course if you’ve read the book you would probably still think that she is annoying.
I did not expect to love this book as much as I did. I guess I kind of have a thing for retellings. This book was so good. I loved that Amy was not the typical hero. She doubted herself as being the ‘hero’ and wondered whether she was going to be able to save everyone. It was a good twist on the story. It was a little dark and creepy but a good story. I would definitely read this around Halloween. (Can you tell that I am already ready for fall?)

3.  The Wicked Will Rise Danielle Paige 3/5 (Dorothy Must Die #2)



I can’t really say much about this story because it is obviously about the second book. I didn’t love this book as much as I did the first one. I don't know what it is I just don't like second books. Mostly ever second book I don't like. Hopefully the third book will be better.

May:

1. Ruined, Amy Tintera (Ruined Series # 1) 5/5


A revenge that will consume her. A love that will ruin her.
Emelina Flores has nothing. Her home in Ruina has been ravaged by war. She lacks the powers of her fellow Ruined. Worst of all, she witnessed her parents’ brutal murders and watched helplessly as her sister, Olivia, was kidnapped. But because Em has nothing, she has nothing to lose. Driven by a blind desire for revenge, Em sets off on a dangerous journey to the enemy kingdom of Lera. Somewhere within Lera’s borders, Em hopes to find Olivia. But in order to find her, Em must infiltrate the royal family. In a brilliant, elaborate plan of deception and murder, Em marries Prince Casimir, next in line to take Lera’s throne. If anyone in Lera discovers Em is not Casimir’s true betrothed, Em will be executed on the spot. But it’s the only way to salvage Em’s kingdom and what is left of her family. Em is determined to succeed, but the closer she gets to the prince, the more she questions her mission. Em’s rage-filled heart begins to soften. But with her life—and her family—on the line, love could be Em’s deadliest mistake.

As you know I have been in a reading slump all month. I was so done. I was about to throw in the towel and just not read a book this month. Then I heard Margo from Epic Reads recommending this book to anyone in a reading slump. So I ordered it on Amazon and though that I would give it a try. This book was epic. Probably the best book that I read this year. It kept me hooked from page one. I didn't get bored or become uninterested once. It didn't matter how bust I was during the day I would stay up late reading. I couldn't put it down. This is one of those books that I would start talking about and then start fangirling and I haven't done that in a while. Probably since Outlander. The characters were incredible, the plot was interesting throughout the entire story, the action never stopped. Also that ending was crazy. I honestly don't know how I am going to be able to wait for another year for the next book. I need to know what happens now. Also props for Amy for including an LGBT character. You're the real MVP.

Here are two videos that describe how I felt after reading this book...




I hope and pray that the month of June will be a good reading month now that there is not that much to do. I can't believe that I am finally able to say that. Oh my goodness that is so nice. 

DFTBA
-AB


Comments

Popular Posts