March 2016 Wrap Up

It seems like March was forever ago. I know this is super late but to be honest I've been busy. I know that's the excuse that I use for a lot of things but it's true. Luckily I read five books last month which is pretty good considering the huge reading slump that I am currently experiencing. I have not read one book this month and it's awful.

1. Riding Lessons, Sara Gruen 3.5/5

As a world-class equestrian and Olympic contender, Annemarie Zimmer lived for the thrill of flight atop a strong, graceful animal. Then, at eighteen, a tragic accident destroyed her riding career and Harry, the beautiful horse she cherished. Now, twenty years later, Annemarie is coming home to her dying father's New Hampshire horse farm. Jobless and abandoned, she is bringing her troubled teenage daughter to this place of pain and memory, where ghosts of an unresolved youth still haunt the fields and stables—and where hope lives in the eyes of the handsome, gentle veterinarian Annemarie loved as a girl . . . and in the seductive allure of a trainer with a magic touch. But everything will change yet again with one glimpse of a white striped gelding startlingly similar to the one Annemarie lost in another lifetime. And an obsession is born that could shatter her fragile world.

I’ve had this book for way too long. I loved Sara’s book called ‘Water For Elephants’ (The movie doesn’t do it justice). So it didn’t make sense as to why I didn’t pick this book up sooner. I love horses, words cannot describe how much I miss it. Reading this book brought back so many memories of riding and taking care of horses. I also loved how the book addressed the bond between a horse and a person. I wish that I could describe it but I can’t. This book also got low ratings and I think that’s because a lot of people on Goodreads are dramatic but while I was reading this book I kind of understood. Annemarie as the main character was a little bit annoying but to be fair her life sucks. Her daughter was also beyond infuriating. I never wanted to punch a book character more in my life. Okay that’s a lie but I really did want to hit her. Other than that I did like the other characters and it was a good story. Also there’s a second book so hopefully Annemarie gets better in the second  one.

2. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Benjamin Alrie Saenz 2/5

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

I really wished that I had enjoyed this book. People have been raving about it for so long and I think that raised my expectations. I saw it at the library and I thought why not? The writing style just wasn’t my cup of tea and the characters seemed boring. I knew that they were complex but about halfway through the book I felt like I knew what was going to happen so nothing was that big of a surprise. At the same time I understand why people love this book so much and if you like The Perks of Being a Wallflower this book is probably for you.

3. Dare Me, Megan Abbott 3/5

Addy Hanlon has always been Beth Cassidy's best friend and trusted lieutenant. Beth calls the shots and Addy carries them out, a long-established order of things that has brought them to the pinnacle of their high-school careers. Now they're seniors who rule the intensely competitive cheer squad, feared and followed by the other girls -- until the young new coach arrives. Cool and commanding, an emissary from the adult world just beyond their reach, Coach Colette French draws Addy and the other cheerleaders into her life. Only Beth, unsettled by the new regime, remains outside Coach's golden circle, waging a subtle but vicious campaign to regain her position as "top girl" -- both with the team and with Addy herself. Then a suicide focuses a police investigation on Coach and her squad. After the first wave of shock and grief, Addy tries to uncover the truth behind the death -- and learns that the boundary between loyalty and love can be dangerous terrain. The raw passions of girlhood are brought to life in this taut, unflinching exploration of friendship, ambition, and power.

I honestly don’t know why I pick up psychological thrillers. I never really enjoy them. I finished this book in one day and that was because I wanted to know if there was a ridiculously twisted ending. You have to read to find out if there is. The writing of psychological thrillers is slow and non descriptive because it’s all leading up to the climax but by the time I get to the climax normally it’s not worth the hype. Again if psychological thrillers are your thing I would recommend this book. It is an adult book but it reads like a YA book. Especially when the POV is from a teenage girl. This book reminds me why I want a son rather than a daughter and also why I never wanted to be a cheerleader. It also makes me wonder what I would do in psychological thriller. I should do a parody about that.

4. Carry On, Rainbow Rowell 4/5

Simon Snow just wants to relax and savor his last year at the Watford School of Magicks, but no one will let him. His girlfriend broke up with him, his best friend is a pest, and his mentor keeps trying to hide him away in the mountains where maybe he’ll be safe. Simon can’t even enjoy the fact that his roommate and longtime nemesis is missing, because he can’t stop worrying about the evil git. Plus there are ghosts. And vampires. And actual evil things trying to shut Simon down. When you’re the most powerful magician the world has ever known, you never get to relax and savor anything. Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell story — but far, far more monsters.

I think Rainbow Rowell could write a book about dirt and I would buy it and love it. I was really hesitant to pick up this book because of the fact that Rainbow Rowell is such a great contemporary author I didn’t know if she was going to be able to write a fantasy book. This book is proof that this woman can write anything. This book was beyond intriguing and I didn’t want to put it down. You know it’s a good book when you want to go back and read specific parts. The characters were beyond amazing and realistic even though this was a fantasy story. You felt like you could be them. Also I can’t stop thinking about them. There should be a sequel even though there isn’t really a need for a sequel. Rainbow Rowell why do you do this to me?

5. Annie on my Mind, Nancy Garden 4/5

This groundbreaking book is the story of two teenage girls whose friendship blossoms into love and who, despite pressures from family and school that threaten their relationship, promise to be true to each other and their feelings. This book is so truthful and honest, it has been banned from many school libraries and even publicly burned in Kansas City.

This is one of those books that is considered a classic to the LGBT community. It came out in the 80s and was probably considered a taboo book because it does have lesbians in it. A part of me has huge respect for this book because that must have taken guts for someone to publish this. At the same time the writing was really dry and there wasn’t much depth to the characters. I felt like the only information I knew about the characters was what school they went to and that they were gay. That obviously made the story much less enjoyable the plot is what saved the story and what kept me reading. 

DFTBA
-AB

Comments

Popular Posts