Water

David Foster Wallace // KENYON COMMENCEMENT by LuminousParticular==ABOUT THE END QUOTE PROJECT /  A confession: I read the last line of a new book before I dream of cracking the front cover. I see the last lines of a good book as pure poetry, +that's what's sparked this End Quote project. I have created poem(esque) wall art featuring my favorite closing lines. // Select a Size // black and white // geekery:      It's so hard for me to post something before the wee hours of the night but I will try my darndest.
     Today was supremely relaxing. I slept ridiculously late and when I walked out onto the porch in my PJs at 12:30 it was warm enough that I could stand there barefooted and wasn't the least bit cold. IT'S ALMOST JANUARY!!!! WHY WAS IT 73 DEGREES OUTSIDE?!?! Normally when we come down to the bay in the winter I just hole up inside the whole time because it's too cold and windy but today I took a blanket out to the dock and read for an hour and then I came back inside for a little while and then went back out for a bike ride down the bridge and back. It was sunset and supremely beautiful. Whenever I'm alone, outside, at the bay, I get these surreal kind of moments where I'm just like "I could die right here right now and I would be happy." Obviously, I have no desire to die at the age of seventeen. I guess I just feel very content here. I think everyone has that place where they feel at home that's not actually home. I just like it so much here because it's like time kind of stopped. Like the 21st century hasn't quite hit here yet. People are so much nicer here. And people actually go outside here. I passed another bike rider and a guy walking on the causeway and another bike rider on my way back. And people aren't in a hurry. They drive slower and talk slower and live slower. And they're happier. People aren't rich here but they're doing things that make them happy. They're fishing and crabbing and going out on their boats. They wake up early in the morning and get to watch the sun rise on the water as they head off to work. I think the water is part of it. I love water. It looks so innocent out there sweeping in and swishing out. We need it to survive and yet it has the power to destroy our homes, to destroy us. That's terrifying. But it's not like it wants to wreak havoc. It wants us to swim in it and sail on it and it wants to let all the little fish and oysters and crabs live in it. Before there were cars and boats and trains and airplanes, water connected us. It's been there since the very beginning and it'll be there until the very end. And it's hard not to be happy when it's all around you. When it's there making everything seem so insignificant against its enormity and its power and its beauty. 
     Sorry, I'm getting super gushy and nostalgic. I'll blame it on the weather. I was mad about how warm it was last week but this...I wouldn't mind another day like this. 

Day 764 Song Recommendation: "Conrad" by Ben Howard. This song is perfect. 

-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts