Happy Thanksgiving!

     The Thanksgiving Miracle skit that DL posted was perfect. I'm not a huge SNL fan but that was spot on. I don't know why Thanksgiving has such a bad reputation for making families fight but it's so true. Like AB, Thanksgiving is not one of my favorite holidays. I don't like turkey or gravy or collard greens or homemade cranberry sauce. I just want some canned cranberries, some stuffing, some mashed potatoes, and Grandma's French bread. And pumpkin pie. That's it. And honestly, I would give that all up for some take-out Chinese. Except with the canned cranberries and Grandma's bread. It seems like on Thanksgiving, everyone knows they're supposed to be thankful but no one likes being told what to do so instead they just fight. In my family, this doesn't happen with politics or family drama or Uncle Sam getting plastered... it happens with board games. Sigh. I'm one of the least competitive people I know and couldn't care less who wins. I just want to have fun. But certain members of my family are waaaayyyyyyyy too competitive for their own good and ruin it for everyone else. But I'd pick my dysfunctional family every day of the week because I love them to pieces.
     I think that everyone has these fundamental, unanswerable questions that they are always asking and for me that question has always been why am I so lucky? It's not like I'm some kind of saint. It's not like I deserve this life any more than the next person. There are starving, thirsty, cold, broken, scared people out there so much kinder than me but they're not half as lucky. They don't get Thanksgiving dinner with their family. They don't get a warm bed at night. They don't get to feel safe. I'm not trying to be morbid, although I'm doing a good job. It's just something I've always wanted an answer to. I just want to know why I was given everything I've been given and how exactly I'm supposed to pay it back. I have a wonderful family, amazing friends, a great school, a house, clothes, hot showers, food, a healthy body and mind, an education and a future awaiting me like I was just handed it on a silver platter. It's not like I made some kind of huge sacrifice as a 12-year-old or something, like I died to save my best friend. I haven't done anything grand, but I've been given a grand life. I guess that's the point of Thanksgiving. To take a step back and count our blessings, whether they are few or many.
     Here's a trailer for Wish I Was Here, which I would like to see. It looks funny and who doesn't like movies that make their dysfunctional family look a lot less dysfunctional?

 
Day 733 Song Recommendation: "To Be Alone With You" by Sufjan Stevens.
 -SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts