Woman in Gold

     If you haven't seen it, you should watch the movie Woman in Gold. I thought it sounded potentially boring because I thought it was going to be about art and my appreciation for historic art pieces only goes so far, but it really wasn't about art so much as about Austria during the Holocaust and Nazi invasion and about a woman forced to find a home in America and leave Austria and her family behind. It's about the connection she had to her aunt Adele, who is the woman portrayed in the painting Woman in Gold (originally Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I), and her desire to acquire the painting after her sister's death because it is rightfully her family's property, not Austria's. It also follows the story line of her attorney and his struggle to find a way to win the case and his growing personal investment in getting the painting back for Maria. It was a good movie. As many books I've read and movies I've watched about the Holocaust, I am still fascinated by it. Maybe fascinated is not quite the right word. It was a horrible time, after all. I guess it's just such a terrible thing to comprehend that often it feels as though they really are merely stories- that these things couldn't have happened just 70 years ago. But they did.


Day 664 Song Recommendation: "Oceans" by Coasts.
-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts