We Aren't So Bad

     I was only three years old when the planes crashed into the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, and a field in Pennsylvania. I can hardly say that I remember it. All I can remember is the remembering. Every September 11th since 2001 has been a day of solemn remembrance of a tragedy most Americans either experienced or have at least heard about frequently. It's one of the few pieces of American history even first graders are well-versed in. Today was the first time 9/11 felt less like the remembering of a tragedy and more of an appreciation of and pride for our country and its ability to overcome obstacles and move on from heartbreak. More than half of our student body was decked out in American-themed apparel during school and the entire student section at today's first home football game was a sea of red, white, and blue. Even though my generation cannot remember 9/11, we can appreciate those who help protect our country and keep us safe every day. 
     It's wonderful to also see that, despite the flak my generation gets for being self-absorbed, they donated $160 to go directly to helping Syrian refugees by getting henna at the meet the teacher tailgate and football game. I also leaned how to do henna and did a couple people's tattoos and they didn't look terrible! It's super stressful though because I just assume they hate it and apologize after making the design. You're not supposed to do that. 
     I guess what I'm trying to say is that America is a cool place and my generation isn't as bad as everyone says it is. 

Day 657 Song Recommendation: "I Am" by AWOLNATION. 
-SE Wagner 

Comments

Popular Posts