The End and the Beginning

My friend KK's grandmother died this morning. She was diagnosed just weeks ago with lymphoma, and it was incredibly fast acting. Just yesterday the whole family gathered together to fulfill her "wish", which was to have one last Christmas dinner. Hospice decked the house out in Christmas decorations and a local bakery made and donated dozens of Christmas cookies. Then this morning, she left the world behind for something better. The interesting thing is that KK's brother and his wife (the friends that I went to the wedding for earlier this summer) are expecting their baby any day now. It's quite possible he could be born tonight, on the same date as his late great grandma. It's crazy how new life can be brought into the world in the same instance as old life is passed out of the world. It's bittersweet because this little new born will never get to meet his great grandma, even if he's born today. 
     I'm not sure how I feel about all this yet. I'm sure it's incredibly sad and emotional for KK, but so far I haven't cried about it myself. I'm sure that I'll shed some tears at the viewing and funeral, because those kinds of things always get to me, even if it's someone I don't know! It's just that people always say such wonderful things, and it's very touching and emotional. 
     Anyway, I'm sure it's been a rough day for some of my very closest friends, so I wish them well and send them my prayers. 

-VaughnDL

Comments

Popular Posts