The 1950s

     My mom and I watched three episodes of Call the Midwife today, a show based on the books by Jennifer Worth about her time as a midwife in the East End of London during the 1950s. One of the things I love most about the show is the fashion and the decor. Everything used to be so much classier. People- men and women, even little children!- used put real effort into dressing well and looking good and now here I am, sixty years later, in sweats and a t-shirt. Heck, their nightgowns were fancier than my everyday clothes. At the same time though, I'm glad that it's socially acceptable for a woman to wear pants-even shorts!- because they are supremely comfortable and some days I just don't have the desire or patience to dress as beautifully as people once did. Sigh. If I could go back in time... but then I'd have to live through World War II and Vietnam and all of that and I don't know if fashion would be worth it. I would love to live in a time before computers (says she as she types on a computer). I would actually have hobbies. I would be so much smarter! I would know how to use a map! I would have time to dress well! Now I really wish I had a time machine. And unlike the first grader who said he'd go back to the 80s because they had good music back then (not so sure about that), I'd go back to the 50s... A time of fantastic floral patterns, short hair, classy cars, record players, typewriters, gentlemen, and great music.


Day 658 Song Recommendation: "Why Do Fools Fall in Love" by Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers.

-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts