Remembering

 Today just feels perfect. I finally got to put on a sweatshirt and socks on! It's finally getting colder and it's raining. Basically all morning I've been laying in bed wrapped in my covers with a candle burning and listening to the rain fall. All of my responsibilities can wait until tomorrow because this feels amazing. It really is the simple things in life that make all the difference.
I did want to post yesterday but unfortunately I had to work and that took up the whole night. We also had our first football game last night which would have been fun to go to but oh well. Every year on 9/11 I read a post that really makes me think. Every year I've also listened to the little girl writing letters to her father and I just cry through the whole thing.
This is the post I read this year though.
"I woke up on September 11, 2001 thinking it would be a normal day. It wasn't. Our lives were forever changed. Every year we always say "‪#‎NeverForget‬", but as time goes on it becomes easier and easier to do just that. I remember the outcry for revenge, the sadness and pain as we watched the carnage, the bravery of first responders and the unity we all felt in the face of utter helplessness. We shall never forget the anguish on the faces of those closest to those we lost. It is when we come to the end of ourselves, when odds are insurmountable, that we are most compelled to turn to God. Catastrophe is sometimes that catalyst, forcing us to our knees, begging for answers. Millions upon millions of Americans praying...that is what I remember most about that day. Football was suddenly irrelevant as I bowed, kneeling with my teammates on the practice field crying out to God through our tears in fear, anger, and disbelief. The national response was to pray, as well it should have been, yet prayer should also be a common occurrence in times of peace and prosperity. Today, as I "Never Forget", I am challenged to pray in times when things seem to be under my control because prayer is about much more than addressing our emergencies. It is how we grow closer to the God we sometimes only feel compelled to talk to in times of distress. A loving father, which He is, will go to great lengths to comfort his children in times of need, yet the sweetest, most fulfilling part of the relationship is experienced in the intimacy of daily life. May we take time today to remember lives lost on that infamous day. May we reflect upon our Union and the myriad threats to it, understanding the fragility of our perceived invincibility. May we be grateful that we live in a place where tragedies of such great magnitude are not the norm. May we begin to make prayer a lifestyle not an exception. May we not be a people who only reach out to Him in crisis yet ignore him with the rest of our lives. God bless those of you who lost loved ones or were in some way personally affected on September 11, 2001. We haven't forgotten."
There is no way that we could ever forget 9/11. We will talk and think about it for years to come. Yesterday we painted our faces, wore American flag shirts and so much more. I remember someone saying that in a way we were making light of a sad situation. I can understand why they would think that but doing nothing and being somber isn't going to do anything. If I had died that day I would want to see American pride and joy. Maybe some did it for just the heck of it but some did it because they remember those people. I wish that I could say that I remember that day but honestly I faintly just remember sitting in the living room which is what I did everyday at some point in the day when I was a kid which isn't shocking. My Mom was doing daycare at the time and she said that parents were coming to pick up their kids. It's also my parents wedding anniversary.

I hope that you're having a good day today and enjoying the rain.


DFTBA
-AB

Comments

Popular Posts