Too Much Responsibility!

Since when does this apply to me?!
     I've been working on college applications today and I was going to include a draft of an essay I wrote on my favorite word, but thought better of it. Luck would have it that some college admissions counselor would find it on this blog and think I plagiarized. Sigh. Internet problems. Like DL, I've been working on summer assignments and I'm beginning to regret signing up for AP Chem. I hardly remember any of it and it's not as intuitive as I'd hoped it would be, and the book is not as helpful as you'd expect it to be. Take this problem, for example: "A flask weighs 76.83 g when filled with bromine and 55.63 g when filled with water (d= 1.00 g/cm^3). How much does the flask weigh when empty?" Seems super easy. No idea how to begin. Just trying to get through this, slowly but surely.
     When I was filling out my application for the University of Delaware there was a question about whether I wanted to be considered for the World Scholars program and a link to click on with more information about what the World Scholars program was so I clicked on it and at first I was like, "Wow this sounds awesome! Spend a semester studying abroad in Rome?! Opportunities for teaching abroad after graduation? Sign me up!" But then I thought about it. Did I really want to go straight from high school to Rome? I wouldn't even get a chance to move into my dorm in college before flying across the Atlantic and living an ocean away for three and a half months. And I had thought that airfare and other expenses would be included as part of the program, but apparently not. As much as I want the opportunity to study abroad, I'm not ready to commit to my first semester of college being in a foreign country, away from my family and friends, with only 50 other kids from the US. That's way too much, way too fast. So I politely declined the offer. No matter where I go to college, there will be opportunities to study abroad and I'll actually get to pick a time that is convenient and comfortable for me. I guess more than anything it kind of shocked me that I've gotten to that point in my life: the point where I check a box and there's the possibility of me spending an entire semester in Italy right out of high school. I should not be allowed to make those kinds of decisions for myself. I'm 17! Not even a legal adult! Why am I even allowed to choose where I want to go to school?! Shouldn't someone be picking for me?! That's how the last 17 years have gone. Why do I suddenly get to decide for myself what I want to be and where I want to go and what I want to do? There is no logical reason. But I guess I kind of like it, as much as it scares me.

Day 627 Song Recommendation: "Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall" by Coldplay.
-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts